USA Today: White Sox Will Retain Robin Ventura, If He Wants to Return

shysocks

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
The only sports team that could possibly surpass the Browns as a laughingstock in sports is the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I don't recall them having public front office issues. They have had some bad luck with injuries to draft picks that hurt them. Outside of Blackmon I don't think there is much there. Jacksonville might be the smallest market in the NFL too.

I think this news means one of two things

1. The whole "soft landing" for Robin that's been discussed by many and probably the odds on favorite to happen. Sox say they want him back, he says he wants to do something else and leaves on his own accord. Will probably remain with the club in some type of role. However I don't understand the need to do this, it's not like the Sox would be not retaining a great manager and Robin is a big boy so I don't understand why they'd try not to hurt his feelings. Probably the most likely outcome but completely unnecessary.

2. The Sox have decided to go in to total rebuild mode and want one of their own to manage the rebuild, few reasons for this. First off the Sox job with a total rebuild isn't really an ideal job, many candidates don't want to take over a team that is going to struggle for a few years with no promise of when this team will be good again and IF that person will still be here. Also for as great as the Cubs rebuild went, they struck out with Dale Sveum who apparently didn't mesh with the Cubs young kids. The Sox FO knows Robin and know he'll do what they say without a fight and run the rebuild how they want it.

From the Sun-Times web site:

"While most speculation about Ventura’s status leaned toward the Sox going in a different direction, the front office believes the Sox’ record is more a reflection of roster deficiencies than Ventura’s managerial skills."

Sure every manager always brings in a relief pitcher before the opponents pinch hitter is officially announced!

But seriously, if the front office doesn't think Ventura is at fault then who exactly is? (Hint: They probably don't think it's them...all they do is the evaluations, the trades and sign the free agents right? LOL)

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
From the Sun-Times web site:

"While most speculation about Ventura’s status leaned toward the Sox going in a different direction, the front office believes the Sox’ record is more a reflection of roster deficiencies than Ventura’s managerial skills."

Sure every manager always brings in a relief pitcher before the opponents pinch hitter is officially announced!

But seriously, if the front office doesn't think Ventura is at fault then who exactly is? (Hint: They probably don't think it's them...all they do is the evaluations, the trades and sign the free agents right? LOL)

Mark

It's just bad luck. You heard Kenny - they were right there until those relievers got hurt and that's just the kind of thing you can't prepare for. Get them back next year and they're the team to beat.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
I think this news means one of two things

1. The whole "soft landing" for Robin that's been discussed by many and probably the odds on favorite to happen. Sox say they want him back, he says he wants to do something else and leaves on his own accord. Will probably remain with the club in some type of role. However I don't understand the need to do this, it's not like the Sox would be not retaining a great manager and Robin is a big boy so I don't understand why they'd try not to hurt his feelings. Probably the most likely outcome but completely unnecessary.

2. The Sox have decided to go in to total rebuild mode and want one of their own to manage the rebuild, few reasons for this. First off the Sox job with a total rebuild isn't really an ideal job, many candidates don't want to take over a team that is going to struggle for a few years with no promise of when this team will be good again and IF that person will still be here. Also for as great as the Cubs rebuild went, they struck out with Dale Sveum who apparently didn't mesh with the Cubs young kids. The Sox FO knows Robin and know he'll do what they say without a fight and run the rebuild how they want it.

I actually considered the second scenario to some extent as well. No reason to fire a manager when the influx of talent they are building at the lower levels is still a bit of time away. Keep RV on the cheap for another year or so until the true deadline for a decision on the manager arrives.

With that said, I'd be curious to hear the opinion of the MiLB junkies on this site as to how far the farm system has come in the past few years. I am encouraged by the more positive postings and feedback on the lower levels. Should we expect a true renaissance of the farm system. Has there been noticeable change and improvement over the past 3-5 years in Sox scouting, signings, and player development? If so, do RH and/or KW deserve credit for this anticipated improvement? If yes, is it possible the Sox are just trying to buy a little more time until the true plan comes to fruition?

I'll hang up and listen for your answers. Thanks.

It's just sad that Reinsdorf has created an organization with absolutely no accountability. Our team has been a joke Robin's entire tenure. If he's not part of the problem, then the front office most certaintly is. Something has to give at this point, even for a guy as loyal as Reinsdorf. Unfortunately for us, changes may not be made.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
It breaks my heart that Robin's playing career will be overshadowed by his tenure as manager.

Fire the White Sox

Thats what angers me so much. I now dislike Robin at least somewhat because of his managerial career here.

This team needs f***ing cleansing from the top down

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
It's just sad that Reinsdorf has created an organization with absolutely no accountability. Our team has been a joke Robin's entire tenure. If he's not part of the problem, then the front office most certaintly is. Something has to give at this point, even for a guy as loyal as Reinsdorf. Unfortunately for us, changes may not be made.

At this point it's more than just about RV and his ability (or lack of) as a manager: it's a referendum on the entire last decade plus of failure and right now the plan seems to be "more of the same".

At a certain point, and IMO the Sox are well past that point, you gain some things by making change simply for change's sake. You signal to your fans that your not happy. You signal that you're willing to take action, even if you're not sure about what course of action to take by not having a "slam dunk" candidate already picked. There's not ever going to be a "perfect" time to fire RV or a "perfect" candidate ready to replace him. Just make a move to make a move! It's well past that point.

Signal to us fans that the current direction is the wrong one and you're willing to consider moving in another one.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
If the White Sox are not blaming Ventura for the past five seasons but rather "roster deficiencies", then I wonder when we can expect heads to roll in the FO?

Right, that's what I was digging at above. It's beyond time to make a change, even if it's just for change's sake. The same is true of the FO.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
I actually considered the second scenario to some extent as well. No reason to fire a manager when the influx of talent they are building at the lower levels is still a bit of time away. Keep RV on the cheap for another year or so until the true deadline for a decision on the manager arrives.

With that said, I'd be curious to hear the opinion of the MiLB junkies on this site as to how far the farm system has come in the past few years. I am encouraged by the more positive postings and feedback on the lower levels. Should we expect a true renaissance of the farm system. Has there been noticeable change and improvement over the past 3-5 years in Sox scouting, signings, and player development? If so, do RH and/or KW deserve credit for this anticipated improvement? If yes, is it possible the Sox are just trying to buy a little more time until the true plan comes to fruition?

I'll hang up and listen for your answers. Thanks.

In my opinion, the farm system had a dreadful season outside of the incoming draftees. No one really came out of nowhere to become a significant prospect.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
He's the least of our problems in my mind as I'm never going to go crazy one way or another about a manager. Still, this organization is an absolute mess and you need to start to change some things. Fair or not that has to start with the guy in charge of the players. I'm also not surprised by this at all, not sure why anyone would be to be completely honest. Nothing is going to change with this organization.

How can you expect this organization to fix big problems if they can't even fix what you claim to be a small one?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Honest question, and not to get off topic, what do you think Joe Maddon would have done different.

I am not in total agreement, but some agreement that he could or would have squeezed a few more wins out of this team.

I'd think Saladino would have had a lot more playing time on this team all over the field. I'd think that we'd have way less Avi Garcia anywhere. And that there'd be more shifting of Lawrie and Frazier around the diamond. Like for example Abreu at DH, Frazier at 1B, Saladino at 3B some nights. Or even Melky at DH, Saladino in the OF, etc.

Other than that, I'm not sure than morale how much he would have improved the team. Maybe instead of our record now we are like the Royals at just above .500.

Just my completely unjusitifed stab at a guess.

Do you even watch the games? Ventura is easily one of the worst in game managers in the league. And his team choked away a 23-10 start after one bad loss. After a start like that there is no excuse to not be in the wild card hunt until the last day of the season at a minimum.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
In my opinion, the farm system had a dreadful season outside of the incoming draftees. No one really came out of nowhere to become a significant prospect.

Yep. The top four, full season teams had a collective 100 + games under .500. Not good. I didn't take the trouble of looking at other farm systems, but I doubt if any other system had a worse record, as far as won/lost records go.