08/16 Game Thread: Oakland Athletics at Sox 7:10 ESPN/CSN

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Being pumped up has never been an issue for him.

That's why I said extra. His slider looked the best it's lookex all season. If he can pitch like that going forward, we got somethin. Maybe he should pretend he's closing against the A's every outing.

18 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

bullpen about to have 9 ks tonight

Sox version of Nasty Boys clicking tonight.  Was a great game for the Sox.  Finally started putting runners in motion.  Nasty bullpen. Timely hits.  One of the best 
played Sox games of the season.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

The eye test tells me Hendriks is the closer. Tony is doing this the right way. The three pitchers are being used in the right order to close games.

For now. The good thing is as long as they are healthy, the next 6 weeks can decide the final slotting based on any ups or downs. 

Great win of a series opener especially w the lineup. 10 hits and they were spread throughout the lineup.  

Kopech, Kimbrel  and Hendriks finally did it right. If we get this this rest of the year it’s a 6 inning game when we’re a head. Kuechel, even though he settled down and somewhat decent still worries the shit out of me. Gives up too many home runs but he can field his position with best of them. THANK GOD we only need 3, maybe 4 starters he he may not be one of them. 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Kopech, Kimbrel  and Hendriks finally did it right. If we get this this rest of the year it’s a 6 inning game when we’re a head. Kuechel, even though he settled down and somewhat decent still worries the shit out of me. Gives up too many home runs but he can field his position with best of them. THANK GOD we only need 3, maybe 4 starters he he may not be one of them. 

I would be surprised if Keuchel started in the playoffs, long relief maybe

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Crochet has really heated up as well.  His last two outings are 3.2 innings with 8 K

21 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Crochet has really heated up as well.  His last two outings are 3.2 innings with 8 K

On top of that, Bummer seems to have found his groove as well. He hasn't given up a run since July 23 (9 appearances, 8.2 innings, 13 K, 2 hits!)

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I have a feeling he's going to be quite the cancer if/when he doesnt

I would rather have Keuchel coming out and starting vs the bullpen.  I don't really trust him pitching in relief.  I think we'll know in the last month.  If this is what we get from both Keuchel and Cease, I'm comfortable having Dallas start.  If Cease goes on a Contreras like run, than Cease has to start in the playoffs.  Cease's stuff makes him a better fit for the bullpen in the playoffs though.

the sox need to develop a plan of usage that assures that Kuechel does not get to 160IP in one of these next two years

That may not be possible this year short of a six man rotation or a couple of skips in his rotational turns.  It appears he would have about 8 more starts.  If they can reduce that to 6 and never let him go more than 5 innings (which is completely justifiable given his present work), they just might be able to avoid that 4th year of his contract at 20 million

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic