Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
When is our private workout with him?

The end of last week the workout was supposed to be "next week" (meaning this week) No word on where or exactly when that I have seen as of yet. Again, keep an eye on Kenny Williams here.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
When is our private workout with him?

All I have seen reported is that the Astros and Sox both have private workouts scheduled this week. I don't expect that we will hear much about these private workouts until he is signed.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
I roll my eyes at Keith Law a lot, but he's not that high on Robert.

Surprise, surprise. Lately, it seems like anyone with even the furthest ties to the White Sox isn't too great in his eyes.

And any mediocre former Sox prospect, like Tatis Jr, is the next Trout.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Surprise, surprise. Lately, it seems like anyone with even the furthest ties to the White Sox isn't too great in his eyes.

That does seem to be the trend lately.

He ranked Michael Kopech as the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Keith Law has no White Sox bias. This is absurd. Michael Kopech is his 7th ranked prospect in all of baseball and #1 pitching prospect in the game. Law wasn't high on Moncada or Cespedes either.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Yeah, I don't doubt Law's opinions are genuine, but I do think he tries to be provocative, which is fine. I'm kinda happy somebody is saying "slow your roll" on Robert.

I don't think it is fine. He's supposed to be ranking prospects. If he is trying to be provocative then his rankings aren't valid. He is trying to create news not objectively rank players.

There is a place to be provocative but a rankings list is not the place.

Law isn't only one low on Robert. Longenhagen didn't have a glowing report from last year either. He must also have a white sox bias, knowing when he scouted him last year that the sox might be remotely related.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Keith Law has no White Sox bias. This is absurd. Michael Kopech is his 7th ranked prospect in all of baseball and #1 pitching prospect in the game. Law wasn't high on Moncada or Cespedes either.

On pure potential, I would agree that Kopech's ceiling is as high as any pitching prospect in the game

If healthy, and with further development and polish he could reasonably be a starting pitcher that brings mid to upper 90's heat, with a plus slider and developing changeup

His floor is still a high leverage reliever, who can come out of the pen and blow you away with 100+ mph heat and slider combo

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Yeah, I don't doubt Law's opinions are genuine, but I do think he tries to be provocative, which is fine. I'm kinda happy somebody is saying "slow your roll" on Robert.

Yes, this pretty much Klaws schtick. His opinions tend to run counter to industry norms, but thats what makes his perspective intriguing and provides value to ESPN. He is right (and wrong) at about the same clip as every other prospect service.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
On pure potential, I would agree that Kopech's ceiling is as high as any pitching prospect in the game

If healthy, and with further development and polish he could reasonably be a starting pitcher that brings mid to upper 90's heat, with a plus slider and developing changeup

His floor is still a high leverage reliever, who can come out of the pen and blow you away with 100+ mph heat and slider combo

Yeah, I think a lot of people see him as a Noah Syndergaard clone, and if falls short of that he can be a top tier closer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)

One prospect doesn't mean that he has no odd anti-Sox trend about him lately.

Jose, are you saying that IF the Sox had never traded Tatis, Jr, and IF he were still with the Sox, that Law would not have him ranked as high as he is now ranked?

I think its more that the Sox screwed up and traded a good prospect before he had a chance to show anything. Kudos to the Padres, I guess.

Other publications are high on Tatis, its not like Law is alone.

Why does there need to be a conspiracy or grudge? What happened to Occam's Razor?

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
I think its more that the Sox screwed up and traded a good prospect before he had a chance to show anything. Kudos to the Padres, I guess.

Other publications are high on Tatis, its not like Law is alone.

Why does there need to be a conspiracy or grudge? What happened to Occam's Razor?

You mean that he is just another guy out for money and notoriety? Always follow the money.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
You mean that he is just another guy out for money and notoriety? Always follow the money.

I was going to say that his 'bias' towards the Sox is because they historically suck at drafting and developing, but even your theory makes more sense than "He hates the WS".

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)

I can't imagine there is a lot of money in trolling white sox fans.

I don't know if he's as biased anymore. When KW was in charge, there was no question. I do think he has some sort of grudge and there is at least a chance a guy like Tatis was thrown into his top prospects as a dig.

As to Robert, he isn't a White Sox yet, so I don't see a connection. If he signs somewhere else and Law's position shifts, then you have a case.