Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the slide continues..... these asshats have a REAL chance at ending up with the 5th pick, although I'm still optimistic we can get back to #3.

Sox win, Phillies lose, Giants win, Tigers somehow don't lose but only because they didn't play

Reds are 1.5 GB of us with the 5th pick

Sox pick 4th

2 GB of Detroit for the 3rd pick

2.5 GB of the Giants for the 2nd pick

3 GB of the Phillies for the 1st pick

6 games left for the Sox.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 03:38 AM)
Just realized that over the past 10 games we've matched the Giants and Phillies - all teams played .500 ball.

Oh what could have been.

You can go a lot farther back than that. I believe since August 8th the Sox are only 1 game under .500. There's a lot of bad teams in the AL and the Sox schedule had them packed in to the last 5-6 weeks for the most part.

Edited by Soha

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 06:35 AM)
Just goes to show: try to tank, end up with a bunch of players who play hard til the end of the year. Don't try to tank (2013 white sox, 2016 twins, 2017 giants) end up with worse record because all of the vets mail it in.

2015 (ALL IN) Sox finished the season losing 8 of 12, I'd be so happy with that right now ha.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
On a positive note for the "un-tanking" process is that we are winning with the youngins.... And maybe James Shields can be a passable 5th starter?

He does seem to have settled in on an arm angle over his last few starts. September has been an OK month for him. If we actually got this Shields going forward he could be a tradeable asset with the Sox assuming some salary.

32 IP, 11 BB, 30K 3.94 ERA, 27H, 1.1875 WHIP

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)
He does seem to have settled in on an arm angle over his last few starts. September has been an OK month for him. If we actually got this Shields going forward he could be a tradeable asset with the Sox assuming some salary.

32 IP, 11 BB, 30K 3.94 ERA, 27H, 1.1875 WHIP

Saw a quote from Trout that said it's a different James Shields. One with more movement on his pitches.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Saw a quote from Trout that said it's a different James Shields. One with more movement on his pitches.

If you throw out his 3 start April, this is by far his best month of the season. He really looks like Jake Peavy all of the sudden. Hopefully he doesn't end up with the arm surgery too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Cubs should have the division clinched by then. They'll probably rest a few guys so we'll see how the Reds do after that.

Yes. Also some starting pitchers may just get 5 innings in, and get out.

It would be nice to get the 4th pick wrapped up before Sunday.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
4th pick would be a disappointment after that tear down. After the top3 there usually is quite a drop off in quality plus you lose a million of pool money.

Don't get me wrong 4th pick isn't bad but it probably means you are looking for a 4th starter or average regular hitter rather than a star. That probably means turang and singer are off the board and those are probably the two guys that stand out.

I actually looked back at the last 20 years of picks and was surprised at how much of a dropoff there was after 2, but with this upcoming draft I don't think it will be that big of a deal. There does seem to be a lack of consensus about the top guys, guys like Keith Law aren't too high on Singer (and I know stats aren't everything but his college stats this year are pretty underwhelming) and Longenhagen has said there are a lot of questions about Turang's bat and that he wouldn't take him at the top of the draft. There was a ranking posted in the minor league forum that doesn't have either of those guys in the top 5 draft prospects (Turang at #8 and Singer not in the top 10). Of course someone could break away from the pack next spring but right now this draft seems pretty deep and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference among the top group of guys.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
We will draft Beer and sign him underslot at pick 4 or 5. Then pick the biggest faller out of HS with our second pick and sign them overslot to get them. That would make some sense..

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
That is what I see happening as well.

The last time a true 1B prospect was taken in the top 10 was Eric Hosmer in 2008. Brendan McKay was taken this year, but the Rays are using him as both a hitter and a pitcher.

I don't see Beer being taken in the top 5 unless he has a monstrous year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
The last time a true 1B prospect was taken in the top 10 was Eric Hosmer in 2008. Brendan McKay was taken this year, but the Rays are using him as both a hitter and a pitcher.

I don't see Beer being taken in the top 5 unless he has a monstrous year.

He has already had two monstrous years. I see him going in the 5-8 range.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
2020 Sox are going to have a log jam at 1B/DH if we keep drafting guys who can't play any defense

Look at the moneyball A's. That was the entire team and part of the downfall in the playoffs.