Jake Burger 4 DH!

DanofDuPage

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Milb.com should be your friend. 

I know all about Rutherford stinking. I still would like to see him bat in the bigs. He's old enough and Sox have played a lot of stiffs this season. He can't be any worse than some.

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Send him the hell down to AAA so the team can get that extra year back

No, that would be "punting his development," or something. He's gotta drag the team down with him, in order to develop. And his long track record of success in 75 career MiLB games shows that he's got nothing to learn whatsoever in AA or AAA.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 3

On 6/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

He needs to be brought up. If 3rd base is his natural best position, then why cant Jake play third and move Moncada to 2B? Let's not forget 2B is Moncada's first and original position before being converted to 3B. 

Well it’s better to play Burger at third  than Mendick at second if Moncada would take one for the team and move over to second during the emergency. Apparently this is too much to ask?  Aquiring Escobar would be plan A, but even that means possibly losing a future asset. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Burger vs RHP: .267/.306/.436 .741 OPS

Burger vs LHP: .373/.418/.863 1.281 OPS

I'd be fine with calling Burger up, there's probably a role for him on this team right now. But I don't see any reason to think he'd help at all vs RHP and I'd wonder if throwing him into the deep end would stunt his development.

In the 3 games since this post, Burger has elevated his splits against righties:

vs. RHP: .296/.344/.478/.822

vs. LHP: .365/.411/.846/.1.257

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, The Kids Can Play said:

He needs to be brought up. If 3rd base is his natural best position, then why cant Jake play third and move Moncada to 2B? Let's not forget 2B is Moncada's first and original position before being converted to 3B. 

Don't love this but it may be the only way you get him up and contributing daily, outside of sending Mercedes down.  See how he does at the plate and, if he's good enough to stick, try him out in RF once Luis is back or even earlier as a platoon partner with Sheets/Eaton.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Guys - the Sox aren't moving Moncada off 3B for Jake Burger.  Stop talking about it. 

I think Burger is more likely to be used as trade bait than to be called up before the deadline

I agree with ChiSox59 here, zero chance Moncada is pushed off 3B in favor of Burger

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think Burger is more likely to be used as trade bait than to be called up before the deadline

I agree with ChiSox59 here, zero chance Moncada is pushed off 3B in favor of Burger

Burger just got named to the ASG Futures games.  Not that that means much, but people are taking notice. I am not moving Moncada off 3B for him, and there are definitely trades I'd move Burger in.  But I sure as shit am not moving him at this point for a guy like Escobar or some other stop gap measure.  As part of a deal for a legit releiver with control?  A Trevor Story type stop gap?  A guy we can plug into RF next yeaar without hesitiation?  Sure. 

But there are also plenty of at bats to go around on the mlb club right now.  Yermin is likely dead so Burger can DH, he can cover 3B when Yoan stubs his toe leaving the club, and can maybe even cover 2B a time or two a week.  While he hasn't done it in AAA, I bet Burger could grab an OF glove and be every bit as serviceable as Sheets looked last night.  I'd get him up here.  

• Like 2

Burger's trade value is rising FAST. The guy was a legit prospect before his injuries. He has come back after 2 years off and is absolutely raking. It's like he didn't miss a beat. This guy has a major league bat and can play 3rd base. I feel like he has cemented himself as a top 100 prospect again. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The question is where does he play? Without naming the whole starting lineup, you Madrigal at 2B, Moncada at 3B, Vaughn will either take over 1B/DH eventually for Abreu, Jimenez at LF/Possible DH, and Robert at CF. That leaves RF open but you also have Cespedes and Colas possibly coming in as well so that pretty much blocks mostly all the positions. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The question is where does he play? Madrigal is our 2B, Moncada is our 3B, Vaughn will either take over 1B/DH, Jimenez is our LF/Possible DH, and Robert is our CF. That leaves RF open but you also have Cespedes and Colas possibly coming in as well so that pretty much blocks mostly all the positions. 

If this year has shown us anything, it’s that these things sort themselves out. 

• Like 2