Tigers @ Sox

Kyyle23

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I went last Friday!  The park is roped off into pods.  So you have to enter in a certain entrance by where your seats are.  Took a couple stops to figure that out before we'd be let in.  Also, if you're going with a wife/gf, make sure they don't bring a bag.  Saw plenty inside, but they wouldn't like my wife in with a small purse and she had to walk in back to the car.  Other than that - pretty much the same, but it sure sucked not being able to get my favorite Sox Park food in the elote since it wasn't in my pod! 

Not to encourage rule-breaking, but you can walk from pod to pod without much trouble if you need to.  I know because my kids and I walked around a lot on Saturday night and only later learned that these restrictions existed.  Nobody checked our tickets.  Maybe it's because I had kids with me, not sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Not to encourage rule-breaking, but you can walk from pod to pod without much trouble if you need to.  I know because my kids and I walked around a lot on Saturday night and only later learned that these restrictions existed.  Nobody checked our tickets.  Maybe it's because I had kids with me, not sure.

Hmmm. I specifically asked an usher near the partition if I could pass through and I was told no. But I didn’t push any beyond that. I live in Minneapolis so I don’t get to go to Sox Park more than once or twice a year so I was bummed to miss out on my favorite ballpark fare! 

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You have to think at some point in the next year or so Miggy says I'm done and they do a deferral deal or something lmao

Yet people are always ready to sign players to long term deals saying that they expect the players to be bad in the last few. 

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yet people are always ready to sign players to long term deals saying that they expect the players to be bad in the last few. 

True but this isn't Miggys first big deal with the Tigers, this is his second.  He had already shown them that he wasn't all that interested in staying in shape even though he still could rake.  He spent a bulk of the next five years after he signed it on the DL

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hmmm. I specifically asked an usher near the partition if I could pass through and I was told no. But I didn’t push any beyond that. I live in Minneapolis so I don’t get to go to Sox Park more than once or twice a year so I was bummed to miss out on my favorite ballpark fare! 

If you ask they're gonna say no because that is technically the rules, but I was able to walk the length of concourse without anyone asking for my ticket.  They have these gates up but the employees standing at them don't do anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have you been to Target Field this year? I plan on going in May when they play the Sox. If you have, what has it been like?

19 minutes ago, Green Line said:

If you ask they're gonna say no because that is technically the rules, but I was able to walk the length of concourse without anyone asking for my ticket.  They have these gates up but the employees standing at them don't do anything.

Definitely my experience.

19 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Have you been to Target Field this year? I plan on going in May when they play the Sox. If you have, what has it been like?

I have not been yet this year.  Usually just go when the Sox are in town. 

Have hear its portioned off like the cell tho.  Target Field is a great venue tho.  If you haven't been, you'll def enjoy! 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have not been yet this year.  Usually just go when the Sox are in town. 

Have hear its portioned off like the cell tho.  Target Field is a great venue tho.  If you haven't been, you'll def enjoy! 

Haven't been, heard good things about it. Thanks!! Any suggestions in particular I should check out at the park if I can? Or the surrounding area in Minneapolis?

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Haven't been, heard good things about it. Thanks!! Any suggestions in particular I should check out at the park if I can? Or the surrounding area in Minneapolis?

Minneapolis is tough right now.  Tbh, you definitely won't get the same experience as you would have pre-covid/George Floyd outside of the ballpark itself.  Just a lot less activity downtown than usual.  For instance, I've worked downtown for about a decade now and I haven't stepped foot in my office since mid-March 2020. I've really only been downtown a handful of times in the past 15 months.  This is pretty much the case for most of downtown employees.  Tons of restaurants are still not re-opened and a lot of downtown is boarded up.  Its sad.  But there is plenty to do, and dtown Minneapolis is very walkable.  Would definitely recommend heading across the river to NE Minneapolis (like 15-20 min walk from Target Field), where things are little more open, and you'll find more restaurants, breweries, patio seating etc open. Just east of the ballpark is an called the North Loop and that area is pretty happening still and will find lots of good restaurants and younger people milling about going to bars.  A few restaurant suggestions in the area  - Parlor Bar (best burger in MPLS), Bar LaGrassa, Smack Shack, Young Joni (best pizza in MPLS). I promise you none of those will disappoint.  

As for the park - I would definitely recommend sitting in different places for each game.  The last 15-20 rows behind the dugouts are their own section with comfy/padded seats and private dining options below the stands.  Definitely would recommend splurging 1 game and sitting down there.  My company has seats 3rd row behind the visitor dugout and that is super duper fun place to sit when the Sox are in town.  This is different than the scout seats behind the plate and a very clear step down.  Think more like $60-85 tickets as opposed to several hundred.

There is an overhang in rightcenter field where there is like 4-6 rows of seats up above the limestone wall - also a very fun place to watch a game and can get seats pretty affordably.  Would recommend trying that one game as well.  LF bleachers (with back rests) is also a fun place to sit. Champions Club (similar to whatever used to be called the LG Skyline club at the Cell - not sure what its called these days), is also a good spot.   I would avoid the upper deck in all honesty.     

Foodwise - its mainly your typical ballpark fare, but I would recommend the smaller/movable stands as opposed to the built in more generic stands.  Several good options to try out.  Minneapolis is a big craft beer city, so lots of beer stands offering the local brews.  If you drink beer, give a few a try!

All in all, Minneapolis is a great place to visit and I think you'll really enjoy it.  Not exactly the best time in its history, but still plenty to do and the ballpark is beautiful.  Go Sox!     Feel free to DM me with any questions as it gets closer.  Happy to help! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Minneapolis is tough right now.  Tbh, you definitely won't get the same experience as you would have pre-covid/George Floyd outside of the ballpark itself.  Just a lot less activity downtown than usual.  For instance, I've worked downtown for about a decade now and I haven't stepped foot in my office since mid-March 2020. I've really only been downtown a handful of times in the past 15 months.  This is pretty much the case for most of downtown employees.  Tons of restaurants are still not re-opened and a lot of downtown is boarded up.  Its sad.  But there is plenty to do, and dtown Minneapolis is very walkable.  Would definitely recommend heading across the river to NE Minneapolis (like 15-20 min walk from Target Field), where things are little more open, and you'll find more restaurants, breweries, patio seating etc open. Just east of the ballpark is an called the North Loop and that area is pretty happening still and will find lots of good restaurants and younger people milling about going to bars.  A few restaurant suggestions in the area  - Parlor Bar (best burger in MPLS), Bar LaGrassa, Smack Shack, Young Joni (best pizza in MPLS). I promise you none of those will disappoint.  

As for the park - I would definitely recommend sitting in different places for each game.  The last 15-20 rows behind the dugouts are their own section with comfy/padded seats and private dining options below the stands.  Definitely would recommend splurging 1 game and sitting down there.  My company has seats 3rd row behind the visitor dugout and that is super duper fun place to sit when the Sox are in town.  This is different than the scout seats behind the plate and a very clear step down.  Think more like $60-85 tickets as opposed to several hundred.

There is an overhang in rightcenter field where there is like 4-6 rows of seats up above the limestone wall - also a very fun place to watch a game and can get seats pretty affordably.  Would recommend trying that one game as well.  LF bleachers (with back rests) is also a fun place to sit. Champions Club (similar to whatever used to be called the LG Skyline club at the Cell - not sure what its called these days), is also a good spot.   I would avoid the upper deck in all honesty.     

Foodwise - its mainly your typical ballpark fare, but I would recommend the smaller/movable stands as opposed to the built in more generic stands.  Several good options to try out.  Minneapolis is a big craft beer city, so lots of beer stands offering the local brews.  If you drink beer, give a few a try!

All in all, Minneapolis is a great place to visit and I think you'll really enjoy it.  Not exactly the best time in its history, but still plenty to do and the ballpark is beautiful.  Go Sox!     Feel free to DM me with any questions as it gets closer.  Happy to help! 

Thanks for the writeup, may have to plan a road trip this year!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They are god awful with almost nothing to show for 5 years of rebuilding.  They only need about half a dozen position players and maybe they could win 80 games sometime soon.  Their young pitching looks busty.  Mize has gone from a can't miss ace to a guy you hope is a solid 3rd starter.

Busty? Sure, Mize and Skubal have looked bad, but they each have roughly 50 total IP in the majors. Plenty of time for them to make adjustments and grow. Matt Manning lurks as well.

The position player side is indeed ugly, though.