MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

The FO has been content so long with being runner's up on contracts...it gets the fans interested and shows the team "is really trying"! It may be what gets Jerry off to be honest. But in this twitter and forum heavy world...that trick doesn't work anymore and they have to adjust. The Bulls overpaid Ball and DeRozan because they HAD to make an effort to field a deep team. NO MORE EXCUSES. Sign someone OVER market value...it's the fucking Chicago market! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't see Scherzer at $43.5M AAV or Sox smashing their biggest FA contract ever for Robby Ray as realistic fits when we already have one of the best rotations in the game. So I don't find it all that subjective - I find it realistic.  

The complacency is maddening.

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

The FO has been content so long with being runner's up on contracts...it gets the fans interested and shows the team "is really trying"! It may be what gets Jerry off to be honest. But in this twitter and forum heavy world...that trick doesn't work anymore and they have to adjust. The Bulls overpaid Ball and DeRozan because they HAD to make an effort to field a deep team. NO MORE EXCUSES. Sign someone OVER market value...it's the fucking Chicago market! 

Can you use more capital letters so that people can actually ready your posts?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like one of the best rotations in the game should be able to pitch 5 innings in the playoffs and not walk like 7 batters per 9. 

Sox SP flopped in the playoffs.  Rodon included.  No ifs ands or buts.  But I will take the 162 game sample over the 4 game sample EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like one of the best rotations in the game should be able to pitch 5 innings in the playoffs and not walk like 7 batters per 9. 

It was a piss poor performance and hopefully next time we get a 2005-esq revival. Sans the complete games since that’s never happening again in this sport.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

The Bulls did not overpay for Ball and DeRozan based on NBA contracts. 

Plus, the two sports cannot be compared when it comes to finances and payroll. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox SP flopped in the playoffs.  Rodon included.  No ifs ands or buts.  But I will take the 162 game sample over the 4 game sample EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Yes.  They have the most talent even right now.  

This talent cannot shit all over itself in the playoffs.  I still can’t believe it.  I think the Sox would have massacred the Braves.  

Just now, Snopek said:

The complacency is maddening.

Some fans lack of understanding that the Sox operate within a budget and likely always will (even once JR is gone) is equally maddening.  You're getting mad at something that was never going to happen anyway.  Sox have ~$170M+ committed to this team as is.  No way they're going over $200M.  Only so many dollars to go around. 

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the process is bad. I think they're one of the best teams in the American League regardless though. 

You and I are super aligned. I think they mucked this up and can do so much more and better with this squad - but it is still a spectacular squad with 7 guys that will be above average hitters (in my opinion) and that is before they address RF and 2B, which I would be stunned if they didn't do. And I don't expect it to be a Edwin Encarnacion/Adam Eaton type in either of those spots.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I agree, there isn’t much starting pitching left, so hopefully that wasn’t a big part of their plan.  Just frustrating to hear they misread the market…if that’s true hopefully it doesn’t cost us.

Tbh, I don’t think it’s going to cost them as much because they don’t need to make that many moves. If they had to make a ton of moves and splashes than I would say yes but their roster already has a bunch of competent/future and current star players. If starting pitching is something that is a big part of their plan than they will probably trade for one like what’s been mentioned all along. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd love see the Twins hand Rodon 3/$55M just to see him make 30 starts the next three years.  

I'd offer Rodon that. I'll take a little risk that his 2020 was real and a new Rodon.  3/55 is a small enough risk for that production imo.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 1

Let’s face it the Sox are bargain bin hunters at the positions where it’s not smart to bargain shop. Their biggest contracts have been given out to a Catcher and Closer. They’re never playing with the big boys unless it’s on their terms which is just a waste of time for everyone involved.. This team won’t land a big fish until Jerry is gone it’s just the way it is and super f**king frustrating especially when this unproven lineup needed a big addition. And I like Conforto I just don’t think he does much for you TBH 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What have Boston, Tampa, Houston, and the Yankees done to make themselves better?  Those were the other "good teams" that made the playoffs last year.

Houston, Boston and the Yankees have been there so often that one off-season where they don't shove right away is fine.

If the Sox were sitting on multiple titles, consistent playoff appearances and consistent top 5 payrolls I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Sox fans here wouldn't be crying and screaming about every little thing.

The problem is the Sox have sucked for the majority of everyone's lifetime and they spent years not trying, to save money and assets to go for it when the time was right. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, literally, for the White Sox. They've never been this set up to compete and after participating in the FA market and negotiations for years they are still "shocked" by the market and caught off guard and stuck holding the bag of shit telling everyone it's candy.

This is why everyone who gave the Sox the benefit of the doubt on knowing Kimbrel's value when retaining him were so egregiously wrong. The Sox are one of the most clueless teams in the league when it comes to understanding MLB talents value.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sox wouldn't.  Or they'd have given him the QO.  And the Sox know more about his arm/shoulder than any other org in the game. 

This is also true.  But couldn't they have also not offered him it because they thought he would accept it AND they had their sights set higher (Scherzer/Verlander) but clearly missed?  I think that's also possible.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Bulls did not overpay for Ball and DeRozan based on NBA contracts. 

Plus, the two sports cannot be compared when it comes to finances and payroll. 

But it was a philosophy change within the same family. The Bulls have switched gears and are willing to be aggressive...why can't the Sox? DeRozan was called an overpay by nearly every pundit out there. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is also true.  But couldn't they have also not offered him it because they thought he would accept it AND they had their sights set higher (Scherzer/Verlander) but clearly missed?  I think that's also possible.

I think I'd rather have Rodon at 3/55 than Ray/Gauseman at 5/110+.  I have just as much faith in them as I do in Rodon.  But Rodon is half the cost with half the years.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Houston, Boston and the Yankees have been there so often that one off-season where they don't shove right away is fine.

If the Sox were sitting on multiple titles, consistent playoff appearances and consistent top 5 payrolls I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Sox fans here wouldn't be crying and screaming about every little thing.

and for some reason you don't think Boston, Dodgers and Yankees fans aren't screaming their heads off right now? What a nice little rock you live under. 

• Thanks 2