White Sox Claim Willy Garcia

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
I can't believe they DFA Coats whiled keeping 4-6 other guys, none of whom can hit .330 ++ in AAA.

Avi Garcia career AAA line .367/.412/.532

Coats is just a guy. All these other guys are just a guy too most likely, but at least they have some sort of break out skill.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
Ryan Sheets @RyanSheets_

Willy Garcia led the International League with 17 OF assists in 2016, giving him 53 since the start of 2014. Most in @MiLB in that span.

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

The sox are going to turn him into a pitcher!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)
So do I

But the Sox apparently don't.

They keep an awful lot of throw-hard no-control middle relievers around in his stead.

Because throw-hard no-control relievers can turn into throw-hard good-enough-control relievers who become valuable assets to teams in the late innings and on the trade market. Nate Jones was a throw-hard no-control reliever. Now he's the most valuable piece in the White Sox bullpen and probably their best reliever. What is Jason Coats realistically going to turn into? Probably a 4th outfielder at his ceiling. That's a nice player to have in the system as a depth player.

If Coats passes through waivers, he's gonna get a chance to make a name for himself, I guarantee that.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Coats always screamed AAAA player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get through waivers. Solid move to trade him for a toolsy younger OF'er.

They both played in AAA last season. Compare the numbers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)
Because throw-hard no-control relievers can turn into throw-hard good-enough-control relievers who become valuable assets to teams in the late innings and on the trade market. Nate Jones was a throw-hard no-control reliever. Now he's the most valuable piece in the White Sox bullpen and probably their best reliever. What is Jason Coats realistically going to turn into? Probably a 4th outfielder at his ceiling. That's a nice player to have in the system as a depth player.

If Coats passes through waivers, he's gonna get a chance to make a name for himself, I guarantee that.

If he doesn't, he won't?? Or, you won't?

Edited by oldsox

Coats: 330/394/579/912. 10 HR 69/25 K/W.

Garcia: 245/293/366/659. 6 HR 131/31 K/W

They played in the same league.

Sox always need hitters, so which one do we take?

Coats has hit at every level. When he gets promoted, he falls back a little, then gets going at new level. Give him the opportunity. No, we will give the opportunity to some clown who has never really hit, but who has a lot of outfield assists.

Makes sense to me.

Gotta sign Willy and his assist machine. Gotta cut somebody. Let's cut a guy who can hit.

Not Leury Garcia, who can neither hit (in majors) or throw out anybody from the outfield.

Not one of three catchers who will have no offensive impact on the team, and who would have cleared waivers.

Not Avi or Lawrie.

Not one of several pitchers who you can just tell have no place in the long term scheme of things.

This decision was probably made by the same guy who traded away Tatis on a re-building team for Shields and his big game contract.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 06:38 AM)
If he doesn't, he won't?? Or, you won't?

If he passes through waivers, he will get a chance to make a name for himself with the White Sox. They are going to be very bad for at least 2 years and that could easily be 3 years. If Coats keeps raking in AAA, they'll make room and give him another shot in the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
If he passes through waivers, he will get a chance to make a name for himself with the White Sox. They are going to be very bad for at least 2 years and that could easily be 3 years. If Coats keeps raking in AAA, they'll make room and give him another shot in the majors.

I don't expect Coats to be anything special.

That said, I do find it annoying that his "shot" in the Majors was 58 plate appearances, and many on this board think that's enough to make a decision on him. Didn't Bregman begin his MLB career 0-34? And, my favorite example:

Mike Trout's first 60 career PAs: .185/.250/.352

Jason Coats' first 58 career PAs: .200/.298/.340

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

That said, I do find it annoying that his "shot" in the Majors was 58 plate appearances, and many on this board think that's enough to make a decision on him. Didn't Bregman begin his MLB career 0-34? And, my favorite example:

Ok, just stop there. Do not put Coats and Trout in the same comparison. I mean the only reason they should be in the same sentence is if Coats is bringing Trout his bat or somethin.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

I don't think anyone has made any decision on Jason Coats. The White Sox are likely making a strategic gamble that Coats will pass through waivers based on his talent. It's probably a safe bet. Like I said, if he keeps raking, he'll be back up eventually.