Lorretta's Lounge renamed after TLR

DoUEvenShift

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How many people knew the story of Loretta's Lounge before the complaints started? I don't recall one post before this was changed what a nice gesture it was to name a lounge after a dedicated food service employee. 

Yeah, but not every nice gesture is considered newsworthy in our society. Sometimes you can just nod in agreement or silently think something is cool instead of needing to share it with the internet. On the other hand, a reversal of a nice gesture by an organization in the spotlight is an odd move that's going to get some attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Yeah, but not every nice gesture is considered newsworthy in our society. Sometimes you can just nod in agreement or silently think something is cool instead of needing to share it with the internet. On the other hand, a reversal of a nice gesture by an organization in the spotlight is an odd move that's going to get some attention.

If it was enough to outrage when it was changed, although the plaque remains, it should have been something that was at least mentioned . It never was. I have literally been in that park over 1,000 times, and I had heard about it. Saw the name Loretta's Lounge, thought it was a nice thing. I saw the LaRussa's Lounge this season, couldn't remember it was Loretta's Lounge. I don't like Tony LaRussa, but this really is much ado about nothing. She had her name on a sign for years, and she still will be recognized. If this pisses someone off so much, they are just looking for things to piss them off.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If it was enough to outrage when it was changed, although the plaque remains, it should have been something that was at least mentioned . It never was. I have literally been in that park over 1,000 times, and I had heard about it. Saw the name Loretta's Lounge, thought it was a nice thing. I saw the LaRussa's Lounge this season, couldn't remember it was Loretta's Lounge. I don't like Tony LaRussa, but this really is much ado about nothing. She had her name on a sign for years, and she still will be recognized. If this pisses someone off so much, they are just looking for things to piss them off.

That is impressive! That's going to every single home game for 12.3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

How many people knew the story of Loretta's Lounge before the complaints started? I don't recall one post before this was changed what a nice gesture it was to name a lounge after a dedicated food service employee. 

They kept the plaque. Will give the family a sign. For anyone this is bothering, it's time to let it go. 

I used to work with part of their family. I actually just put it together right now. A few other members work for the Sox and some of them got WS rings back in 2005. 

Ill be honest, for the most part anyone I know who has worked or been a part of the WS has usually said good things about them. So if you take out the Larussa part, Im not sure that there really is much here.

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I used to work with part of their family. I actually just put it together right now. A few other members work for the Sox and some of them got WS rings back in 2005. 

Ill be honest, for the most part anyone I know who has worked or been a part of the WS has usually said good things about them. So if you take out the Larussa part, Im not sure that there really is much here.

yeah... lets be honest....

I’m not sure why they even felt compelled to make this name change.  It’s not like this a tribute to LaRussa like it was a tribute to the long time employee.  It’s just putting his name out there for the sake of putting his name out there.  

A worthwhile tribute is like naming the broadcast booth after Hawk or the organist booth after Nancy Faust.  The difference is those two served the Sox organization very well for a long time.  The same cannot be said about LaRussa in a Sox uniform.

So why reverse the lovely gesture acknowledging the long term employee when you could slap LaRussa’s name on any number of other generic things in the park if you felt the need to add his name somewhere?  Put his name on something that doesn’t already have a name on it.  

I hope they quietly find a way to put Loretta’s name back up on the lounge while rethinking the need to add LaRussa’s name anywhere.

• Thanks 3

It should be pretty obvious to any moral person why this is so offensive.

The people like the food service workers, vendors, attendants, cleaning crews, security guards, etc. make the park a place to go.  These people all come first, even below the players.  The actual chain of importance is essential facility support workers > players > front office staff > ownership.  Literally, no single person would ever attend a ballpark if there weren't security guards or bathroom cleaning staff.  Then after that comes the food service workers, etc.  MiLB baseball is proof that you can still draw fans to a baseball game even if nobody in attendance knows any of the players on the field or gives a fuck about either team, the score, or who wins or loses.  

So these people are pretty important.  They are paid the least of all and a tiny fraction of what the players, FO and ownership all make.  They do thankless work and are rarely recognized for anything.

What is important here is gesture that the sign naming is supposed to represent.  The dorf is a POS scumbag to me regardless, but it's at least a nice gesture to make a statement that these workers are important, whether the Sox org actually treats these people decently compared to others in sports or not.  The sign being named after a concessions worker is a statement that these people are actually important.  It's fine to change the name to another concession worker, or name it after all of the concession workers, or name it after some long-time security guard or something like that, etc., as long as it is still being used as a gesture to pay homage to this level of worker.  But withdrawing that gesture and naming it after yet another player/manager/coach/owner etc. like everything else is a scumbag move and completely unnecessary.  It's basically saying "We really don't think it is important to pay tribute to this class of ballpark employee anymore."  That's the statement they are making whether anyone involved is of enough moral status to be aware of it or not.

The TLR is a totally different side of this.  It doesn't matter who they named it after.  You can name any other unnamed part of the park after TLR if you really think you need to, or you can name it after TA or Abreu, or someone else, and that is fine.  But taking down a sign that stands as a statement of appreciation for the lowest-paid class of ballpark employee to name that area after any of those guys is a scumbag move.

As an aside, I bet if you asked around the clubhouse privately whether the players thought this was a dirty move and were for or against it, overwhelmingly it would be considered dirty and overwhelmingly they would be against it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, harkness99 said:

i really dont think so - 

I've watched the video a handful of times and the entire at bat he looks at the dugout once - and its not long enough for a sign

Post a link to the video you have watched that includes the time period just prior to Yermin hitting the HR where Yermin looks down for the sign.

Let's both look at the same clip to discuss.

LaRussa was yelling take, take, take from the dugout and  other Sox players heard that.

Has Yermin ever stated that he did not hear LaRussa or explain what he saw when he looked at Super Joe ?  Maybe he saw a sign but didn't understand it.

I don't get the argument that the decision  to swing in any at bat is the player's prerogative rather than the Managers.

*IF* Yermin missed the sign from Super Joe and did not hear LaRussa, he could have simply apologized.   Instead, he chose to respond by stating that he plays HIS game.  HIS game. That attitude sets a bad precedent for the team---you can disobey and even disrespect your coaches and managers and even turn fans against them because you have become the center of attention, the Star who has the limelight on them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Post a link to the video you have watched that includes the time period just prior to Yermin hitting the HR where Yermin looks down for the sign.

LaRussa was yelling take, take, take from the dugout and  other Sox players heard that.

Has Yermin ever stated that he did not hear LaRussa or explain what he saw when he looked at Super Joe ?  Maybe he saw a sign but didn't understand it.

I don't get the argument that the decision  to swing in any at bat is the player's prerogative rather than the Managers.

*IF* Yermin missed the sign from Super Joe and did not hear LaRussa, he could have simply apologized.   Instead, he chose to respond by stating that he plays HIS game.  HIS game. That attitude sets a bad precedent for the team---you can disobey and even disrespect your coaches and managers and even turn fans against them because you have become the center of attention, the Star who has the limelight on them.

it was already done somewhere in the TLR thread.. video link with time stamp.

No one has said anything about this besides larussa and yermin saying very little - and some indirect comments on twitter by a few people.

If there are quotes about it from other players I haven't see any.  

I never read about anyone saying they heard anything.

Edited by harkness99

5 minutes ago, tray said:

For the 78th time, Tony told the press that Yermin missed the sign. The rest of it is exactly why Tony is out of touch with the modern game. Instead of talking to Yermin like a man, he spent days talking to the press. The ONLY reason this got legs is because Tony had to make himself the center of attention by repeatedly talking to the press about it. If he could shut up and keep it in the locker room,  no one ever knows and the controversy never happens.

• Thanks 2

I saw the video and in my opinion., UYermin looks at Super Jow just prior to the pitch that he hits the home run. It is a fleeting glance which to me , looks like he was

trying to either blow it off, or perhaps he misunderstood it.

I really think that Yermin should clear this up. I get that people dislike LaRussa but you can't have any player blowing off their coaches and Managers.

For those here who are parents or have been coaches, you tell your kids (and players if you were  or are a coach) to do something.

They need to listen and certainly not try to show you up, even if you are wrong. I don't understand where Yermin is coming from on this when he continues to say he is playing HIS game.  What the heck does that mean?  He does what he wants regardless?

20 minutes ago, tray said:

I saw the video and in my opinion., UYermin looks at Super Jow just prior to the pitch that he hits the home run. It is a fleeting glance which to me , looks like he was

trying to either blow it off, or perhaps he misunderstood it.

I really think that Yermin should clear this up. I get that people dislike LaRussa but you can't have any player blowing off their coaches and Managers.

For those here who are parents or have been coaches, you tell your kids (and players if you were  or are a coach) to do something.

They need to listen and certainly not try to show you up, even if you are wrong. I don't understand where Yermin is coming from on this when he continues to say he is playing HIS game.  What the heck does that mean?  He does what he wants regardless?

out of 4 pitches he only glances over once... doesn't seem he was expecting any signs...

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the 78th time, Tony told the press that Yermin missed the sign. The rest of it is exactly why Tony is out of touch with the modern game. Instead of talking to Yermin like a man, he spent days talking to the press. The ONLY reason this got legs is because Tony had to make himself the center of attention by repeatedly talking to the press about it. If he could shut up and keep it in the locker room,  no one ever knows and the controversy never happens.

He looks at Super Joe  after the 3-0 count,  just before hitting the home run.

It looks like a disingenuous effort to check for a sign, a glance, almost like he intentionally wanted to blow it off.

Anyway. Yermin should have clarified this instead of adding fuel to the fire. You can argue with LaRussa's decision whether to take 3-0 in that situation.

Tony wanted to be conservative and not wake a sleeping dog (The Twins).  Maybe he should have let Yermin swing. OK, Whatever. Say whatever about your opinion of LaRussa.

However,  I just don't get why Yermin  said this was about him playing his game. That to me is bulshit. 

You have to follow the coach and the manager, period. Once he didn't I agree with what LaRussa said ...that he would be disciplined. This is a player that showed up late fpor a game less than a week before and had a history of doing that.  He needs to follow the rules, like everyone else. LaRussa is old as dirt but he isn't going to take shit from any player.

28 minutes ago, tray said:

He looks at Super Joe  after the 3-0 count,  just before hitting the home run.

It looks like a disingenuous effort to check for a sign, a glance, almost like he intentionally wanted to blow it off.

Anyway. Yermin should have clarified this instead of adding fuel to the fire. You can argue with LaRussa's decision whether to take 3-0 in that situation.

Tony wanted to be conservative and not wake a sleeping dog (The Twins).  Maybe he should have let Yermin swing. OK, Whatever. Say whatever about your opinion of LaRussa.

However,  I just don't get why Yermin  said this was about him playing his game. That to me is bulshit. 

You have to follow the coach and the manager, period. Once he didn't I agree with what LaRussa said ...that he would be disciplined. This is a player that showed up late fpor a game less than a week before and had a history of doing that.  He needs to follow the rules, like everyone else. LaRussa is old as dirt but he isn't going to take shit from any player.

You are twisting yourself into knots trying to will something into reality that never happened. 

Tony said he missed the sign. The rest of this is a fantasy.

47 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This team could win the World Series and there'd still be an array of complaints on here

Tony LaRussa could give away the wild card series with some decisions he makes, the White Sox would rename the Harrelson broadcasting booth after him as a reward, and a subset of people would cheer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

This team could win the World Series and there'd still be an array of complaints on here

There's people here that would rather see the White Sox lose/miss a world series  instead of winning it all if it is Tony La Russa at the helm.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There's people here that would rather see the White Sox lose/miss a world series  instead of winning it all if it is Tony La Russa at the helm.

I would rather see Abreu benched than win the MVP with so much chaw in his cheeks...are you joining the Jerksticks Brigade?

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There are people here who are ok with the White Sox losing in the Wild Card round because LaRussa is their manager now.

Tony gave the sign, Yermin missed the sign.

Tray is responding to the weird conspiracy theory being postulated here that Tony is lying about giving the take sign and actually never gave any sign all.

LaRuAnon.  I don’t know why that part is so controversial.  No reason to think he’s lying about the sign.

Edited by Green Line

Just now, Green Line said:

Tony gave the sign, Yermin missed the sign.

Tray is responding to the weird conspiracy theory being postulated here that Tony is lying about giving the take sign and actually never gave any sign all.

LaRuAnon

but he isn't really responding to that lol... he is saying that yermin intentionally ignored the sign.

nice try though.