Sox in on "everyone"

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Can anyone confirm that the pending TV contract will indeed be enhanced by better ratings and better performance, regarding this coming season, and if so, to what degree? Is there a way to quantify any correlation between such factors? How do such factors vary, from one team, to another?

It’s not just about this coming season, but the projected ratings over the life of the contract.  In any business, current performance is the starting point for future expectations.  From there you have to build a business case for why you expect things to change.  If you’re starting point is worst in the league ratings and down 30% over the past two seasons, you’re not going to have a ton of leverage.  A big name signing (like Harper) this offseason or some proof that things are trending upward would help tremendously.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Can anyone confirm that the pending TV contract will indeed be enhanced by better ratings and better performance, regarding this coming season, and if so, to what degree? Is there a way to quantify any correlation between such factors? How do such factors vary, from one team, to another?

All we can do is hope a better team brings in higher ratings. Higher ratings mean  higher advertising revenue. Bad team, lower viewership equals less advertisers and less money. Higher ratings equal more viewers for advertisers fighting for space during the telecast thus leading to higher advertising contracts. That's as simply as I can put it. Not sure we can draw a correlation to other teams. I'd just say that's Ratings 101.

The most glaring example of this is how much advertisers pay for Superbowl ads which gets extremely high ratings.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What free agents would you like us to sign?  Would you be upset if we landed Harper or Machado?

I want us to sign nobody of significance. This team has alot more growing up to do before we can start trying to spend big bucks. If it even gets to that point. 

I'm fairly confident we wont get either of those players. Frankly I think it's a waste of time. 

Edited by Baron

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I want us to sign nobody of significance. This team has alot more growing up to do before we can start trying to spend big bucks. If it even gets to that point. 

I'm fairly confident we wont get either of those players. Frankly I think it's a waste of time. 

So you would rather they just not try to sign either of them?

32 minutes ago, Baron said:

To pursue two generational talents who are both only 26 years old?  Well ok, I guess that qualifies as one point of view.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Yes. Overall my view is I don't trust Hahn to sign any free agents.However in this case I think to even get be a finalist he'll have to massively overpay. 

Overall besides that we don't have alot of good going for us this upcoming year. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

Yes. Overall my view is I don't trust Hahn to sign any free agents.However in this case I think to even get be a finalist he'll have to massively overpay. 

Overall besides that we don't have alot of good going for us this upcoming year. 

Any specific reason why you don't trust Hahn to sign any free agents?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Any specific reason why you don't trust Hahn to sign any free agents?

He's had very little success. I'll beat a dead horse but before the rebuild if this were under any other owner. He probably would have been fired.

Edited by Baron
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

He's had very little success. I'll beat a dead horse but before the rebuild if this were under any other owner. He probably would have been fired before the rebuild started. 

Certainly true.

He's signed some FAs - really only Robertson was of any quality.
I don't really care if he signs some of these 2nd/3rd tier guys - i think it's a waste but it shouldn't do real harm.
My fear is that he starts trading for veterans ....that's where Hahn is dangerous.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Certainly true.

He's signed some FAs - really only Robertson was of any quality.
I don't really care if he signs some of these 2nd/3rd tier guys - i think it's a waste but it shouldn't do real harm.
My fear is that he starts trading for veterans ....that's where Hahn is dangerous.

That's certainly a concern. It really just depends how much pressure he is under to get this team competitive again. 

27 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

To pursue two generational talents who are both only 26 years old?  Well ok, I guess that qualifies as one point of view.   

Not sure what your definition of generational talent is. Machado so far is a .282 lifetime batter after 7 seasons. He is an excellent defensive player.  Has never won an MVP.  Machado usually is a Top 10 in AL voting before this season.   I would say Mike Trout is the  AL generational player right now and guys like Machado, Judge, Betts  will be  chasing him.   I am not sure on Harper. His 2015 was a monster but his .249 average last year is a little concerning.  If the Sox had 2 or 3 solid positional pieces in place already, I think it would be a better shot going for one of them. 

So one question, if the budget is $400 Mil,  would you rather spend $400 mil on Machado or Harper  or spread the risk and fill 3 or 4 spots with the $400. on the next tier down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Not sure what your definition of generational talent is. Machado so far is a .282 lifetime batter after 7 seasons. He is an excellent defensive player.  Has never won an MVP.  Machado usually is a Top 10 in AL voting before this season.   I would say Mike Trout is the  AL generational player right now and guys like Machado, Judge, Betts  will be  chasing him.   I am not sure on Harper. His 2015 was a monster but his .249 average last year is a little concerning.  If the Sox had 2 or 3 solid positional pieces in place already, I think it would be a better shot going for one of them. 

So one question, if the budget is $400 Mil,  would you rather spend $400 mil on Machado or Harper  or spread the risk and fill 3 or 4 spots with the $400. on the next tier down. 

Spreading risk in baseball means getting a lot of bad veterans you should be able to replace internally.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Spreading risk in baseball means getting a lot of bad veterans you should be able to replace internally.

I tend to agree with this answer to the question.  Seems like we've tried this approach many times in the past, and how has that worked out for us?  Let's grab a premium talent (or two) and combine them with our young prospects and see how we fare.  

3 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Yes. Overall my view is I don't trust Hahn to sign any free agents.

I also don't trust Hahn to trade for players, or the organization to develop them.  I frankly hope the Sox avoid "good players" altogether, and maybe think about burning down the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I also don't trust Hahn to trade for players, or the organization to develop them.  I frankly hope the Sox avoid "good players" altogether, and maybe think about burning down the stadium.

What's there to think about? 

I'm certain the Sox will make an effort to sign some of the big name free agents.  I would imagine they'll try hardest for Harper and/or Machado.  They'll most likely have to offer the most money and possibly include some opt outs to have a chance.  I still think the chances are relatively slim, but if they were able to sign one of Harper or Machado, it would do so much for the team.  Aside from instantly improving the team, more tickets will be sold, the fan base could indeed grow, and the rest of baseball will realize the Sox are serious.

Personally I'd rather see Harper.  In addition to what he would add on the field, he would instantly be the face of the franchise.

This is just agents playing games with the media. They'll use the Whitesox as a darkhorse to drive up the prices of their clients.

If Hahn is smart he will only sign veterans to shortterm deals and continue to look to sell. This team is nowhere close to being ready. Rodon and Abreu should both be moved. Omar Narvaez should be looked at as well

Agents have made a living suckering desperate GM's and teams fans that you can turn around a 100 loss team via FA. You can't unless you have payrolls like the Dodgers, Sox, and Yankees. This team has too many holes at too many positions to be able to fix them via FA.

Edited by wrathofhahn

8 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

This is just agents playing games with the media. They'll use the Whitesox as a darkhorse to drive up the prices of their clients.

If Hahn is smart he will only sign veterans to shortterm deals and continue to look to sell. This team is nowhere close to being ready. Rodon and Abreu should both be moved.

Agents have made a living suckering desperate GM's and teams fans that you can turn around a 100 loss team via FA. You can't unless you have payrolls like the Dodgers, Sox, and Yankees. This team has too many holes at too many positions to be able to fix them via FA.

Why would they trade Rodon now, before he’s proven that his velocity is back and that he’s 100% healthy for another 3-4 months?

What’s the rush?  What do the Sox know that everyone else doesn’t?

I would be tremendously suspicious as a rival GM if Hahn actually tried to push him this offseason.  Put another way, when’s the last time a team traded a young, still cost-controlled pitcher from the LH side with his stuff?

Well, other than Chris Sale...I guess the deals for Archer and Cole, but both those guys were more established than Rodon.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Why would they trade Rodon now, before he’s proven that his velocity is back and that he’s 100% healthy for another 3-4 months?

What’s the rush?  What do the Sox know that everyone else doesn’t?

I would be tremendously suspicious as a rival GM if Hahn actually tried to push him this offseason.

Because we are at least two years away and he only has three years control remaining. His years of control are valuable probably more valuable then him proving he can stay healthy.

Paxton return is discouraging but the SP market is awful. There might never be a better time to cash in and let some other team absorb all the risk.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Because we are at least two years away and he only has three years control remaining. His years of control are valuable probably more valuable then him proving he can stay healthy.

Paxton return is discouraging but the SP market is awful. There might never be a better time to cash in and let some other team absorb all the risk.

And if WSD is right, the Sox have never cared for his offseason work ethic