Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

One thing I just thought of is how vaccinations will impact things at the trade deadline.  I’d assume players that aren’t vaccinated will come at some discount as it puts downward pressure on total team thresholds.  I have not been able to see anywhere online if Escobar has been vaccinated or not.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

One thing I just thought of is how vaccinations will impact things at the trade deadline.  I’d assume players that aren’t vaccinated will come at some discount as it puts downward pressure on total team thresholds.  I have not been able to see anywhere online if Escobar has been vaccinated or not.

That isn't going to be public knowledge,  and I am not even sure that can be included with medicals.

• Thanks 1

Maybe the dorf is thinking he will get some $$ back reselling all that popcorn he had his jabroni security guard confiscate for him last night.

Whatever the case, if the Sox are willing to do take on Blackmon potentially, that would be a big lift to the team.  I would probably try to do Eaton + Marshall + fringe prospect for Blackmon + cash to kind of get out of a little bit of that extra money owed to Blackmon.  I think that's definitely fair for a salary dump.  Not a lot of teams will be lining up to take on his contract during this pandemic/post-pandemic season.

Escobar also could come with Soria and maybe Calhoun too.  If the Sox took on all 3 of those guys, the prospect cost should be very low. 

Example: Eaton + Marshall + Pilkington for Blackmon (+1 40-man roster spot)

Then, Ruiz/Burdi + Sheets + McClure for Escobar + Soria + Calhoun (-1 40-man roster spot)

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That isn't going to be public knowledge,  and I am not even sure that can be included with medicals.

A ton of players have come out stating they have been vaccinated, but in many cases it is.  Obviously if it’s not out there, that doesn’t mean a player isn’t vaccinated, that I agree with.  I kind of think vaccination status has to be shareable amongst GMs given the implications it can have on a club.

41 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Maybe the dorf is thinking he will get some $$ back reselling all that popcorn he had his jabroni security guard confiscate for him last night.

Whatever the case, if the Sox are willing to do take on Blackmon potentially, that would be a big lift to the team.  I would probably try to do Eaton + Marshall + fringe prospect for Blackmon + cash to kind of get out of a little bit of that extra money owed to Blackmon.  I think that's definitely fair for a salary dump.  Not a lot of teams will be lining up to take on his contract during this pandemic/post-pandemic season.

Escobar also could come with Soria and maybe Calhoun too.  If the Sox took on all 3 of those guys, the prospect cost should be very low. 

Example: Eaton + Marshall + Pilkington for Blackmon (+1 40-man roster spot)

Then, Ruiz/Burdi + Sheets + McClure for Escobar + Soria + Calhoun (-1 40-man roster spot)

Blackmon is 34 years old and has been a below average hitter over his last 600 plate appearances.  He definitely isn’t the answer.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Blackmon is 34 years old and has been a below average hitter over his last 600 plate appearances.  He definitely isn’t the answer.

It's just money.

We could still go after Marte anyway.  And Blackmon is definitely an improvement over what we have been working with.

As far as an "answer," I'm not really sure we are going to find that during this trade deadline.

Maybe there is an outside shot of the Sox doing something with 2 of Carson Kelly/Zac Gallen/Ketel Marte at the expense of Vaughn + Crochet/Cease, plus maybe Mardgial, Collins, etc.  There are a couple of potential deals you could throw out there that might make it worth trading Vaughn + Crochet.  But I don't think we will really get a solution unless we put those guys out there.  Especially since Y2Jimmy said he thinks even Haniger would cost Crochet.

If we are trying to improve the team now, and only spend money, and not forfeit much in the way of prospects, Blackmon should be on the board for sure.

8 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

2 of Carson Kelly/Zac Gallen/Ketel Marte at the expense of Vaughn + Crochet/Cease, plus maybe Mardgial, Collins, etc.  There are a couple of potential deals you could throw out there that might make it worth trading Vaughn + Crochet.  But I don't think we will really get a solution unless we put those guys out there.  Especially since Y2Jimmy said he thinks even Haniger would cost Crochet

What? What are people smoking.

We aren't trading Vaughn/Kopech.

Crochet? MAAAAYBE.

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

What? What are people smoking.

We aren't trading Vaughn/Kopech.

Crochet? MAAAAYBE.

Vaughn for Carson Kelly, as a base

Vaughn + Crochet + Madrigal for Carson Kelly + Ketel Marte, as a base

Vaughn + Crochet + Madrigal for Zac Gallen + Ketel Marte, as a base

Etc. 

Not sure any of those could/would happen, but those are multi-year solution types of players coming back (and also going out).

I do think that Madrigal's last 1-1.5 months of play really lifted his trade value.  Unless the hamstring is a potential issue going forward, it's a lot of control over a guy who could be a quality starting 2B with 1 truly elite tool.

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It's just money.

We could still go after Marte anyway.  And Blackmon is definitely an improvement over what we have been working with.

As far as an "answer," I'm not really sure we are going to find that during this trade deadline.

Maybe there is an outside shot of the Sox doing something with 2 of Carson Kelly/Zac Gallen/Ketel Marte at the expense of Vaughn + Crochet/Cease, plus maybe Mardgial, Collins, etc.  There are a couple of potential deals you could throw out there that might make it worth trading Vaughn + Crochet.  But I don't think we will really get a solution unless we put those guys out there.  Especially since Y2Jimmy said he thinks even Haniger would cost Crochet.

If we are trying to improve the team now, and only spend money, and not forfeit much in the way of prospects, Blackmon should be on the board for sure.

Why couldn't the Sox just go after Escobar and Starling Marte since they are free agents ? Yes it will cost prospects but combined salary would be right around $10M for the rest of 2021.

Looking at Blackmon's contract would cost the Sox around $45M from the TDL  through 2023 in his age 35 , 36 and 37 seasons. He turns 35 July 1st. Plus you are losing 2 of your best starting pitchers after this year and that money could be used to find more pitching. I think I can safely safe the Sox would not pursue Blackmon.

The Sox won't do anything extravagant. They will walk the fine line between saving money and deciding which prospects are worth giving up. Even with the supposed go ahead from Reinsdorf  I'm sure he would prefer cost effective moves over committing more money to future years.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why couldn't the Sox just go after Escobar and Starling Marte since they are free agents ? Yes it will cost prospects but combined salary would be right around $10M for the rest of 2021.

Looking at Blackmon's contract would cost the Sox around $45M from the TDL  through 2023 in his age 35 , 36 and 37 seasons. He turns 35 July 1st. Plus you are losing 2 of your best starting pitchers after this year and that money could be used to find more pitching. I think I can safely safe the Sox would not pursue Blackmon.

The Sox won't do anything extravagant. They will walk the fine line between saving money and deciding which prospects are worth giving up. Even with the supposed go ahead from Reinsdorf  I'm sure he would prefer cost effective moves over committing more money to future years.

I think if it is a Blackmon deal we would be getting some money back in that.  Also, in my proposal, we are sending out Eaton's 2021 + Eaton's buyout + Marshall's 2021 salary, so we aren't taking it all back.  But yeah, I think we would definitely be getting some cash back on Blackmon.

Of course, I would really prefer Starling Marte.  But that's a tougher guy to get, obviously.  We will have some competition there for sure.  And I would rather risk some $$$ and get a guy who could help us win this year before 1 or both of Rodon + Lynn depart in FA than just hang our hopes on Marte and come up empty.

Again, IMO a Blackmon deal wouldn't (or shouldn't) necessarily take us out of the running for Marte.  It just gives us more quality veteran depth.  I mean let's just be real here, do we want the likes of Goodwin/Leury/Hamilton hitting in the 2-hole or Blackmon?  That's a total no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think if it is a Blackmon deal we would be getting some money back in that.  Also, in my proposal, we are sending out Eaton's 2021 + Eaton's buyout + Marshall's 2021 salary, so we aren't taking it all back.  But yeah, I think we would definitely be getting some cash back on Blackmon.

Of course, I would really prefer Starling Marte.  But that's a tougher guy to get, obviously.  We will have some competition there for sure.  And I would rather risk some $$$ and get a guy who could help us win this year before 1 or both of Rodon + Lynn depart in FA than just hang our hopes on Marte and come up empty.

Again, IMO a Blackmon deal wouldn't (or shouldn't) necessarily take us out of the running for Marte.  It just gives us more quality veteran depth.  I mean let's just be real here, do we want the likes of Goodwin/Leury/Hamilton hitting in the 2-hole or Blackmon?  That's a total no-brainer.

What would make you think they would take Eaton and Marshall. If they are going to eat some salary surely they would also want a decent prospect not retreads.

Who we rather in the lineup and naming our current bench players forced into action and naming any over the hill player with a big name and a big contract is irrelavant. No brainer or not it's never that simple.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What would make you think they would take Eaton and Marshall. If they are going to eat some salary surely they would also want a decent prospect not retreads.

Quite obviously, the assumption on Blackmon is that the Rockies are not going to get a needle-mover of a prospect no matter how much salary they eat, and their best hope for a quality prospect is probably to eat all of it and end up with a Sheets + McClure kind of return.  And so if that assumption is true, owners always want the salary relief.

I remember getting the laugh emojis thrown at me over the offseason when I said that Arenado would clear waivers.  Well, that was true.  The Rockies ate a shitload of cash just to get back nothing.  Blackmon is also a guy who would clear waivers.  The Rockies probably just want the most salary relief possible, so that's why they would do that deal.

Eaton at least fills a hole and is a possible flip candidate.  Or you can cut him and pay the contract, who cares?  The money is spent either way.  And they definitely would try to flip Marshall the same way we did with Clippard when we got him from the Yankees.  Maybe they could get a bit of money back on him.  Even if not, he helps fill a hole and eats some innings.  It's not like the Rockies have a bunch of world-beater prospects to throw out there.

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic