Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
He sounded so excited to be here on the Score. Also made it sound like as long as the Sox don't treat him like the Cubs, he'd be open to an extension.

Bernstein is such as a$$. He asked JS what he thought about not being with the Cubs because of how good they are going to be in the next few years. He has his nose so far up Epstein's rear it isn't funny.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
The Sox didn't give up anything really special; but they shouldn't for 1 year of a player. They also didn't give up a bunch of chumps either. Ravelo is a high OBP guy that will be able to play 1B for some teams (who have power elsewhere). Semien is a nice infielder. Bassit was really improving.

I wouldn't have done this deal for 1 year of Shark. But they've certainly done worse trades.

The pitcher they got back is the type they've been loading up on - high K, but no control.

These guys you're speaking of were practically nobodies in a system that is horrible. I'm really not worried. I think Samardzija signs an extension, and with the Oakland does things, Semien will be with someone else in 4 years.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I want to be excited but I am a bit troubled by him moving from the NL, and a pitchers haven to the Cell....

He actually came from the AL, technically.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Bernstein is such as a$$. He asked JS what he thought about not being with the Cubs because of how good they are going to be in the next few years. He has his nose so far up Epstein's rear it isn't funny.

"I think it's fine because I'll be a member of the best team in Chicago."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)

Dude, he has fully dipped into the Cubs kool-aid. For being a self-professed Sox fan, he sure doesn't act like one. He knows nothing about our farm system, but fluffs theirs to no end despite no major league results. Watch, the White Sox win another World Series within the next 5 years and the Cubs get close, but never win one with this group of prospects.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Meh, I'm just excited, for the first time a few years my friends felt the need to actually talk crap about the white sox. Good! Friends talking baseball? Partying like it's 2007.

Yes. Shark is pretty much an icon in Chicago at this point between his ND and Cubs stints. I don't think many baseball players can directly put butts in the seats for us (that mostly comes indirectly from being good) but I do believe he can. There's a lot more talk about this move among the casuals then there would have been if we signed Scherzer or Lester (not that he's better). I still had to explain to a lot of people today who Jose Quintana was though.

Samardzija was not my first choice by any means but seeing what the Sox gave up to get him, I'm pretty happy. I'm kinda sad to see Bassitt and Ravelo a part of the trade but at least the Sox still have Anderson, Montas and Danish.

Also love the idea of having four starters ( Sale, Q, Zamardzija, Danks) that can pitch 200+ innings in a season and if Noesi continues his progress he could pitch 200 innings as well in 2015.

Most impressive off season so far by Hahn and his staff.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
These guys you're speaking of were practically nobodies in a system that is horrible.

That's simply false.

Nothing to worry about...just don't think the Sox made the best use of assets for the longer vision (1-5 years) of the team.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Rick Hahn just on MLB - good point about Shark helping guys like Rodon when he's brought up. Stressed the need for good clubhouse guys like LaRoche.

I like how he added he was going to get right back to it after he was done with their interview.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
Rick Hahn just on MLB - good point about Shark helping guys like Rodon when he's brought up. Stressed the need for good clubhouse guys like LaRoche.

yeah that was a given after getting Royce Clayton and that cancer. someone said, when i came

back for a visit, on Rush. the sox will never get another cancer, they will do their due diligence and

get as much background info.