2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

I think pick 4 comes down to either Madrigal or Singer, but I have some time to kill at work before I leave for the day, so thinking about underslot value at #4. While I like the possibility of Schnell at 46, I think the strategy is a lot less appealing if he is taken at 4.  When I think about potential targets for an underslot deal, I broke it down between college and HS. You dont want to drop too far in value (which is why I dont think Schnell at 4 makes sense), so if you're looking at college guys, I would say the realistic targets would be Jonathan India and Travis Swaggerty.  From all indications, India probably doesnt get past the Mets at 6 and Swaggerty probably doesnt make it past the Athletics at 9.  For quick reference, here are the pool allotments for each position in the draft:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/royals-tigers-have-largest-bonus-draft-allotments/

If the Sox decided India was the guy they wanted at 4, they could save upwards of 900K if they just matched the Mets slot allotment. If they went Swaggerty (I personally hope they dont), that's a savings of $1.6 million. Obviously neither of those figures are what would realistically happen, but when we think about how those savings could be applied later, it gives the Sox some real flexibility. For instance, if they decided to give India $6 million and pocket $500K to use later, they could offer their third rd pick pretty close to top 50 money. Pulling 3 top 50 players in the top 3 rds would be a pretty big coup for the Sox system.  Should the Sox want to go the HS route, this opportunity would be even more present with HSers filling boards quite a bit in the 7-20 range. Hostetler mentioned on, I believe, Red Line Radio a couple weks ago that he was on his way to Washington and Orange County....maybe Cole Winn is the dark horse nobody is talking about? He's been getting glowing reviews all spring.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunt said:

I think pick 4 comes down to either Madrigal or Singer, but I have some time to kill at work before I leave for the day, so thinking about underslot value at #4. While I like the possibility of Schnell at 46, I think the strategy is a lot less appealing if he is taken at 4.  When I think about potential targets for an underslot deal, I broke it down between college and HS. You dont want to drop too far in value (which is why I dont think Schnell at 4 makes sense), so if you're looking at college guys, I would say the realistic targets would be Jonathan India and Travis Swaggerty.  From all indications, India probably doesnt get past the Mets at 6 and Swaggerty probably doesnt make it past the Athletics at 9.  For quick reference, here are the pool allotments for each position in the draft:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/royals-tigers-have-largest-bonus-draft-allotments/

If the Sox decided India was the guy they wanted at 4, they could save upwards of 900K if they just matched the Mets slot allotment. If they went Swaggerty (I personally hope they dont), that's a savings of $1.6 million. Obviously neither of those figures are what would realistically happen, but when we think about how those savings could be applied later, it gives the Sox some real flexibility. For instance, if they decided to give India $6 million and pocket $500K to use later, they could offer their third rd pick pretty close to top 50 money. Pulling 3 top 50 players in the top 3 rds would be a pretty big coup for the Sox system.  Should the Sox want to go the HS route, this opportunity would be even more present with HSers filling boards quite a bit in the 7-20 range. Hostetler mentioned on, I believe, Red Line Radio a couple weks ago that he was on his way to Washington and Orange County....maybe Cole Winn is the dark horse nobody is talking about? He's been getting glowing reviews all spring.

Good stuff. So I'm not big on player profile orthodoxy but I really don't want a prep RHP after reading the BA article a few weeks back on the high bust rate within the top ten that has led the industry to re evaluate what it's getting wrong with them.

The "prize" for losing 95 games last year was the 4th pick. If they lost 84, all their other picks in the draft would have been available for them to draft. If they do go under slot, it better be for a guy they have in their top 5 or 7 who will sign for less, and they were virtually assured the savings would be well spent on a target they are absolutely sure will be available. . Otherwise, cheering for losses is even more ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is a drop off after the top three?

If you are talking tiers and FV, this is how Fangraphs has it.  Mize & Madrigal at the top with 55's, then a separation with a bunch of 50's. They have Singer with a 45 for what that's worth.

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=2018mlb&type=0&pos=all&team=all

image.png

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

No -- but those are the guys you're trying to get if you go underslot early, especially in this class.

I don't think the Sox would do this. It's too dumb. I think this is another example of a lack of Mayo's understanding of scouting that's causing bad info to float around.

This is more what I think.

55 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is a drop off after the top three?

It's 4, but it's not just you. There's a drop after Mize, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal. I just hope the Sox aren't dumb enough to draft Singer.

15 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It's 4, but it's not just you. There's a drop after Mize, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal. I just hope the Sox aren't dumb enough to draft Singer.

Maybe as to how they are projected, but I bet many players from this draft have better careers than the worst of the top 4. The Sox have to find these guys. 

Obviously, while still the biggest crapshoot draft in sports, projections have seemingly improve a great deal, I was reading an article on the Tigers 1976 draft. They picked second and selected a bust, but still drafted several contributors to their WS championship team, including  two HOfers in Morris and Trammell. They also drafted another HOFer that year in Ozzie Smith, but couldn’t sign him.  It would be nice if the Sox got a player or 2 in the middle rounds that turned out a steal. It seems to have been a while.

Edited by Dick Allen

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe as to how they are projected, but I bet many players from this draft have better careers than the worst of the top 4. The Sox have to find these guys. 

Obviously, while still the biggest crapshoot draft in sports, projections have seemingly improve a great deal, I was reading an article on the Tigers 1976 draft. They picked second and selected a bust, but still drafted several contributors to their WS championship team, including  two HOfers in Morris and Trammell. They also drafted another HOFer that year in Ozzie Smith, but couldn’t sign him.  It would be nice if the Sox got a player or 2 in the middle rounds that turned out a steal. It seems to have been a while.

Yurchak, Blackman, Battenfield, and Rivera from last year's draft look like they could work out in that regard. Also Gonzalez, Henzman, and McClure depending on what you consider the "middle rounds".

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Yurchak, Blackman, Battenfield, and Rivera from last year's draft look like they could work out in that regard. Also Gonzalez, Henzman, and McClure depending on what you consider the "middle rounds".

Zavala in the 12th is probably our best recent example IMO.

Reed in the 3rd?  Nate Jones in the 5th?  Hector Santiago went really late in the draft he came out of...although taking relievers in the 3rd-5th round is (still) higher than many/most organizations go.

I would have to look him up again, but Marcus Semien would be a pretty good example.   

Trayce Thompson went relatively high, but he’s been disappointing (obviously).   Micah Johnson?   Saladino?

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow blown away by your hall of fame examples

If you went by the HoF examples, you’d only have Chris Sale and Mark Buehrle (a few votes, let’s say 10%).

So we suck at drafting (especially position players)...well, there’s some earth-shattering news.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-3-0/

Fangraphs has the Sox taking Singer here & Jeremiah Jackson at #46

4. Chicago White Sox – Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
We think there’s a split in the room between Singer and Nick Madrigal, but we think the more decorated people in the room lean this way.

Notice how the Sox section is a whole one sentence? Sure sounds like they are playing it close to the vest.  Also, how come no one has spun the narrative on the room divided? This could be a classic Rick vs Kenny take!

Edited by DirtySox

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Notice how the Sox section is a whole one sentence? Sure sounds like they are playing it close to the vest.  Also, how come no one has spun the narrative on the room divided? This could be a classic Rick vs Kenny take!

I'm thinking the more decorated people want Singer to fill pitching gaps quicker caused by Giolito and Fulmer busting