Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Spring Training thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, tray said:

I wish every ST game was televised because I enjoy watching the game, win or lose, official or unofficial.

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The best shirts I saw after they won it all were from Cardinals fans, it read something like "Enjoy that one, because it will be another 106 years for another".

Lol, that's fantastic!  Love StL fans!  Nice comradery amongst Sox & Cards fans with common foe.   

Took many a Hawks road trips there and enjoyed & respected Blues fans, too.  One year, with many Cubs fans attending, we (8 Sox fans) did a Cards/Cubs game as well, wearing our Sox gear and rooting on the Cards.  It was a blowout for Cards and us!  Always had so much fun in that town with great fans & people.....especially when the Landing was still around!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not spring training related but does the clubhouse rule regarding no video referencing between atbats apply to 2021 also? that's gonna suck for a lot of guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

not spring training related but does the clubhouse rule regarding no video referencing between atbats apply to 2021 also? that's gonna suck for a lot of guys

No they changed it a bit to help the hitters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More baseball related in general but holy cow

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ha, it's a good thought but literally the only games I ever saw sold out down there were Cubs at Mesa after they won it all.  And even then it was "do I really want to pay 30 bucks to go see a spring training game" because plenty were available on secondary market for that price.  Face value was like 12-15.

Protip: always just buy lawn seats or cheapest possible.  Ushers at Camelback, especially early in camp, do not GAF.  You can go sit 4th row behind the plate and most times nobody will say anything.

Camelback is also kinda in the middle of nowhere, even for Arizona.  It's fairly far away from most of the real population centers so tends to only get hardcore Dodger and Sox fans in attendance.  Whereas some of the other parks like Mesa attract casuals.  Dodger fans are a hoot.  Fun people.  

They care if it’s a dodgers game. Dodgers/Sox game last year was packed. Other Sox games are virtually empty.

Giants games sell out too. Scottsdale is practically SF South in march

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent articles and podcasts:

Keuchel likes Jimmy Lambert https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/dallas-keuchel-endorsed-jimmy-lambert-good-bet-help-white-sox-2021

Abreu and others like Vaughn https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/jose-abreu-no-doubt-white-sox-top-prospect-andrew-vaughn-ready-bigs

Jerry Narron talks about artitstic lineup , cards, Larussa, catchers and more https://art19.com/shows/white-sox-podcast

Garrett Crochet on his rookie season and this season https://art19.com/shows/white-sox-podcast/episodes/827ed18e-918a-43e4-ba7c-b67bf8654a95

Chuck with Scott Merkin after the 1st spring training game talking Abreu, La Russa, Burger and fans. https://art19.com/shows/white-sox-podcast/episodes/eac4476e-cf0a-4f96-b482-604a4504ea3c

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For what its worth, Colome got blasted pretty hard yesterday; 1inn, 5 hits (3 2b), 4 er, 1 hr, 1k. ...and possibly a LO DP but can't say if that happened in his inning. (2B to SS DP)

Edited by Rounding_Third

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

For what its worth, Colome got blasted pretty hard yesterday; 1inn, 5 hits (3 2b), 4 er, 1 hr, 1k. ...and possibly a LO DP but can't say if that happened in his inning. (2B to SS DP)

Pretty close to nothing to be honest.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yoelqui looks good in camp according to Getz. But this was an interesting  quote fwiw:

 

 

So what lies ahead for Cespedes in the immediate future? It will be proving himself at a yet-to-be-determined minor league level to open the season.

“The hope is to get him to a full-season club, hopefully get him off to a nice start and see where it ends up in 2021,” Getz said.

 

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/yoelqui-cespedes-on-a-mission-in-white-sox-camp

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Optimistic article about Kopech's work ethic and progress this spring. I still think he is a question mark, but if he contributes we all know that will make the Sox a more viable contender. It will be interesting to see how he is doing after logging some innings in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Optimistic article about Kopech's work ethic and progress this spring. I still think he is a question mark, but if he contributes we all know that will make the Sox a more viable contender. It will be interesting to see how he is doing after logging some innings in.

I'm one of the few who really likes the Sox plan with him, if I'm interpreting it correctly.  If he progresses thru the 1st half or so without issue, his RP appearances can get a little longer each time.  Then he's going to get all the starts he can handle in the 2nd half even if he's not plugged into the the 5 man rotation.  Within his limited innings & shutdown schedule, there should be enough makeup DH's and SP skips to fulfill those remaining innings.  If they decide he's ready or needed for the 5 man rotation, he needs to have enough allowable innings remaining to finish the season or it could be a rotation disruption at the worst time.  Call it what you will, perhaps a 5.5 man rotation, I think is great for him, best for the staff, and a very valuable contribution.  

Let me add, that with last year's limited innings, the dog day, dead arm period will be a bit of an unknown,  Having Kopech around as viable substitute could be really important.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I'm one of the few who really likes the Sox plan with him, if I'm interpreting it correctly.  If he progresses thru the 1st half or so without issue, his RP appearances can get a little longer each time.  Then he's going to get all the starts he can handle in the 2nd half even if he's not plugged into the the 5 man rotation.  Within his limited innings & shutdown schedule, there should be enough makeup DH's and SP skips to fulfill those remaining innings.  If they decide he's ready or needed for the 5 man rotation, he needs to have enough allowable innings remaining to finish the season or it could be a rotation disruption at the worst time.  Call it what you will, perhaps a 5.5 man rotation, I think is great for him, best for the staff, and a very valuable contribution.  

I think it's probably fine, too. We're stuck in a bad situation facing an innings limit because he sat out last year. This seems like a reasonable way to deal with that while maximizing the chance that he can help us down the stretch. Maybe stretching him out as a starter and shutting him down in August, ala Strasburg a few years back, would be best for his development (though I have my doubts,) but *nobody* would be happy with that if he has a solid year and we're in contention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think it's probably fine, too. We're stuck in a bad situation facing an innings limit because he sat out last year. This seems like a reasonable way to deal with that while maximizing the chance that he can help us down the stretch. Maybe stretching him out as a starter and shutting him down in August, ala Strasburg a few years back, would be best for his development (though I have my doubts,) but *nobody* would be happy with that if he has a solid year and we're in contention.

I added a little more to my post after you quoted. I just don't like shutting him down in August and having to fill #5 down the stretch, especially with what might be going on with the staff at that time with uncharted dead arm waters.  Pitching coaches are going to have their hands full managing their staffs this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if a new MLB record is set with fewest 200 inning starters.   Even 180 is probably going to be a challenge.  Stone touched on this during the 1st game about larger rotations this year because of last year's reduced innings.

If the FO was smart, they'd go after another SP ASAP.  I have a feeling they're going to be in high demand at the trade deadline and much more expensive this year.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Happy Birthday, Nick Madrigal!  🍺

Pretty cool it’s his golden birthday 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SonofaRoache said:

How so? 

Fathom's got jokes!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is terrific and I would absolutely buy one.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

This is terrific and I would absolutely buy one.

Nick 100% rubs vets the wrong way.  Let's hope he takes this well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nick 100% rubs vets the wrong way.  Let's hope he takes this well.

I doubt vets give two shits about his comment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I doubt vets give two shits about his comment.

Right, which is why they made the shirt.  Having been in a similar position on low level college teams I can tell you 100% it rubbed the older guys the wrong way, which is why they are giving him gruff.  Better to pass the shirt around and try and make light of the situation with some humor than isolate him in the clubhouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nick 100% rubs vets the wrong way.  Let's hope he takes this well.

Feel like I should say to subscribe to The Athletic using all this Fegan content.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Feel like I should say to subscribe to The Athletic using all this Fegan content.

Glad Nick is rolling with it.  Nick isn't a wilting flower, you don't become a top prospect at his size without grinta.  And yea, Fegan is amazing.  He's the beat reporter we deserve after years of mediocre shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×