NorthSideSox72

When to call up Eloy?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. When would you call up Eloy?

• Right Now
    • July, after Super 2 passes
    • Promote to AAA now, then a September call-up maybe
    • Wait until May-ish of 2019 to get the extra year of control

In Julie's column this week, she makes the pleading case for just bringing Eloy Jimenez to the majors Right Now. This to help mitigate the suffering of White Sox fans.

What do the rest of you think? Call him straight up now? Wait until July for Super 2 protection? Go to AAA first, then maybe a September call-up? Or maybe wait all the way to late May of 2019 to get an extra year of cheap labor?

Read the article, THEN vote and discuss.

Doing something for the fans is the worst reason to make a baseball move.  While he might succeed in the majors now that is not guaranteed.  With that said, he has earned a promotion to AAA.  His performance there should dictate his arrival time to MLB. If you are within days of super two, it probably makes sense to let that pass.

• Like 1

I am fully in the boat of letting this ship sink.  I see no reason to let Eloy or Kopech play an inning prior to late next April. 

Start getting serious about this team learning how to win in 2019.  Keep letting the AAAA trash, and fringe prospects, sink or swim at the MLB level in the meantime.

I want the #1 pick.   

I think it's important to note that, if you read the article, you will see that Julie isn't arguing to promote a prospect just because the fans want it. She's arguing that he's ready, and the team is keeping him down (maybe) for financial reasons, and she feels he should be promoted instead of that.

I am one that generally likes to sap as much value as I can out of every player. Ask iamshack about it. He hates it. With that being said, leaving Kopech and Jimenez in the minors until next April is insane and there's almost zero chance it happens. Those guys will be ready soon if they aren't already and it serves no purpose to leave them down there longer to suck another year of control out of them. It sets a really bad precedent in this case in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

In Julie's column this week, she makes the pleading case for just bringing Eloy Jimenez to the majors Right Now. This to help mitigate the suffering of White Sox fans.

What do the rest of you think? Call him straight up now? Wait until July for Super 2 protection? Go to AAA first, then maybe a September call-up? Or maybe wait all the way to late May of 2019 to get an extra year of cheap labor?

That was a great great article. I like this part:

"Maybe that’s why the Sox, never an attendance powerhouse, have the third-lowest average attendance to date, and are already over 110,000 guests behind last year’s number at this time. I’m not attendance-shaming here. I don’t blame people for not spending money on a largely trash product, especially with a minimum $20 price tag on parking alone. I don’t blame people for not wanting to take their kids to see a team that’s 8-18 at home. Save the ballpark for a chance at a good memory. Support the team in person if you want and can, by game ticket, TV tune-in, or website visit, but I don’t think anyone should feel obligated to. Maybe that’s a controversial opinion! Maybe it’s not. I don’t care either way."     

I still think it's unhealthy for everybody involved to have such a bad team. I guess the only reason to keep Eloy in the minors is the possibility of this lousy team affecting him mentally. The evidence sure is there that Timmy and Moncada lose interest at times and who can blame them since there's the "wink wink" lose is good mentality going on. I guess if I had to give an opinion I'd keep Eloy in the minors just because the losing environment is sooooo bad with the big league club right now. Why poison him til next season when maybe the Sox realize they better shoot for .480 or risk turning a lot of young players into losers.

Congrats to the author though. Great article and timely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I thought I read somewhere on here that Birmingham is hosting the AA All Star Game and that Jimenez would probably not get promoted before that game.

Yeah, but does that really make any sense? You think he cares about a minor league all-star game more than advancing, or that the FO cares more about it than his development? 

7 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

What do the rest of you think?

1) Call him straight up now?

2) Wait until July for Super 2 protection?

3) Go to AAA first, then maybe a September call-up?

4) Or maybe wait all the way to late May of 2019 to get an extra year of cheap labor?

Either 2 or 4. The other options make little sense. At least there's some smart team building strategy involved in 2 and 4.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Change will probably be coming in the next CBA. Free agency as currently constructed isn’t right. 

Whatever schedule people decide on for "an extra year of control starts now", and "Cost goes up if you call up before this date", teams will keep players down until that date is passed. 

For the White Sox, if they call up Jiminez now, that gives him an extra arb year at a cost over $10 million and it raises the cost of each subsequent year. Basically, calling him up right now as opposed to July is a $20 million additional bill. It's a full season of Craig Kimbrel as your closer in order to call up Jiminez now as opposed to July.

I just can't imagine how any fan who has been paying attention still cannot see the forest for the trees here.

Do you seriously, SERIOUSLY want to do ANYTHING with the prospects that isn't in their best long-term interest? Do you really think we should call our best prospect up simply to "mitigate the suffering"?

Guys

I want to fucking WIN A WORLD SERIES. You may not not like that we're rebuilding, but we are, and at this point there's no reason not to do it fully and correctly. Eloy moves up when it's the right time for his development, period. 

If you gotta do something else with your summer this year, then do it. Stop being soft. Let's fucking DO THIS.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

That was a great great article. I like this part:

"Maybe that’s why the Sox, never an attendance powerhouse, have the third-lowest average attendance to date, and are already over 110,000 guests behind last year’s number at this time. I’m not attendance-shaming here. I don’t blame people for not spending money on a largely trash product, especially with a minimum $20 price tag on parking alone. I don’t blame people for not wanting to take their kids to see a team that’s 8-18 at home. Save the ballpark for a chance at a good memory. Support the team in person if you want and can, by game ticket, TV tune-in, or website visit, but I don’t think anyone should feel obligated to. Maybe that’s a controversial opinion! Maybe it’s not. I don’t care either way."     

I still think it's unhealthy for everybody involved to have such a bad team. I guess the only reason to keep Eloy in the minors is the possibility of this lousy team affecting him mentally. The evidence sure is there that Timmy and Moncada lose interest at times and who can blame them since there's the "wink wink" lose is good mentality going on. I guess if I had to give an opinion I'd keep Eloy in the minors just because the losing environment is sooooo bad with the big league club right now. Why poison him til next season when maybe the Sox realize they better shoot for .480 or risk turning a lot of young players into losers.

Congrats to the author though. Great article and timely.

Let's not forget that Shohei Otani AND Trout are hardly moving the attendance meter when they go on the road...you're talking a once in a 100 years phenomenon in terms of what he's going, to the point where they might have to adapt the DH rule to allow some flexibility in hitting and pitching in the same game (just to make it even MORE exciting for the sport.)

There was that surge of excitement for 2-3 weeks when Moncada first came up, but I'm not sure how much it translated into tickets sold. There wasn't even a HUGE effect when Sale was starting and they had that special section/t-shirt giveaways, etc.

Probably more of a positive affect in jersey sales when Yoan arrived?

Pushing up Jimenez to the big leagues would surely have a similar effect...but this way the fans will at least have ONE thing to look forward to next year.   They should also get to see a lot of Collins and Zavala in the spring and then again at mid-season.

Kopech, that's a different issue and I think he'll need to learn as quickly as possible to become a pitcher and just not a raw stuff/blow 'em away thrower...he'll take his lumps, but it will only help in the long run.

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just can't imagine how any fan who has been paying attention still cannot see the forest for the trees here.

Do you seriously, SERIOUSLY want to do ANYTHING with the prospects that isn't in their best long-term interest? Do you really think we should call our best prospect up simply to "mitigate the suffering"?

Guys

I want to fucking WIN A WORLD SERIES. You may not not like that we're rebuilding, but we are, and at this point there's no reason not to do it fully and correctly. Eloy moves up when it's the right time for his development, period. 

If you gotta do something else with your summer this year, then do it. Stop being soft. Let's fucking DO THIS.

We're not being soft. We are just embarrassed at this sorry team. Now is there a guarantee we'll be great once the rebuild is complete? I sure hope so. I personally think we're seeing some of the problems with a rebuild. Some players seem to lose focus evidenced by their lapses. Whatever ... just win baby. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

We're not being soft. We are just embarrassed at this sorry team. Now is there a guarantee we'll be great once the rebuild is complete? I sure hope so. I personally think we're seeing some of the problems with a rebuild. Some players seem to lose focus evidenced by their lapses. Whatever ... just win baby. 

"I'm not being soft so here's the politically correct language I prefer you to use."

Keep him down until May of 2019. The sox are worst then I anticipated this year-no doubt. Fulmer and Giolito have been maddeningly disappointing. But a this point the year is shot. Take the pain.

I want the first overall pick in 2019 this years suffering. I don’t want to waste service time for any of these guys to feel good. Promote Eloy, Kopech in May of 2019. At that time we may also have Dunning, Collins, and Burdi knocking on the door health permitting. That’s should make any sox fan pretty excited. It’s a year away. You can’t turn back. Take the pain, 52-110 here we come. Add some serviceable veterans on  short term deals in the off-season, a real CF, perhaps another SP. This team looks entirely different a year from now. 

• Like 1

I still say July of this year as I want him up when he's ready, within some limits.

But every time I see a rant about this, I'm reminded of one point. The 2015 Chicago Cubs kept Kris Bryant in the minors until 2 weeks in the season to gain an extra year of control. He was probably ready for a September callup the year before. That team won 96 games, the 2nd wild card, and was Daniel Murphy turning into some sort of inhuman away from the world series. 

Carlos Correa put up a 1.006 OPS in his time at AA and AAA, they kept him down to June for 250 PAs. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I still say July of this year as I want him up when he's ready, within some limits.

But every time I see a rant about this, I'm reminded of one point. The 2015 Chicago Cubs kept Kris Bryant in the minors until 2 weeks in the season to gain an extra year of control. He was probably ready for a September callup the year before. That team won 96 games, the 2nd wild card, and was Daniel Murphy turning into some sort of inhuman away from the world series. 

Carlos Correa put up a 1.006 OPS in his time at AA and AAA, they kept him down to June for 250 PAs. 

Now you're talking logic and removing any emotions from it.

That's ONE positive trait that Hahn definitely has in abundance.

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, but does that really make any sense? You think he cares about a minor league all-star game more than advancing, or that the FO cares more about it than his development? 

Well, I don't think what he cares about matters at this point.  The game is in 3 weeks, I really don't know how much that will affect his development.  Honestly, yes, I think that could very well be the reason that he hasn't been promoted yet.