MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

45 minutes ago, Sarava said:

To me Bryant is a better option than Conforto or Castellanos - but I realize there's been no smoke there and it's not happening.

Conforto is the better hitter against RHP and that’s our biggest weakness.  He’s also a better defensive RF.  Given the expected costs, give me Conforto hands down.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Conforto is the better hitter against RHP and that’s our biggest weakness.  He’s also a better defensive RF.  Given the expected costs, give me Conforto hands down.

One thing Bryant has going for him is his position versatility.  When Moncada goes down, you can put him at 3B. He can even play CF when Robert gets hurt., and Engel is rehabbing. Not ideal but it won't kill you if it's for a couple of weeks. 

The other thing he could probably do is turn some Cubs fans in to Sox fans.

Conforto probably is the better fit, especially in the most important category, economics.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing Bryant has going for him is his position versatility.  When Moncada goes down, you can put him at 3B. He can even play CF when Robert gets hurt., and Engel is rehabbing. Not ideal but it won't kill you if it's for a couple of weeks. 

The other thing he could probably do is turn some Cubs fans in to Sox fans.

Conforto probably is the better fit, especially in the most important category, economics.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think Bryant is the better player and his versatility plays a big part in that.  But given the weakness of the AL Central, I’m placing a greater value on who the better fit is come October and I think Conforto solves more problems than Bryant does in RF.  That being said, I obviously wouldn’t complain if they signed Kris instead, but I agree the economics probably make this a moot point since Michael will come on a discount.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Really?  My wife is a huge Cubs fan and always thought Bryant was kind of a tool.  She was a much bigger fan of Rizzo & Baez.

Which is funny because Bryant is the ultimate professional on the field and the other two have had some dirty/unprofessional moments 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Conforto is more boom or bust. If he repeats his 2021 or is even close to that level, then it's going to look like an awfully dumb signing. But if he returns to a few years ago, he would be a better addition than Bryant.

Where with Kris Bryant - we know what we're going to get. He's not what he was 5 years ago, but he has versatility and adds punch to the Sox lineup. Defensively him and Conforto might be a wash in RF. And I don't know that Bryant has a huge market out there for him. All we hear is Seattle wants him. but does he really want to go to Seattle? Moneywise, we'll see what Kris gets. Remember when he was supposed to be the first 400 mil guy? He will be lucky to get 100 now.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:34 AM, southsider2k5 said:

The Padres were offering a big time prospect for a team to take on Hosmer.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/al-notes-rangers-hosmer-royals-wells.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I don't know how to read that. They were offering Hassel, but that was in talks for Gallo.