The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

47 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, it seems we're all in agreement:

That it was obvious to everyone that those three should have been sent down last year,

That it could be beneficial to send those three down this year, but

It probably won't happen.

I continue to disagree. 

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

You would think a free agent signing falls under the CBA when the signing occurs, not when the player becomes a free agent…. But I’m sure more specifics of those types of situations will be ironed out and will become known. 

Yeah to be clear I think a conforto, etc if signed would not cost the new team a draft pick. More trying to understand if the teams that signed 'protected' free agents prior to december first did so knowing they could get a "get out of jail free card".

I feel like teams that offer the QO and didn't re-sign should still get the draft comp, it just shouldn't be removed from another team.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

A 12 team format was already agreed upon.

This was a statement of what the TV contract offers, not what has been agreed upon.  This deal was signed long before these negotiations and offered different If/Then scenarios of expansion.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was a statement of what the TV contract offers, not what has been agreed upon.  This deal was signed long before these negotiations and offered different If/Then scenarios of expansion.

Ah got it. Thank you!

Edited by maloney.adam

12 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Care to expand?

I don't think it mattered if they pitched in the minors or majors last year. Both were on a strict innings limit due to previous lack of innings. Especially Crochet, he had pitched so few innings he would have been on a reliever innings limit in either situation. Neither could be "stretched out" too much.

This was in response to "everyone agrees they should have been in the minors." Either situation would have worked with pros and cons to both.

Edited by ptatc

The CBT is kind of odd to me in that those that benefit are not those that we are looking at to benefit.  If the CBT increases I feel the top 10 percent of salaries will increase but without a floor there is no need for the middle income vets to be signed. 

I hope it ends today but does it change anything?  

Additional resources will continue to go to the small fish, the big fish pay the stars and the White Sox will still be looking for the other 50 cent..and not the one hanging upside down.

Everyone seems ok with the status quo....well maybe a draft lottery but why no international draft? 

Am I missing something? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think it mattered if they pitched in the minors or majors last year. Both were on a strict innings limit due to previous lack of innings. Especially Crochet, he had pitched so few innings he would have been on a reliever innings limit in either situation. Neither could be "stretched out" too much.

This was in response to "everyone agrees they should have been in the minors." Either situation would have worked with pros and cons to both.

Crochet could experiment more with a changeup or other pitches in the minors getting 3 innings a game instead of getting 1 inning every other day in the MLB where you have to win.

20 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The CBT is kind of odd to me in that those that benefit are not those that we are looking at to benefit.  If the CBT increases I feel the top 10 percent of salaries will increase but without a floor there is no need for the middle income vets to be signed. 

Additional resources will continue to go to the small fish, the big fish pay the stars and the White Sox will still be looking for the other 50 cent..and not the one hanging upside down.

Everyone seems ok with the status quo....well maybe a draft lottery but why no international draft? 

Am I missing something? 

Most people are pro-MLBPA. Increasing the CBT or decreasing the penalties of surpassing the CBT helps the following groups: 1) highest spending franchises 2) players. It hurts the the cheaper owners as you said. Manfred needs 23 votes from the owners to get anything passed so it seems that the owners trying to keep spending down are outnumbered. This is also a core issue for the MLBPA so if the owners want a deal they have to get closer to the MLBPA's ask.

International draft is on the table btw per Drellich. Owners want it because it would slash costs of scouting, facilities, travel, etc. Players probably don't care in all likelihood as they have never shown concern for future union members but will and should use it as a negotiating chip with the owners to get something in return. 

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Crochet could experiment more with a changeup or other pitches in the minors getting 3 innings a game instead of getting 1 inning every other day in the MLB where you have to win.

Thats the pros of the minors. The pros of MLB is you have a pitcher who can get MLB hitters out and he will learn and develop faster to get MLB hitters out.

If he went 3 innings a game his season would have been over in July with his innings limit. Do you pitch a guy more innings and end his season early or fewer innings and go the length of the season to build endurance?

29 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Am I missing something? 

Personally, I have never understood why MLB doesn't do like the NHL and NBA and put all players into one bucket for the draft.  It would make things soooo much easier.  National or international shouldn't matter.  Set the eligibility requirements for both, and draft away.