Game Thread - 3/15 Sox vs Cubbos - 3:05 PM CST

ron883

13 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Organizational filler that grounded into a double play when we had a great chance to BEAT THE CUBS. 

Yes, I am angry. 

We gave up Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Kahnle (that's the one that really hurt) for a guy who will never make Triple A. 

I don't even know; I just want to b****. Has Rutherford ever made it to Triple A?

Dude he is likely to start out in Triple A. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Organizational filler that grounded into a double play when we had a great chance to BEAT THE CUBS. 

Yes, I am angry. 

We gave up Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Kahnle (that's the one that really hurt) for a guy who will never make Triple A. 

I don't even know; I just want to b****. Has Rutherford ever made it to Triple A?

Rutherford will likely start this year in AAA 🤷‍♂

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Rutherford will likely start this year in AAA 🤷‍♂

Not only that oh well.  When the sox traded for him I was excited for the return.  That said not all trades work out.  If the sox never win anything, I'm not going to look back and say it was the Rutherford trade that was the difference. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Not only that oh well.  When the sox traded for him I was excited for the return.  That said not all trades work out.  If the sox never win anything, I'm not going to look back and say it was the Rutherford trade that was the difference. 

Fully agree.  To be honest, I’m still more upset about the secondary pieces being so lackluster at the time of the trade than what’s transpired with Rutherford because he was simply a gamble that didn’t work out.  I never had much faith in Clarkin or Tito whatever the fuck his name was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why?  Nobody is going to be go balls to the wall right now.  It's a good sign that he's not trying to be big dick nick right now.

Being out with shoulder issues for three weeks, after season ending shoulder injury, is a good sign to you? I commend your uninhabitable optimism

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Yes, I am angry. 

Yeah they should have been able to get more volume out of all that value. Should have gotten at least a Rutherford for each of Robertson and Kahnle minimum. Maybe Reinsdorf owed the Steinbrenners something

42 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Agreed.  I held out hope for him all last year because of reports out of the alternate site.  This spring he's looked exactly the same. A lot of weak grounders to the second baseman.  No biggie. Onto the next.  It does hurt, however, when I remember the Sox were "this close" to trading Robertson to the Nationals for Jesus Luzardo.  Oh, what might have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

God damn Blake Rutherford. So glad we wasted all those vets when we traded for him. I hated that deal then and hate it even more as Rutherford pisses away a chance to beat the Cubs. 

He's been a great addition to the Sox Single A and Double A teams. 

What a f-kin waste. Would make me happy if they released him tonight. 

The trade was a salary dump, cause Jerry is broke.

I’d blame Hendriks for giving up a bomb to some guy named Pat Wisdom if I were to get worked up over a Spring Training game. Or Eaton’s dumb caught stealing at 3rd.

I was happy with Cease’s performance, Eloy looked good at the plate. Wondering if Madrigal will make OD, or whether Grandal will be able to catch to start the season.

6 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Yeah they should have been able to get more volume out of all that value. Should have gotten at least a Rutherford for each of Robertson and Kahnle minimum. Maybe Reinsdorf owed the Steinbrenners something

IMO Robertson + Frazier for Rutherford + Clarkin + Polo + Clippard's contract was a very fair and even deal in value at the time.  

Kahnle in there was absurd.  I remember when that trade was going through just waiting around for the second big name to come in.  It never did.

There is one thing about that trade that I like to bring up just because: Bruuuuuuuuuce Levine is the one who broke it.  For all of the shit he gets, he was by far the first on that one.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The trade was a salary dump, cause Jerry is broke.

I’d blame Hendriks for giving up a bomb to some guy named Pat Wisdom if I were to get worked up over a Spring Training game. Or Eaton’s dumb caught stealing at 3rd.

I was happy with Cease’s performance, Eloy looked good at the plate. Wondering if Madrigal will make OD, or whether Grandal will be able to catch to start the season.

Yes, I think someone on this board explained it as a salary dump, and after reading that, I always accepted that as the reason behind the trade.

As to whom to blame for the loss, I wasn’t trying to be logical, just major pissed because I always want to beat the Cubs, even in ST.

Blake Rutherford was #5 in NYY system and 51 in MLB when that trade happened. Thus far he has not lived up to the hype. Seems like he could still blossom but for now, it looks like we were fleeced.

from MLB.com on Rutherford 

The most productive hitter on the U.S. national team that won a gold medal at the 18-and-under World Cup in Japan last September, Rutherford began 2016 as the top-rated high school position player in the Draft. Eventually passed by fellow California outfielder Mickey Moniak, who became the No. 1 overall pick of the Phillies, Rutherford still was held in high regard. The Yankees took him with the 18th selection and paid him a well-over-slot bonus of $3,282,000, a club record for a position player.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Blake Rutherford was #5 in NYY system and 51 in MLB when that trade happened. Thus far he has not lived up to the hype. Seems like he could still blossom but for now, it looks like we were fleeced.

The most productive hitter on the U.S. national team that won a gold medal at the 18-and-under World Cup in Japan last September, Rutherford began 2016 as the top-rated high school position player in the Draft. Eventually passed by fellow California outfielder Mickey Moniak, who became the No. 1 overall pick of the Phillies, Rutherford still was held in high regard. The Yankees took him with the 18th selection and paid him a well-over-slot bonus of $3,282,000, a club record for a position player.

To be fair, Rutherford was already trending in the wrong direction at the time as publications are always behind what actual scouts think.  That beijf said, he had recently been highly regarded and he was a good gamble to roll the dice on.  Unfortunately it just didn’t work for us.

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Rutherford was already trending in the wrong direction at the time as publications are always behind what actual scouts think.  That beijf said, he had recently been highly regarded and he was a good gamble to roll the dice on.  Unfortunately it just didn’t work for us.

That’s why you usually don’t see multiple viable major leaguers traded for one prospect but rather the inverse. Definitely something fishy with that trade

15 minutes ago, Vulture said:

That’s why you usually don’t see multiple viable major leaguers traded for one prospect but rather the inverse. Definitely something fishy with that trade

There was definitely a salary dumping component to the trade that reduced the return.  What’s truly sad is we almost ended up Luzardo+ for just Robertson and certainly could have gotten something nice if we dealt Kahnle alone.

• Thanks 1

Kopech could choose to  be an elite Closer and prolong his career. It doesn't seem like Kopech ever wanted to do that though.

Maybe Kopech gets  to start after the rotation turns around 3 or 4 times.  Today it looked like he had quite a bit of gas left after a short inning. Maybe next time they let him pitch 2 innings and then go from there. Kopech has to be the best news from Spring Training so far.  He's baa-ack and he looked every bit like a top of rotation starter.

Edited by tray

5 hours ago, Flash said:

Now the White Sox have BOTH guys, lol...day late, dollar short.

High school talent is a REAL crapshoot.  Even at the big league level, it's taking most their first 2-3 years to get their feet under them....the real value is going to be found in FA contracts for those guys maturing in their late 20's.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

High school talent is a REAL crapshoot.  Even at the big league level, it's taking most their first 2-3 years to get their feet under them....the real value is going to be found in FA contracts for those guys maturing in their late 20's.

White Sox don't have Moniak, do they?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Senior moment, Caulfield.

No Mickey Moniak for our Sox.

But we did acquire Mikie Mahtook.

Personally, I wanted Mickey Mantle.