Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
There is nothing in Boston's farm that is worth Abreu at this point. If I was Hahn, they'd have to get my attention by offering either Benintendi or Devers straight up, or I'd tell Dombrowski to go pay JD Martinez and pound sand.

That's basically what he did, and that's why we're not talking to Boston about Abreu anymore. The thread title isn't updated

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
I agree with all 3 of your assumptions with those players.. My problem is that all 3 of those with those projections are more valuable than 2 seasons of abreu. That's 3 major leaguers. I'd expect something like Flaherty and Bader and that's about the top end but not all three.. Hopefully I'm wrong obviously lol

That's 3 potential major leaguers, none of whom have shown to have any of the promise that 2 years of Abreu gives a team now. Since the Sox are under no pressure to trade Abreu, any trading partner should make it worthwhile for the Sox to do so. Three maybes who have failed to play up to expectations so far is not worthwhile in my book.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Abreu is not going to sign a 2 year deal when he hits free agency if he's still producing. So if you think you might want him around in 2020 & 2021, either extend him now through his age 34 season or be prepared to lock him up until he's 36 and when money becomes more constrained.

If he is still hitting like this in two years, he will get 3 to 5 years on the open market for sure.

The White Sox need to either extend Abreu or trade him. Holding him on his current deal while the team will be bad doesn't really make much sense. If he wants to stay forever and take a discount, then I think Hahn will be amenable. If he wants market value though, I think we see him moved. 4 year $70 million extension is the most that I'd think we see.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
I don't think I've said that since the weekend. Sorry my post didn't have the word poop in it.

Didn't mean to be judgemental or come off as an ass - I'm just like you and everyone else here... bored by the lack of activity. It happens every year - you know this.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
I do not see a failure in planning if he plays two years and leaves for nothing as there is veteran Hispanic/Cuban leadership there that can be an asset.

I actually agree with this. I'm usually not big on the whole leadership thing but him and Moncada seem to have a legit bond and having him here while Yoan grows up a bit isn't the worst thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, if we can get a huge deal for him or if he we can extend him at a good rate then please do but I'm not going to flip out if he's here for the next 2 years and then bolts.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
I actually agree with this. I'm usually not big on the whole leadership thing but him and Moncada seem to have a legit bond and having him here while Yoan grows up a bit isn't the worst thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, if we can get a huge deal for him or if he we can extend him at a good rate then please do but I'm not going to flip out if he's here for the next 2 years and then bolts.

Keeping him isn't a terrible thing, although $35 - 40 million over two seasons isn't exactly a cheap veteran to keep around for a rebuilding club. If it comes down to accepting a mediocre offer for the sake of trading him, I'd much rather keep him and ride the two seasons out. If things start to click in 2019, we might be happy to still have him?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Keeping him isn't a terrible thing, although $35 - 40 million over two seasons isn't exactly a cheap veteran to keep around for a rebuilding club. If it comes down to accepting a mediocre offer for the sake of trading him, I'd much rather keep him and ride the two seasons out. If things start to click in 2019, we might be happy to still have him?

I still think there's a decent chance we're competitive in 2019. Obviously we'll need things to go right on the development side with our young players, but if that happens and with a couple key free agent signings I think we'll have enough talent in place to make a wild card run. Once the key young guys (Moncada, Eloy, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, etc.) get through their growing pains this team should take a big leap forward. I want a proven middle-of-the-order bat like Abreu in place when that happens.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
The White Sox need to either extend Abreu or trade him. Holding him on his current deal while the team will be bad doesn't really make much sense. If he wants to stay forever and take a discount, then I think Hahn will be amenable. If he wants market value though, I think we see him moved. 4 year $70 million extension is the most that I'd think we see.

I don't totally disagree with this but again, I think it's binary nature makes it seem like there is huge risk in just keeping him on this deal. Say Jose is still great for next two years and we look awesome. At that point we could a) resign abreu to an encarnacion like contract or b) go to market with some other DH.

The true loss is just whatever prospects we don't get from a trade, and I still just don't think they are going to be anything more than depth.

And also, I do put value on the next two years. Cliche, whatever, but I do think the players on the roster will benefit from Abreu on roster. I think they benefited from being moderately competitive in august onward.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
We better be competitive in two years. If we are Jose Abreu is the offensive force to lead the young talent to a championship

The only way we're actually competitive in 2019 is if everything goes right - no one struggles, few major injuries, people develop rapidly.

One or two bad luck injuries to people we need to develop and we just aren't there in 2019, we're counting on too many things to go right. That's why I keep saying the Abreu and Garcia questions should be dealt with right now - because I'm circling 2020 and as of now neither of them are under contract for that year.

We can't have our team take a step forward to 85 wins or something like that in 2019 and then have our #4 and #5 hitters depart as free agents. Either get the extensions done or move them.

I sure can understand where you are coming from, but if we keep trading our best players especially team leaders like Abreu we find ourselves in perpetual rebuilding. I do agree with extending him and Avi Garcia. The concerns about injuries and such are just part of the game

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Gonna be honest, I don't see the FA market for 33 year old right handed sluggers being unaffordable in two years especially with where the sox will likely be at payroll.

We should be able to afford it but is that a game you really want to play? If we don't have an experienced backup and we make a strong bid for Abreu and someone outbids us...suddenly we are trying to win the world series with a scrap heap 1b.

Saying "Oh we can extend this guy in 2 years" is, especially for Abreu, a low reward, high risk move. If we wait, are we going to either save money or somehow find better production? There's a good chance we can keep him and keep his production, but if he walks, it would dramatically damage what should be the top team in the league for 2020.

If he won't extend now, then he's telling you he wants to play the FA market and him walking is a real risk. Give him a fair offer and find out. If he's insistent that he's going to play the FA market, that's his right, but we should assume there's a real chance of us trying to replace our cleanup hitter rather than trying to build a title contender.