Fathoming Bauer not securing a job anywhere?

caulfield12

Bauer is clearly more than a little fucked in the head and into some weird stuff, but if the court of law is not filing charges because they cannot make a case, the guy should be able to play baseball. 

Its not inconceivable that this was all consensual. Its also not inconvincible, in fact quite likely, that Bauer took it way too far. I haven't read about this in months so my memory is a bit foggy on it, but IIRC, the woman in question went out of her way to visit him multiple times.  Why would she do that if it wasn't consensual? 

You don't have to like the guy or his actions, but if there are no charges, he should be able to play a sport.  That being said, certainly expect LAD to what they can to get out from under the contract.  I'd certainly take him in our rotation for pennies on the dollar. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bauer is clearly more than a little fucked in the head and into some weird stuff, but if the court of law is not filing charges because they cannot make a case, the guy should be able to play baseball. 

Its not inconceivable that this was all consensual. Its also not inconvincible, in fact quite likely, that Bauer took it way too far. I haven't read about this in months so my memory is a bit foggy on it, but IIRC, the woman in question went out of her way to visit him multiple times.  Why would she do that if it wasn't consensual? 

You don't have to like the guy or his actions, but if there are no charges, he should be able to play a sport.  That being said, certainly expect LAD to what they can to get out from under the contract.  I'd certainly take him in our rotation for pennies on the dollar. 

I think there is a societal issue concerning women who would prefer not to get beat up. Bad look for beisbol. The commish may have to determine if Trevs has served enough time off. Also likely the young lady is being compensated for her grief.

9 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

And Tawny beat the mess out of Finley when he was driving. Whitesnake has a song called kitten's got claws which is about Tawny's explosive personality.

Didn't she also kick him down the stairs? I remember that standing out to me for some reason. I also remember how many people made fun of Finley for that, which is really sad. They clearly don't understand what domestic abuse is like from a man's perspective.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I predict he will get suspended for at least half of the 2022 season for optics.  But I would still take him if the price is right.  No doubt the Dodgers try to get rid of him.

Some of us would take him for the right price but I doubt Jerry would. Especially if the rumors were true about him not wanting Hinch for ethics. I feel like this stuff is on a completely different level than cheating in a game.

Let's spell this out in a single post.

Bauer while in Ohio starts a relationship with a woman. It lasts a couple of years, but has several incidents. The police are called once when she says he hit her during sex without consent, police report is filed, pictures are taken. The woman gets a citation for underaged drinking out of one of those. A couple years later, that same woman takes out a protective order against Bauer in 2020, using texts/snapchats where he says he'd kill her.

Bauer's attorney says everything was consensual, that the Washington Post went talking to all his exes to find one that would say something bad, that the woman had tried to extort him. However, interestingly enough, this isn't public enough for the Dodgers to find out about it, which is odd for an extortion case. His attorneys imply that the texts/snaps didn't from him, but the order is granted.

Bauer signs with the Dodgers. Has a relationship with a Pasadena woman, eventually she also winds up requesting a protection order. This one goes much more public, he gets suspended, but his lawyers say the same thing and the case/order get tossed out. 

In the meantime, through his online persona, more than once he retweets something some woman said about him so that his hundreds of thousands of followers will go and harass the woman in question. He knows full well that he can get in trouble if he personally threatens to kill someone, but if he puts up a bat signal and a thousand of his followers threaten to rape and murder someone using anonymous twitter accounts, the police say they can't deal with that many threats and the victim should make sure that there is a semen sample left on the body if one of them goes through with it. At least one of these is a minor. While law enforcement hasn't figured out any way to deal with this type of organized harassment, "I can do this because the cops haven't figured out how to prosecute it" is about as terrible of a defense as one can offer.

With all that said, 2 questions to everyone.

First of all, put yourselves in the shoes of a GM. Imagine your team signed him. If there was another incident, this pattern of behavior becomes extremely relevant and an indictment towards you - you're putting yourself fully on the line for him. If Rick Hahn signed him, and next time he carries out one of the threats he sent, Hahn is out of the league for having trusted him. Are you willing to put your career on the line for this guy?

And second, going along with that first question - has Bauer done anything that makes you think he has learned from these incidents and that they're unlikely in the future? I'm a believer in rehabilitation, and that if a person does their time we should give them a fair chance to get back to their lives afterwards. Has Bauer actually been punished? Is his online persona any different? Has he shown anything that suggests he won't get out of control again in his private life? Or has he kept up the same act, all the while having his lawyers aggressively go after these women? Is he a risk to do something substantially worse? If you're a GM, do you have any reason to think this will be the last incident with him?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Let's spell this out in a single post.

Bauer while in Ohio starts a relationship with a woman. It lasts a couple of years, but has several incidents. The police are called once when she says he hit her during sex without consent, police report is filed, pictures are taken. The woman gets a citation for underaged drinking out of one of those. A couple years later, that same woman takes out a protective order against Bauer in 2020, using texts/snapchats where he says he'd kill her.

Bauer's attorney says everything was consensual, that the Washington Post went talking to all his exes to find one that would say something bad, that the woman had tried to extort him. However, interestingly enough, this isn't public enough for the Dodgers to find out about it, which is odd for an extortion case. His attorneys imply that the texts/snaps didn't from him, but the order is granted.

Bauer signs with the Dodgers. Has a relationship with a Pasadena woman, eventually she also winds up requesting a protection order. This one goes much more public, he gets suspended, but his lawyers say the same thing and the case/order get tossed out. 

In the meantime, through his online persona, more than once he retweets something some woman said about him so that his hundreds of thousands of followers will go and harass the woman in question. He knows full well that he can get in trouble if he personally threatens to kill someone, but if he puts up a bat signal and a thousand of his followers threaten to rape and murder someone using anonymous twitter accounts, the police say they can't deal with that many threats and the victim should make sure that there is a semen sample left on the body if one of them goes through with it. At least one of these is a minor. While law enforcement hasn't figured out any way to deal with this type of organized harassment, "I can do this because the cops haven't figured out how to prosecute it" is about as terrible of a defense as one can offer.

With all that said, 2 questions to everyone.

First of all, put yourselves in the shoes of a GM. Imagine your team signed him. If there was another incident, this pattern of behavior becomes extremely relevant and an indictment towards you - you're putting yourself fully on the line for him. If Rick Hahn signed him, and next time he carries out one of the threats he sent, Hahn is out of the league for having trusted him. Are you willing to put your career on the line for this guy?

And second, going along with that first question - has Bauer done anything that makes you think he has learned from these incidents and that they're unlikely in the future? I'm a believer in rehabilitation, and that if a person does their time we should give them a fair chance to get back to their lives afterwards. Has Bauer actually been punished? Is his online persona any different? Has he shown anything that suggests he won't get out of control again in his private life? Or has he kept up the same act, all the while having his lawyers aggressively go after these women? Is he a risk to do something substantially worse? If you're a GM, do you have any reason to think this will be the last incident with him?

I'll hang up and listen.

First Question: Yes, I would take that risk due to the high ceiling of him and the team.  Though I don't believe I would be fired (more heavy and rightfully scrutizied) if it didn't work, due to my years with the team and team I built (me being Hahn). I understand why others wouldn't though.

Second Question: No, I haven't seen or not seen him change.  Though I have no idea if he's been to rehab.  I would hope the suspension last year and my assumed suspension this year with a stern warning he's done if another incident happens would help right his ship.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

How much worse is beating the shit out of a woman who literally asked for it than getting two DUIs?

Let's start with an average guy with neither problem.

Two DUi 100x worse.

Sexual assault to get your rocks off 1000x worse by that the second guy. 

Who are you inviting to your next party?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Let's start with an average guy with neither problem.

Two DUi 100x worse.

Sexual assault to get your rocks off 1000x worse by that the second guy. 

Who are you inviting to your next party?

People are way too outcome-oriented. Once you choose to drive drunk, it's mostly luck whether or not you kill someone, but we give people who don't kill someone a free pass. It was only the first DUI for the guy who killed one of my best friends.

I'm sure as hell not inviting someone with two DUI's to any party that serves alcohol. They go out and kill someone driving home from the party and I'd feel responsible. Wouldn't invite someone known for sexual assault either, but that's really my point. Don't say one can't be in the league but the other can.

7 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

People are way too outcome-oriented. Once you choose to drive drunk, it's mostly luck whether or not you kill someone, but we give people who don't kill someone a free pass. It was only the first DUI for the guy who killed one of my best friends.

I'm sure as hell not inviting someone with two DUI's to any party that serves alcohol. They go out and kill someone driving home from the party and I'd feel responsible. Wouldn't invite someone known for sexual assault either, but that's really my point. Don't say one can't be in the league but the other can.

You do get a bit of a pass if you attempt to murder someone and aren't successful vs. succeeding.  If you have 2 DUIs, either you are the most unlucky person in the world or you have driven when you shouldn't have many times. 

It is hard to believe, but DUI wasn't that big of a deal until the last 20 or 30 years. I know someone who had DUIs on consecutive days in the 80s. He was out in AZ for spring break. He got a plane ride home, his friends drove back in his car.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 2/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, Superstar Lamar said:

The Shades of Gray franchise made over one billion dollars yet its inconceivable that women and men have extreme tastes.

Excuse me sir. You are only allowed to think of Bauer as a scumbag and tell him to fuck off. Any other opinion will not be tolerated even though no one knows as much about the matter as they think they do. You must pretend that you are a saint  with  highly controversial subject matter . There is no other position worthy of discussion. Trevor Bauer is at the very least a huge asshole and at worst a deviant sex fiend women beater who , with his money and power, has some how managed to escape justice.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:56 AM, Richie said:

I would take him yesterday. Dude clearly got rolled by a ballistic chick. Go look at the texts she sent him up until he finally got rid of her. She was obsessed with him. I feel bad for the dude, if anything. 

Seems like he's not guilty of anything beyond being a complete idiot. I suppose that's the best outcome for him, but I'm not sure I would touch someone who at best is stupid enough to get involved with a crazy woman. Plenty of athletes sleep around and don't ever have a problem like this.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think he will play because eventually the Dodgers are going to be forced to pay him and I think he is over $40 million in 2022.

I don't think they would have to pay him. I'm sure their is some language in his contract that he can get released without pay for conduct detrimental or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Spicy gar said:

I don't think they would have to pay him. I'm sure their is some language in his contract that he can get released without pay for conduct detrimental or something like that.

I'm sure that language exists, but nothing so far has reached the point where it could be invoked. The Commissioner does have the right to suspend him for domestic incidents outside of those contracts, that's where he might miss some time.

5 minutes ago, Spicy gar said:

If they could have done that, I don't think he would have been paid last season.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I think he’ll get suspended for the full season.

If he isn't charged with anything, I don't see how they can suspend him. Ozuna got suspended for beating the crap out of his wife, including doing it while the cops were there. His wife ultimately refused to press charges. I think he just got reinstated. Bauer isn't on his level IMO, but he's a bit creepy, and probably crossed a line, but I don't think the league or the  Dodgers have a legal leg to stand on if he isn't charged. It isn't like the accuser backed down.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he isn't charged with anything, I don't see how they can suspend him.

The commissioner has the authority to suspend guys who aren't charged with things - For example, Aroldis Chapman was not charged with anything but did receive a 30 day suspension.

A top level suspension for Bauer is possible. But...if he tried to do something excessive like the full season, with no precedent for that, there's a very good chance an arbitrator would rule that the suspension was unfair. He could absolutely receive a month and MLB could probably win that case.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The commissioner has the authority to suspend guys who aren't charged with things - For example, Aroldis Chapman was not charged with anything but did receive a 30 day suspension.

A top level suspension for Bauer is possible. But...if he tried to do something excessive like the full season, with no precedent for that, there's a very good chance an arbitrator would rule that the suspension was unfair. He could absolutely receive a month and MLB could probably win that case.

But again these guys don't get charged because their accusers don't want to press charges and you do get a story about what happened. If they wanted to press charges, they ulimately would at least be charged. Was Bauer even arrested? His accuser didn't not refuse to press charges. And any suspension would be like Ozunas who was on admin leave like Bauer was last year, and it counted as time served.