Todd and Melky

zisk

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the best offers ( if there are any ) and if that don't work there's always the hope of them getting picked up off of waivers in August. There's no reason for keeping either around beyond this season and knowing the Sox are rebuilding ( tinfoil hat ) I don't see why they would want to return.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Frazier approaching an .800 OPS. People should stop assuming he'll be valueless at the deadline.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/po...ARBR/order/true

Hard to name a single 3b ahead of him that's available.

Theoretically, Longoria, but highly doubtful. Suarez, if the Reds were bowled over.

12th out of 28 bwar for those over 200 at bats at third base.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Melky has been a guy that I have been thinking about since last season in-terms of a trade. Upped his average to .291 as of late. I think a team like Milwaukee or St. Louis would really benefit from adding Melky.

I'm hoping for a top 10 prospect in the system of whoever they trade with for the Melkman. Of course I like him because the Sox have had so few LH productive bats and his strong and accurate arm.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
First off, Melky is not a valuable player. I'm a huge fan of the guy's personality, but he doesn't the play the field at an acceptable level anymore. And it's only going to get worse as he ages.

Second, we have multiple in-house replacements for both guys ready to go. Once Moncada is called up, we can choose from Davidson, Sanchez, & Delmoncio at 3B. For LF we can choose from Engel (or Leury), Willy, & Demonico. Why on earth would you want to block these guys with aging veterans?

Also Tilson if all the kings horses and all the kings men can put him back together again.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:47 AM)
I'm hoping for a top 10 prospect in the system of whoever they trade with for the Melkman. Of course I like him because the Sox have had so few LH productive bats and his strong and accurate arm.

Very likely it won't be anyone near top 10

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:36 AM)
Very likely it won't be anyone near top 10

Exactly. If you were fan of a buyer, would you accept your team acquiring Melky Cabrera? There's absolutely no reason to acquire him. He'll kill a contender defensively and he's an average hitter. He's not exactly fast either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
Exactly. If you were fan of a buyer, would you accept your team acquiring Melky Cabrera? There's absolutely no reason to acquire him. He'll kill a contender defensively and he's an average hitter. He's not exactly fast either.

Yes, I would accept my team buying Melky. If you're a fan of a team with a black hole in lf defensively and with the bat, why wouldn't you want him? Especially when the price will be low.

Edited by soxfan2014

I can see Melky being moved to a fringe playoff team - looking at the LF and DH leaderboards, the Royals and Angels stand out as teams that have gotten sub-replacement performance from the DH slot, and Melky would be a big improvement over Pujols or Moss. The sticking point will be money, though, and it's tough to see that being worked out before August. But yeah, someone will eventually trade for Melky.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
A sentence I never thought I would read.

Yeah, I noted that it felt weird to write it. Also, Melky being an improvement over Alex Gordon. These truly are the end times.

My idea for Frazier was for the Angels to acquire him to play third, thus moving Escobar back to second. Red Sox and also the Yankees, to some extent, are possible

Melky, well, see above. Angels, Royals make the most sense as far as need, but its tough to see a fit, money-wise.

There are posters who think Hahn is going to gut this team by the end of July. I really doubt that. I think he will make a big splash with either Q and/or Roberston as well as 1 reliever and Melky and/or Frazier. If he unloaded numerous players from the roster, he would have to turn to Charlotte which is a very mediocre AAA team. That in turn would require backfilling from AA etc. In essence, by wholesale dumping as the ML level, you promote young players at all levels who are not ready. I think Hahn will make a few deals this month to add young prospects from teams that are desperate. But he will wait until the offseason to unload the rest of the deadwood.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)

Enough with the Melky hate. We get it, you hate him. I think we can all agree he's not great defensively, but he'd hardly kill a contender. And he's been pretty good at the plate this year. If my team was in contention and needed to fill a hole in the outfield, I'd have no problem with acquiring Melky. No one is going to give up anything huge for him, but you are way undervaluing him with your unwarranted hate.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
There are posters who think Hahn is going to gut this team by the end of July. I really doubt that. I think he will make a big splash with either Q and/or Roberston as well as 1 reliever and Melky and/or Frazier. If he unloaded numerous players from the roster, he would have to turn to Charlotte which is a very mediocre AAA team. That in turn would require backfilling from AA etc. In essence, by wholesale dumping as the ML level, you promote young players at all levels who are not ready. I think Hahn will make a few deals this month to add young prospects from teams that are desperate. But he will wait until the offseason to unload the rest of the deadwood.

No offense, but this is just way off. Hahn will trade his major league assets this trade deadline if and only if value is there. He will not hold a guy until the offseason simply because of who their replacement will be. And the Sox have numerous options to replace these guys anyways, between their legit prospects and some fringe guys. There will be no shortage of options to back-fill holes and they will not require us rushing guys.

Also, Melky, Frazier, & Swarzak will all be gone by July or August as they will be free agents after the season. Robertson is also likely to be moved because he could be the only problem closer on the market. That's four guys at minimum that will be moved this season. And odds are Quintana is moved as well, again assuming value is there. There are going to plenty of changes between now and August 31st.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Charlotte really is a crap team. I really think they are gonna trade Melky,Todd and Robertson anyway.

All 3 guys are going good right now and with the inclusion of a minor league pitcher[Guerrero,Stephens] the

Sox could make a deal for a high end prospect[Devers]. No time like the present.

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 06:34 AM)
My idea for Frazier was for the Angels to acquire him to play third, thus moving Escobar back to second. Red Sox and also the Yankees, to some extent, are possible

Melky, well, see above. Angels, Royals make the most sense as far as need, but its tough to see a fit, money-wise.

Pujols and Alex Gordon aren't going anywhere...Gordon is starting to hit well the last ten days.

They could use a replacement for Soler if he continues to suck, though. Moss has been bad...Bonifacio cooling down.

Beyond that, the KC payroll is stretched too thinly...they need pitching more than anything, another starter and replacement for Strahm, who's now out for the season.

There really isn't much deadwood to sell in the offseason and I don't see them having to dip too much into Charlotte.

Trade Robertson and Swarzak (who again is a FA) - down 2 in the pen...this will be a big downgrade and require some Charlotte filler - but they have no choice. Swarzak can't be moved in the offseason, and the Sox will lose a lot of Value on Robertson by holding him. Robertson has got to be moved.

If they trade Q, then, they just move Holmberg back into the rotation and the Sox are where they have been for most of the season, but with Rodon replacing Q for the 1 competent pitching spot in the rotation.

Frazier and Melky are free agents. And if they move them, then Davidson plays third every day instead of DH; and W Garcia or someone plays left. And that will create room for L Garcia when he comes back.

The starting staff, minus Rodon, is deadwood, but they're all FAs. Unfortunately none are tradeable (maybe Holland, but not for much).

On another note, the Cardinals might have been a good spot for Frazier...but they are fading again.

Edited by GreenSox

Anyone who is a free agent after this season is 100% gone. That includes;

Todd Frazier

Melky Cabrera

Derrick Holland

Miguel Gonzalez (well the not healthy part might hold up a deal here)

Mike Pelfrey (though no one may want him, even at a zero price... honestly he is probably a DFA candidate for August 1)

Anthony Swarzak

Then there are the players that have been talked about for almost a year now, who I would tend to bet on being gone;

Jose Quintana

David Robertson

After that comes wild card players who have had great seasons, but the Sox may price out of the market;

Avi Garcia

Tommy Kahnle

Players heading into arb years the Sox could listen on;

Luery Garcia

David Holmberg

Dan Jennings (Probably has no value left)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Anyone who is a free agent after this season is 100% gone. That includes;

Todd Frazier

Melky Cabrera

Derrick Holland

Miguel Gonzalez (well the not healthy part might hold up a deal here)

Mike Pelfrey (though no one may want him, even at a zero price... honestly he is probably a DFA candidate for August 1)

Anthony Swarzak

Then there are the players that have been talked about for almost a year now, who I would tend to bet on being gone;

Jose Quintana

David Robertson

After that comes wild card players who have had great seasons, but the Sox may price out of the market;

Avi Garcia

Tommy Kahnle

Players heading into arb years the Sox could listen on;

Luery Garcia

David Holmberg

Dan Jennings (Probably has no value left)

Charlotte Knights @KnightsBaseball

now

JUST ANNOUNCED: @whitesox RHP Miguel Gonzalez will start for the #CLTKnights tonight in #Durham on a rehab assignment. #WhiteSox

Some good news here