2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 04:18 AM)
Apparently Travis Wood just made some ridiculous catch in LF tonight? All the writers are talking about it on Twitter, comparing every good play to it. Can I assume it was actually amazing, or just a catch that would not even make a highlight reel if it wasn't made by a pitcher?

A play that if it wasn't made, people would say it was because a pitcher was out there. Not a very difficult play at all.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:18 PM)
Apparently Travis Wood just made some ridiculous catch in LF tonight? All the writers are talking about it on Twitter, comparing every good play to it. Can I assume it was actually amazing, or just a catch that would not even make a highlight reel if it wasn't made by a pitcher?

Just saw it....yeah....if any normal OF makes that play, he is probably going to be laughed at for how bad it looked, not immortalized for how incredibly amazing it was. The dude ran about 30 feet for a flyball, turned over each shoulder, and then catch the ball right in front of the wall, stumbling in to it. I would say it was funny, but it wasn't incredible.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:22 AM)
Just saw it....yeah....if any normal OF makes that play, he is probably going to be laughed at for how bad it looked, not immortalized for how incredibly amazing it was. The dude ran about 30 feet for a flyball, turned over each shoulder, and then catch the ball right in front of the wall, stumbling in to it. I would say it was funny, but it wasn't incredible.

I could make that exact play right now.

That would have been awful by an OF.

I hate the Cubs. Watching them implode in October will redeem this season.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
I could make that exact play right now.

That would have been awful by an OF.

I would bet you $10,000 you couldn't make that play.

He's a pitcher. It's cool he made a good play. Crying about it doesn't put the white sox any closer to a championship

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)

He's a pitcher. It's cool he made a good play. Crying about it doesn't put the white sox any closer to a championship

Pretty sure Q wasn't serious when he said he could make that play. Just that it was nothing even close to spectacular for a regular OF and for emphasis he jokingly stated even he could make it.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:19 AM)

Yes, but you see, I dislike the Cubs for the same reason I dislike the Royals.

Being surrounded by their fanbases and having them ram it down your throat makes you, y'know, not like a team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:29 AM)
Pretty sure Q wasn't serious when he said he could make that play. Just that it was nothing even close to spectacular for a regular OF and for emphasis he jokingly stated even he could make it.

Ding ding ding.

Though honestly, in high school I could have probably made that play. Any not terrible OF could, because they wouldn't have gotten that weird jump and subsequent turn around.

Hell, I'd win Austin's $10,000 and Greg's house.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:57 AM)
Because Cubs malice is always worth discussing.

Saying the catch wasn't that great isn't Cubs malice. You don't have to be the Cubs white knight defender, nobody was saying the Cubs sucked

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
Saying the catch wasn't that great isn't Cubs malice. You don't have to be the Cubs white knight defender, nobody was saying the Cubs sucked

You didn't read his post

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
For a non-Cubs fan, you sure are sensitive to any criticism of them on this board.

People with Quinnie's attitude are annoying as s***, and they're the reason our fanbase isn't taken seriously. That and we don't show up to games.

Our fanbase's distaste for the Cubs (which is misplaced, because they don't f***ing matter to us), is a scar on the White Sox.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
You didn't read his post

People with Quinnie's attitude are annoying as s***, and they're the reason our fanbase isn't taken seriously. That and we don't show up to games.

Our fanbase's distaste for the Cubs (which is misplaced, because they don't f***ing matter to us), is a scar on the White Sox.

I read his post, he didnt say the Cubs suck, he said he doesnt like them. You dont have to tell everyone the Cubs are good every time someone says they dont like them. We have read it plenty.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
You didn't read his post

People with your self-righteous, smarter-than-thou attitude are why no one likes talking with you.

Am I not supposed to take Cubs fans seriously because they s*** on the White Sox non-stop? Because they do. Hell, my friend that moved to Chicago two years ago does it and she didn't grow up being told her fandom was stupid.

I understand you're a little tone-deaf down in Austin, but, you know use some common sense.

It's a crosstown rivalry. I also hate the Twins, cause rivalry.

They have direct financial impacts on each other, or are two teams competing in a market not obvious enough to you? Cause they do matter to the Sox. Probably moreso than any other team in baseball.

Come down off your high horse for once and let people experience sports how they want to.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
People with your self-righteous, smarter-than-thou attitude are why no one likes talking with you.

Quit being a petulant baby and I'll stop being all "smarter than thou".

Am I not supposed to take Cubs fans seriously because they s*** on the White Sox non-stop? Because they do. Hell, my friend that moved to Chicago two years ago does it and she didn't grow up being told her fandom was stupid.

Because the Cubs fans did so much s***ting in 2005. The last decade has earned the White Sox and their fans every ounce of s*** they get. From all directions. Again, quit being such a baby.

I understand you're a little tone-deaf down in Austin, but, you know use some common sense.

I moved to Austin well into my 20s.

It's a crosstown rivalry. I also hate the Twins, cause rivalry.

The Twins rivalry actually matters, though.

They have direct financial impacts on each other, or are two teams competing in a market not obvious enough to you? Cause they do matter to the Sox. Probably moreso than any other team in baseball.

This nonsense doesn't fly either. When the White Sox are good, they sell plenty of tickets and make the organization plenty of money. If the MLB didn't think Chicago could manage two teams, the White Sox wouldn't be here.

Come down off your high horse for once and let people experience sports how they want to.

This is a general Cubs board. The Cubs are good. That play was great when you consider who made it. I'm not sure what's so hard for you.

Get off my high horse? You're being such a baby, everyone is on a higher horse than you.

C'mon man, stop trying to police how other people should enjoy sports. Part of the fun in sports is hating a team, and it's pretty easy for a Sox fan living in Chicago to hate the Cubs. You're not a superior fan because you don't hate the Cubs. Why does it matter to you?

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Quit being a petulant baby and I'll stop being all "smarter than thou".

Because the Cubs fans did so much s***ting in 2005. The last decade has earned the White Sox and their fans every ounce of s*** they get. From all directions. Again, quit being such a baby.

I moved to Austin well into my 20s.

The Twins rivalry actually matters, though.

This nonsense doesn't fly either. When the White Sox are good, they sell plenty of tickets and make the organization plenty of money. If the MLB didn't think Chicago could manage two teams, the White Sox wouldn't be here.

This is a general Cubs board. The Cubs are good. That play was great when you consider who made it. I'm not sure what's so hard for you.

Get off my high horse? You're being such a baby, everyone is on a higher horse than you.

All this after i came in here and said you have the right to comment and appreciate the Cubs a month ago when other posters wanted you bounced for merely being a fan of what the Cubs are doing. stop being a jerk

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't know if he's a troll but his posts do scream that he's a cubs fan.

No non-Cubs fan would go this far to defend the team. I'm all for less biased talk about the Cubs on this board (sometimes we do go overboard), but there's no reason to defend the team at every turn. After all, this is a White Sox board.

The Cubs/Sox rivalry is mostly bitter because of how casual Cubs fans like to gloat about things like attendance to insult Sox fans and casual Sox fans gloating about how the Cubs haven't won anything in 100+ years. It's all dumb arguments. I'm no longer living in Chicago, so I'm mostly away from all the nonsense, but I still have friends of mine who are casual fans and like to bring up "Sox suck" every once in a while just to annoy me. I just ignore them and chalk it up to them being unintelligent baseball fans and move on.