Offseason Thread

reiks12

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The obsession with moving one of the best defensive third basemen in baseball back to second base confounds me.

Moncada to 2nd, Burger to 3rd, Eloy in LF and Vaughn in RF. Defense won't matter with all the runs this team will score. 

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't see the Schwarber connection unless Vaughn is traded.  I don't want to trade him.

I am not someone that thinks the sox need to hit the perfect equilibrium of player to position. Sox may need to discard Kimbrel, Keuchel salaries, but they don't need to discard of anyone just for balance/playing time. They can just add more players. 

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bryant still puts up good numbers, but they have been down since his peak. He seems like a guy you may regret giving a long term deal fairly soon. There just is something about him that makes me think you always will expect more.

I don't disagree. I think he benefitted a lot however from Cubs showcasing his positional versatility. He really is a tremendous athlete. I wouldn't want to pay bryce harper money for Bryant. Really the best case scenario with him is you get a large contract with an opt out and he plays amazing and opts out. But more likely he injures his arm and you have a start to gulp pretty quickly.

You do worry he ends up as this Evan Longoria type for years, but so hard not to look at and think each year they go back to that bankable production.

I don't really see the Kris Bryant fit other than some Sox fans fascination with the Cubs, and inability to survey the rest of the league.  For one, he is going to be well outside of the Sox budget, and while he fills a need in RF and theoretically would be a better option than sticking a shitty lefty bat in RF (ala Adam Eaton) purely for handedness, he doesn't solve a lot of the issues the Sox need the their new RF to help fix. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really see the Kris Bryant fit other than some Sox fans fascination with the Cubs, and inability to survey the rest of the league.  For one, he is going to be well outside of the Sox budget, and while he fills a need in RF and theoretically would be a better option than sticking a shitty lefty bat in RF (ala Adam Eaton) purely for handedness, he doesn't solve a lot of the issues the Sox need the their new RF to help fix. 

Just to avoid the game of telephone, I don't think there is a chance in hell the sox sign bryant. Someone asked for dream acquisitions, and I was putting together what a "best free agent" list would be like without any constraints. My argument for Bryant would just be that if we addressed our RHP/contact/groundball issues with 2b and DH, then he would be the best RF acquisition in my opinion. And I actually think there are people who may say Marte maybe better or still stick with an upside play in conforto, and I think tha'ts interesting. But I still really like Bryant a lot. But no, the white sox are not getting Seager and Bryant and Schwarber and Max Scherzer

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just to avoid the game of telephone, I don't think there is a chance in hell the sox sign bryant. Someone asked for dream acquisitions, and I was putting together what a "best free agent" list would be like without any constraints. My argument for Bryant would just be that if we addressed our RHP/contact/groundball issues with 2b and DH, then he would be the best RF acquisition in my opinion. And I actually think there are people who may say Marte maybe better or still stick with an upside play in conforto, and I think tha'ts interesting. But I still really like Bryant a lot. But no, the white sox are not getting Seager and Bryant and Schwarber and Max Scherzer

To be clear, my post was in no way directed at you.  Just get annoyed with the constant "how about (insert former or current Cubs player?)" comments on here.  Bryant was just the latest one, along with Schwarber.  Was Happ yesterday.  Will be Baez tomorrow.  Never ends. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be clear, my post was in no way directed at you.  Just get annoyed with the constant "how about (insert former or current Cubs player?)" comments on here.  Bryant was just the latest one, along with Schwarber.  Was Happ yesterday.  Will be Baez tomorrow.  Never ends. 

To be fair, they are all really good players who would improve this team.

The one reason I wouldn’t mind the Sox signing Bryant, who can play 5 positions, is to hear all my Cubs fan friends who have put him on the pedestal, tell me how much he sucks. Kind of like when my Illini friends were so butt hurt when Bill Self went to Kansas, suddenly the guy that was going to lead them to multiple championships, was a horrid coach who slept with cheerleaders and sorority ladies according to their very in tuned sources .

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Happ is not a really good player and Baez is a bad fit for this team IMO.  The other two would be helpful though, but adding Schwarber only makes sense if trade Vaughn for someone like Lux.

Yeah, Happ can be left off, but Baez is a really good baseball player as well, and would improve the horrible IF defense a ton at 2B.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, Happ can be left off, but Baez is a really good baseball player as well, and would improve the horrible IF defense a ton at 2B.

Fully agree on the defense, but he’s really not good against RHP and just feels like a guy that will get overpaid IMO.  But damn, would Cubs fans riot if he joined the Sox.

Would love Willson Contreras. Would be a difference maker behind the plate, Grandal could catch Lynn and one more, DH/1B most other games. Both stay fresh. Thought Madrigal + Heuer for Contreras would have been a fair exchange in July, not sure if he was available. Sox should have been asking if he was. Young and healthy enough to extend for 2023.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would love Willson Contreras. Would be a difference maker behind the plate, Grandal could catch Lynn and one more, DH/1B most other games. Both stay fresh. Thought Madrigal + Heuer for Contreras would have been a fair exchange in July, not sure if he was available. Sox should have been asking if he was. Young and healthy enough to extend for 2023.

The phrases “overkill” and “diminishing returns” come to mind.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Happ is not a really good player

Happ has yet to reach his potential but he is a SH and offers positional flexibility, not to mention 25 HRs last year. His career line compares favorably to Baez and he would come at a fraction of the cost.

Career Javy Baez 8 yrs...264 .307 .477 .783 104
Career Ian Happ  5yrs. .241 .338 .467 .805 111

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

Moncada to 2nd, Burger to 3rd, Eloy in LF and Vaughn in RF. Defense won't matter with all the runs this team will score. 

You can't win by only out-slugging teams. From 2001-04, the Sox hit a ton of home runs and won nothing. The idea of Eloy in left and Vaughn in right is scary. And scary for the wrong reasons.

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

So we get worse defensively at 2 positions (2b, & 3b) and move Moncada to a more physically demanding position for a guy who gets ouchie a lot. All for Burger's small sample size of hitting well in the big leagues means he will continue to hit. This is ignoring that right before he was sent down he was having trouble laying off/hitting sliders. 

Burger's value will likely never be higher than it is now. Trade him in a package with Keuchel to get rid of dallas and bring back a defensive 2nd catcher and or relief pitcher.

6 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So we get worse defensively at 2 positions (2b, & 3b) and move Moncada to a more physically demanding position for a guy who gets ouchie a lot. All for Burger's small sample size of hitting well in the big leagues means he will continue to hit. This is ignoring that right before he was sent down he was having trouble laying off/hitting sliders. 

Burger's value will likely never be higher than it is now. Trade him in a package with Keuchel to get rid of dallas and bring back a defensive 2nd catcher and or relief pitcher.

You can’t trade a Top 5 draft pick for that return when you can easily find it in FA…

• bmags locked this topic