Sign in to follow this  
Dominikk85

The grandal hate is vastly overblown

31 minutes ago, periphery831 said:

Hey guys, new to the board and love the chat. Not Grandal's biggest fan since the season started but aren't his struggles at the plate due to his lack of seeing pitchers in the AL? 

Give him at least a year. 

He has stated he is big on using video between at bats which has been banned.  The unfamiliarity with pitchers plays into no video.  It will matter different amounts to different players.  Probably hurts the cerebral guys which catchers often are.  He also commented on the catching side that video helps seeing that nights strike zone.

• Like 2

It's more realistic assessment of his strengths and weaknesses, and whether the highest contract should have gone to a position that was adequate (offensively / defensively / pitcher management / game prep) paired with Collins as backup, or whether $$$ was better spent in RF and the rotation. Perhaps Grandal can pick up some good work and game preparation habits from McCann and gain the trust of Lucas and others.

Los Angeles and Milwaukee let him walk the past two off-seasons after seeing him first hand. both teams far more successful than Hahn during his tenure. Time will tell whether Grandal can handle full seasons in his 30s over the life of his contract and not suffer a significant decline. Molina and Fisk are anomalies in terms of going strong in their 30s behind the plate. It will take a lot of preparation and conditioning beyond what he has done to date.

Steve Stone spoke to the fact that offensive catchers like Grandal do not come to the table with the same type of preparation and thoughtfulness as catchers like McCann. When the offense drops, to early to tell whether the slugging rate is a small sample or sign of decline, Grandal will need to do things he hasn't done in the past.

Steve Stone compares and contrasts McCann and Grandal at the 20:45 mark on the Lawrence Holmes show.

https://www.radio.com/media/audio-channel/holmes-steve-stone-interview-hour-1

Edited by South Side Hit Men

14 hours ago, gusguyman said:

MX5KjY1.png

Not sure whose framing stat you were checking (since there are a few out there now), but fangraphs has Grandal tied for 4th in their framing stat (FRM). FWIW rSZ is the framing stat from SIS, and they actually have Grandal 1st in the league right now.

Grandal's fWAR would be even higher, in fact, if he wasn't getting demolished in rCERA right now, and I think he has gotten pretty unlucky there.

This is crazy.  I can't believe Contreras is where he is.  He frames like an 8th grader.  He violently pulled every pitch to the middle of the zone.  I can't wait for robo umps just to kill all this stupid framing talk.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Grandal has supposedly been not so good but his current wRC + and OPS+ are higher than James McCann’s 2019 numbers.

Also crazy that Grandal has a higher OBP than Abreu right now.

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also crazy that Grandal has a higher OBP than Abreu right now.

That's not crazy at all.  I would be shocked if it was opposite of that.  OBP is Grandal's best skill, and clearly not what Abreu is focused on.  

With that said though, I get what you are saying.  With all the negative attention towards Grandal, he is still getting his walks.  He has basically been the player he has always been.

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

That's not crazy at all.  I would be shocked if it was opposite of that.  OBP is Grandal's best skill, and clearly not what Abreu is focused on.  

Yeah, in most years, it would be a no-brainer that Grandal would have a higher OBP.  But this year, Abreu is having an MVP caliber year and "Grandal sucks" according to some people here. I'm saying it's crazy based on how people feel about both THIS year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, in most years, it would be a no-brainer that Grandal would have a higher OBP.  But this year, Abreu is having an MVP caliber year and "Grandal sucks" according to some people here. I'm saying it's crazy based on how people feel about both THIS year.

Well, its almost like there is more than one statistical category that should be considered.  Grandal's OBP being .002 higher is not really an indication that he is killing it, he is just doing what he does.  Grandal has also K'd more than Abreu, in 40(ish) fewer PAs.  Not to mention that Abreu's OPS is more than 200 points higher.  

I just don't really understand comparing those guys honestly.  They are such different players.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Well, its almost like there is more than one statistical category that should be considered.  Grandal's OBP being .002 higher is not really an indication that he is killing it, he is just doing what he does.  Grandal has also K'd more than Abreu, in 40(ish) fewer PAs.  Not to mention that Abreu's OPS is more than 200 points higher.  

I just don't really understand comparing those guys honestly.  They are such different players.  

I wasn't trying to make some grand point. I was simply saying that if you asked a bunch of people on this message board to guess which guy has gotten on base more between Abreu and Grandal based only on watching the games and without looking at any stats, most (including me) would have guessed Abreu.  That's all I was saying. I wasn't trying to get into some debate/discussion about the value of different stats, and I wasn't trying to claim that Grandal has been killing it.

I apologize for not being clear. I certainly wasn't trying to compare the two players based on that one simple stat. 

Grandal is good. 

Yasmani Grandal since August 1:
.273/.393/.489
5 HR  14 RBI  18 BB  29 K

-per Chuck Garfein on Twitter 

• Like 2

Season wRC+ up to 122 which is basically what you expect. In a normal season a bad first two weeks probably wouldn't have been noticed but of course this year it is like a quarter of the season.

Grandal is good offensively, but his gamecalling sucks and it's not surprising at all that the pitchers prefer throwing to McCann. It's something for Grandal to work on this winter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Grandal is good offensively, but his gamecalling sucks and it's not surprising at all that the pitchers prefer throwing to McCann. It's something for Grandal to work on this winter. 

If Grandal hasn’t worked on his game-calling at this point in his career, it ain’t happening bud.

And outside of Giolito, who has come out and said they prefer McCann catching them?

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not even remotely true

• Like 3

13 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Grandal is hitting .273 with an .881 OPS in his last 25 games. But people still think he’s been a disappointment.

He's good. I like him.

• Like 2

Grandal won't stay this hot as he was the last two weeks and he will have empty weeks where he hits .100 with one extra base hit again (still will give you walks) but it is the bottom line you pay for and that bottom line is good.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Where do you get these hot takes? Is there like a fortune cookie for bad baseball takes you get somewhere?

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Haha 2

On 9/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Dallas Keuchel praised his game calling yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dallas Keuchel praised his game calling yesterday. 

If you look carefully, you can clearly see Rick Hahn with a gun in the background.

• Haha 2