Soria traded for Kodi Medeiros and Wilber Perez.

Sleepy Harold

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

In his 2nd to last start, all I have heard so far is the Biloxi home announcer say he sits between 92-94 on the fastball. I feel like their own announcer should have the most up-to-date info on his velocity, unless the readings he is seeing are wrong.

I've reached out to Biloxi's PBP TV guy for clarity.

Got a response.

Garrett Greene @Garrett_Greene
Probably closer to 90-93 and can touch 94-95 when he really reaches back.

10 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Someone said earlier that Medeiros reminds them of Rodon, I think that's the best comparison. Slider is filth, has plus-plus potential if he can locate it, fastball is average to above, needs to develop the change and control. A poor man's Carlos Rodon is a great comp IMO. Hopefully he can reach that potential.

That was me.

28 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I’d like to Greg and Dick Allen’s reaction to this trade, but I’m guessing they’re too busy eating crow.

#internetdoesnotforget

Eating crow or coming up with an argument of how bad Medeiros is going to be.  "The city of Milwaukee was thrilled to see him go."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Eating crow or coming up with an argument of how bad Medeiros is going to be.  "The city of Milwaukee was thrilled to see him go."

Surprisingly Brewers fans were pretty upset to see Medeiros go.  While I’m a big fan of the move on our end, I can’t wait for the days when we can trade prospects of his caliber to help shoot for a playoff spot.  It’s amazing to me how much fans in competive organizations tend to overrate second tier prospects.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I mean if we said we’d get a teams prospect in the 12-15 range I think a lot of people would say that wasn’t much *prior to the trade*, but what you are seeing is there are still a lot of interesting and talented players in that range, just much more volatile.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean if we said we’d get a teams prospect in the 12-15 range I think a lot of people would say that wasn’t much *prior to the trade*, but what you are seeing is there are still a lot of interesting and talented players in that range, just much more volatile.

Yeah when people were talking about top 100 type of guys, that was too much.  This is a middle tier guy with a chance,  which makes sense. 

58 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah when people were talking about top 100 type of guys, that was too much.  This is a middle tier guy with a chance,  which makes sense. 

Yep exactly. It's not like we got a top ten from the Braves system. This is about what I expected

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Surprisingly Brewers fans were pretty upset to see Medeiros go.  While I’m a big fan of the move on our end, I can’t wait for the days when we can trade prospects of his caliber to help shoot for a playoff spot.  It’s amazing to me how much fans in competive organizations tend to overrate second tier prospects.

They also had a strong connection to Kodi due to him being a first round pick and him finally showing progress this year.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Pretty sobering where he ranks in our farm. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=cws

19th below Sheets, Burdi, and Hamilton.

Why is that sobering?  Burdi & Hamilton are elite relief prospects.  And despite showing much power, Sheets is still a talented 1B prospect in his first full year of professional baseball.  I might put him before Sheets, but overall I think his ranking makes a lot of sense.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is that sobering?  Burdi & Hamilton are elite relief prospects.  And despite showing much power, Sheets is still a talented 1B prospect in his first full year of professional baseball.  I might put him before Sheets, but overall I think his ranking makes a lot of sense.

They are relief prospects Sheets is an older non elite 1B prospect. In any case as far as I'm concerned it's all gravy with Soria because we got him for free basically just after his season I was expecting more.

Looking at what other relievers went for it wasn't a bad trade just disappointing was hoping we'd end up more basically on what other teams have historically paid.

Edited by wrathofhahn

23 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Crazy prediction here. Got a feeling Kodi ends up a top 10 WS prospect and near top 100 guy by this time next year. I’d take that all day.

We really don't have much left-handed starting pitching in our system, so from that perspective this makes sense too. It looks like Medeiros has the raw stuff to be an effective starter, whichever portion of the rotation that is. If hearing a new voice/growing up/continued development gets him to hone the command, you got something very nice here.