President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Well, a lot more people agree with him than not and people have an intense attachment to status quo.

Those same people won't have patience for the nuanced discussion of how these statues went up half a century after the civil war in response to civil rights advances. How they often explicitly were put up to establish white dominance of the community. Or about how neighbors in their community feel when they have to walk by a statue of Judge Taney before walking into a courthouse, author of the most awful majority opinion in United States history.

They know the statues have been there and, after all, it's just history.

But that history is f***ed. The civil war history I learned in the suburbs of illinois was so sanitized in the same ways these statues were intended to sanitize history.

It's the same crap. The handwringing over the march to the sea. Same playbook we see know. "Well of COURSE slavery is bad, we all agree on that, but the north wasn't so perfect either!". And it works like a charm.

I know you've mentioned McPherson's Battlecry of Freedom before, so I thought you might like to read this essay that the NY Review of Books ungated today by McPherson regarding Lost Cause revisionist history.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2001/04/12/southern-comfort/

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
My favorite Facebook meme so far is: "Martin Luther King was anti-gay marriage, why aren't we taking down his statues??"

If people/cities/states want to vote to take down MLK statues go for it.

Last I checked the city council of Charlottesville voted to take down the statute. No one forced them to. The issue is actually in court as other people have sued to keep the statute.

The meme shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what is going on.

Edited by Soxbadger

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-keep-beaut...-134428178.html

President Trump on Thursday bemoaned the removal of “beautiful” Confederate monuments across the U.S. after last weekend’s violent clashes in Charlottesville, Va., where white supremacists rallied against the removal of Robert E. Lee statue.

“Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments,” Trump wrote on Twitter Thursday morning. “You can’t change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson – who’s next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish!”

Trump continued: “Also the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!”

Richmond mayor now considering removing six main Confederate statues on Monument Avenue

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/16...ue-removed.html

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
If people/cities/states want to vote to take down MLK statues go for it.

Last I checked the city council of Charlottesville voted to take down the statute. No one forced them to. The issue is actually in court as other people have sued to keep the statute.

The meme shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what is going on.

It's so silly isn't it?

If they want to put forth the argument in good faith, make it.

But fighting gay marriage was not the cause of MLKs life, fighting racial and economic justice was. And he is remembered for it.

Robert Lee mentioned a few times opposition to slavery, though overall he was not anti slavery. But the CAUSE he fought for was to preserve slavery. People make choices.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
It's shocking how many people still can't accept that they lost the Civil War.

Nothing about it is American, what they're honoring is American traitors. We should get a Benedict Arnold statute to put with them, too.

Didn't you know? (white) American values are under attack! People must fight back before they are extinct.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)

Nothing about it is American, what they're honoring is American traitors. We should get a Benedict Arnold statute to put with them, too.

I thought this was a really interesting perspective about the lack of monuments celebrating the end of slavery in the South as compared to other countries in the Americas. Something I had never considered.

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/8/16/...sville-virginia

Apparently Trump got all the talking points of his crazy press conference from Fox News. He said he watched the video more carefully than anyone else, apparently he meant the Fox News programs. From The Week:

That line Trump used about waiting to get all "the facts" before he made a statement condemning the violence of white nationalists at the rally in Charlottesville, Virginia? Fox said it first. Trump's claim that there was violence on "both sides"? Fox said that too. His mentions of the alt-left? Fox News' Sean Hannity loves to talk about that. His insistence that there were some "very fine people" marching alongside white supremacists and neo-Nazis? Yep, that's a Fox favorite. Even Trump's hypothetical question about whether monuments to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson should also be taken down because, as he pointed out, they were slave owners, was first asked on Fox.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Why is the removal of statues considered changing history? Trump realizes those people still exist in history if their monument is removed, right? In things called...books?

Trump obviously is a statue guy the way he kept calling 'em beautiful. I personally never was intrigued by them. Never have stopped to read the little explanations underneath statues. Some people love statues. He's obviously one of 'em.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Surprised he would support statues of legit losers.

See above take. He obviously loves statues.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)

Good post. It's probably good timing to yank down the statues if we're going to do it, in immediate response to the white supremist losers who held that violent rally in Virginia. It'd be nice if more of them got fired from their jobs. The KKK morons wear those hoods cause they want to keep their jobs; amazing how the white supremists figured they are emboldened by Trump, so they did that rally without masks/hoods and several of 'em are getting burned by getting fired. Let's fire some more of 'em.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Didn't you know? (white) American values are under attack! People must fight back before they are extinct.

White supremists are sickos, no doubt about it. At this time I don't like to copy Trump and say both sides were bad. But my positions on the BLM people who impose their will on people in libraries, etc., aren't angels either. I was in the car the other day and listening to the Beatles channel on Sirius and enjoyed listening to Lennon's songs about peace.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Yesterday: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

Today: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

Tomorrow: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

I don't think Trump has expressed himself very well the last few days. I think Kasisch is right. He's trying to win an argument basically. He's sort of turned into the mean version of Greg on this board. "By gawd some of those people (white surpremists) are good people; by gawd I like statues. They are just statues. You can learn from history." In other words like me he has his stern opinions but doesn't always express himself correctly the first time so keeps trying to win the argument and bury himself more.

He should just resign though. Stern is right. he hates being president. He made his point. Now give it to Kasisch (damn that's illegal; Pence has to take over).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
I don't think Trump has expressed himself very well the last few days. I think Kasisch is right. He's trying to win an argument basically. He's sort of turned into the mean version of Greg on this board. "By gawd some of those people (white surpremists) are good people; by gawd I like statues. They are just statues. You can learn from history." In other words like me he has his stern opinions but doesn't always express himself correctly the first time so keeps trying to win the argument and bury himself more.

He should just resign though. Stern is right. he hates being president. He made his point. Now give it to Kasisch (damn that's illegal; Pence has to take over).

The guy is racist. If it were a bunch of Muslims marching or illegals from Mexico, and the same thing happened, what are the chances he says there are some fine Muslims, or some fine illegals?

He needs to go for sure because he is incompetent. Donald Trump knows how to bully his way into deals developing real estate. That doesn't work in government. And he's a one trick pony. It's his only move. Be a bully. His true colors are showing under the orange make up on his face and the yellow dye in his hair.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Trump obviously is a statue guy the way he kept calling 'em beautiful. I personally never was intrigued by them. Never have stopped to read the little explanations underneath statues. Some people love statues. He's obviously one of 'em.

See above take. He obviously loves statues.

Good post. It's probably good timing to yank down the statues if we're going to do it, in immediate response to the white supremist losers who held that violent rally in Virginia. It'd be nice if more of them got fired from their jobs. The KKK morons wear those hoods cause they want to keep their jobs; amazing how the white supremists figured they are emboldened by Trump, so they did that rally without masks/hoods and several of 'em are getting burned by getting fired. Let's fire some more of 'em.

White supremists are sickos, no doubt about it. At this time I don't like to copy Trump and say both sides were bad. But my positions on the BLM people who impose their will on people in libraries, etc., aren't angels either. I was in the car the other day and listening to the Beatles channel on Sirius and enjoyed listening to Lennon's songs about peace.

Yea greg, he loves statues just like he isn't racist

JΞSŦΞR ✪ ΔCŦUΔL³³º¹ @th3j35t3r

^^ 1980: Trump demolishes 2 historic sculptures to keep the construction of Trump Tower on schedule. Metropolitan Museum of Art was stunned.

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yea greg, he loves statues just like he isn't racist

Trump loves statues and monuments so much that he puts up monuments on his golf courses to Civil War battles that did not actually happen (as a reminder, this is a true story):

http://theweek.com/speedreads/719014/remin...ent-golf-course

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Yesterday: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

Today: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

Tomorrow: Today is the bottom of this Presidency

Your avatar in perpetuity (Though you'll eventually change it, and this post will look silly)

Trump took two days to weakly condemn domestic terrorists, but he's quickly condemned the attacker in Spain

tVjHfbO.jpg

for reference, he is talking about supposedly dipping bullets in pig blood and executing people with them, which

a) is a terrifying thing for the president to be endorsing

and

b) probably didn't even happen

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Trump took two days to weakly condemn domestic terrorists, but he's quickly condemned the attacker in Spain

tVjHfbO.jpg

for reference, he is talking about supposedly dipping bullets in pig blood and executing people with them, which

a) is a terrifying thing for the president to be endorsing

and

b) probably didn't even happen

Snopes said that there's no proof.