Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You've been saying this forever it seems; what about the last few off-seasons have led you to give this team the benefit of the doubt?

Why are you always very negative? The last offseason was a success. The year after that not soo much but if you think last year wasn’t a success than I don’t know which planet your on. Obviously, a few of the players didn’t work out but anyone would’ve been happy with the offseason we had last year.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Why are you always very negative? The last offseason was a success. The year after that not soo much but if you think last year wasn’t a success than I don’t know which planet your on. Obviously, some of the players didn’t work out but anyone would’ve been happy with the offseason we had last year.

What is negative about not being ecstatic about giving out one contract for 74 million dollars? 

I have higher expectations for the ball club than you do apparently, which is fine.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not misleading at all. Will Sox lead AL in offseason spending? Most likely not. But at this point, they've improved more than any team in the AL and whining about them constantly doesn't really make sense right now. 

I think fans are whining because before the off-season even got into full swing, the White Sox were said to be out on Brantley, Springer, and Bauer because they were "too expensive."

Given how weak the FA pool is this year, it's kind of hard to get excited about shopping in the discount aisle for the 97th year in a row.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1 year later 50% of fans wanted to keep James McCann over Yasmani Grandal (not saying they're  right, just saying speaking for everyone seems like a bit much)
last year I can't say I was happy with getting Keuchel (he obviously pitched well last year, but I'm worried about him this year as I was last) 

If they had signed Wheeler and Grandal I would say it was a huge success; but signing Keuchel/Grandal was a step in the right direction but not a huge success imo.

You're forgetting about Moncada and Robert and Bummer extensions.  

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think fans are whining because before the off-season even got into full swing, the White Sox were said to be out on Brantley, Springer, and Bauer because they were "too expensive."

Given how weak the FA pool is this year, it's kind of hard to get excited about shopping in the discount aisle for the 97th year in a row.

Read: Championships are too expensive. 

Bill Wirtz was just dumb enough to say it out loud. 

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You're forgetting about Moncada and Robert extensions.  

The Sox should keep their own star players; the extensions were only great because they added "financial flexibility." If the Sox aren't actually going to spend the money they "saved" by extending their core, then it's all for naught. 

Am I happy they're here for a while? Absolutely. Am I going to applaud a major market team for not not allowing their star players to leave in FA? Not really.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is negative about not being ecstatic about giving out one contract for 74 million dollars? 

I have higher expectations for the ball club than you do apparently, which is fine.

Than go cheer on the Mets or the Dodgers and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Than go cheer on the Mets than if you want and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. 

what?

Maybe Rick Hahn should go cheer for the Mets too:

But his most relevant message was a promise that the financial flexibility created by the ongoing rebuilding process will not go to waste.

"At the end of the day, we made what we felt was not only a very aggressive offer, a very compelling offer and one that helped balance and represent the risk and the upside for both sides. Didn’t work, which is obviously disappointing. But it does not change the fact that we are going to once again be in this market when the time is right and hopefully, at that time, convert.

"The money will be spent. It might not be spent this offseason, but it will be spent at some point. This isn’t money sitting around waiting to just accumulate interest. It’s money trying to be deployed to put us in best position to win some championships."

That quote was two years ago now. Let me know when all that money Hahn told us he saved in the rebuild is going to go to work as opposed to "sitting around... accumulating interest."

If you don't like the White Sox being cheap, Go cheer for another team!

Brilliants takes on Soxtalk. 

Maloney told us all to "wait and see" on Springer too before complaining lol. So when is it OK to complain exactly, Maloney?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I suppose but they have one of the best teams in the American League. They will add to that team. If they don't, I'll grab my pitchfork and get in line. 

Sox did spend a lot of money last offseason in free agency and extensions. I’m still shocked at how it’s so hard for some to realize the lack of fans in 2020 and uncertainty going forward has altered their financial situation.  They might not have lost money, but they sure as hell didn’t generate as much as they projected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I suppose but they have one of the best teams in the American League. They will add to that team. If they don't, I'll grab my pitchfork and get in line. 

I hear you Jimmy, I'm just afraid they wasted a massive opportunity to put themselves ahead of the pack. As of right now, I think they sit right in the middle of the top 5-6 teams, and that is frustrating for a team who is all-in. Time could change that, and maybe they make a big splash but if they do I'd bet it's via trade which means the surrendering of more assets. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll hold your spot in the pitchfork line while you wait.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

what?

Maybe Rick Hahn should go cheer for the Mets too:

But his most relevant message was a promise that the financial flexibility created by the ongoing rebuilding process will not go to waste.

"At the end of the day, we made what we felt was not only a very aggressive offer, a very compelling offer and one that helped balance and represent the risk and the upside for both sides. Didn’t work, which is obviously disappointing. But it does not change the fact that we are going to once again be in this market when the time is right and hopefully, at that time, convert.

"The money will be spent. It might not be spent this offseason, but it will be spent at some point. This isn’t money sitting around waiting to just accumulate interest. It’s money trying to be deployed to put us in best position to win some championships."

That quote was two years ago now. Let me know when all that money Hahn told us he saved in the rebuild is going to go to work as opposed to "sitting around... accumulating interest."

Did I ever say that every decision they have made I have agreed with? No, so why are we even arguing over this. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox did spend a lot of money last offseason in free agency and extensions. I’m still shocked at how it’s so hard for some to realize the lack of fans in 2020 and uncertainty going forward has altered their financial situation.  They might not have lost money, but they sure as hell didn’t generate as much as they projected.

But the Sox were supposed to be spending the money they accumulated throughout the rebuild; not the money they made last year. I get this POV, but they had money accumulating interest for years, now that money is gone?

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Did I ever say that every decision they have made I agree with? No, so why are we even arguing over this. 

Maybe because you asked why I was being so negative and then told me to go root for the Dodgers or Mets? Last I checked, I merely asked you why you continue to give the team the benefit of the doubt. 

Have a good one.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But the Sox were supposed to be spending the money they accumulated throughout the rebuild; not the money they made last year. I get this POV, but they had money accumulating interest for years, now that money is gone?

That easily could be the money that they’re using now to even keep payroll at a similar rate.  Who knows, but this is the one offseason where it’s incredibly difficult to project what the payroll will be.  I couldn’t agree more with you regarding the Sox seemingly building a roster good enough to make the postseason, but not putting together a juggernaut.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One more thing....never for one second did I believe Hahn regarding saving up cash for future use.  It was just his way of trying to keep the fan base from melting down even more.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe because you asked why I was being so negative and then told me to go root for the Dodgers or Mets? Last I checked, I merely asked you why you continue to give the team the benefit of the doubt. 

Have a good one.

Look I agree with you about how the team operates in some aspects, etc. so let’s just leave it at that and carry on. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

One more thing....never for one second did I believe Hahn regarding saving up cash for future use.  It was just his way of trying to keep the fan base from melting down even more.

I mean, ironically they added something like $50 million in payroll in the offseason before 2019 through trades and FA. 

I don't know what to think about this, since a lot of bad teams purposely don't invest much in bullpen, but:

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.18.49 PM.png

10 of top 11 bullpens made playoffs. The mariners were last one out, easy to say a better bullpen puts them in perhaps.

The Astros/Yanks/Cubs were at a huge disadvantage for much of year, and Astros would have never made it in in any other division.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.22.00 PM.png

2019 - 8 top 10 made playoffs. The Braves and Nationals didn't really struggle to get in, and the Mets improbably tried to build a great bullpen and sucked at it.

There is much more divergence in SP.

But hitting? Top offenses made it in.

I gotta tell ya. If I'm sox - I got a great offense. I have the makings of a great bullpen. Do I try to load up SP? I kinda think bullpen is attractive.

• Like 1

I think the worse your team is the more low leverage situations your RP's pitch in, the more likely you are to trade RP's, the more likely you are to use inexperienced arms in games, and the more likely you are to have middle relievers in games who are typically the lesser of arms. Haven't really looked at that though and it's an interesting point for sure.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know what to think about this, since a lot of bad teams purposely don't invest much in bullpen, but:

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.18.49 PM.png

10 of top 11 bullpens made playoffs. The mariners were last one out, easy to say a better bullpen puts them in perhaps.

The Astros/Yanks/Cubs were at a huge disadvantage for much of year, and Astros would have never made it in in any other division.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.22.00 PM.png

2019 - 8 top 10 made playoffs. The Braves and Nationals didn't really struggle to get in, and the Mets improbably tried to build a great bullpen and sucked at it.

I gotta tell ya. If I'm sox - I got a great offense. I have the makings of a great bullpen. Do I try to load up SP? I kinda think bullpen is attractive.

If the rotation plan is to extend Giolito & Lynn and hope that two out of Kopech, Cease, Crochet, & Stiever hit, why not splurge on an elite closer?  And realistically, we have a great young / cheap relief core for the next handful of years, so I’m not sure value shopping for two lesser relievers is better than just getting the best 9th inning guy possible.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good stuff. Thanks for posting that. It makes sense that if you have a great offense and a great bullpen, you're going to give yourself a great chance. In games where it's 5-5 in the 5th inning, your great bullpen takes over and your great offense continues to score runs (I know it's not that simplistic, but the point remains).

I have no problem with adding to the bullpen, signing one more Quintana-like SP, and rolling into the season ready to go.  We can always evaluate starting pitching at the trade deadline, as well.  We'll have a better idea of where we stand with Cease and Kopech at that point.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic