Offensively, the Sox are better in RF than either of the last two years

VAfan

8 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Offensively, I would say so. If either of Vaughn/Sheets could play average at best defense in RF, we would be fine. Need a real RF.

I just wish the season would start already. We have what we have and I'm not sure we get anything else.

• Like 1

I just said this on another post, so saying it here. I believe that the Sox will gain so much with the offense from a RF of Vaughn/ Sheet/ turning-it-over to Engel during late innings, that they will more than compensate for however bad they might be defensively. I see that platoon having, at least, 30 home runs and batting batting way over Conforto's .255 batting average. 

Score a ton of runs and catch the ones you can get to (however much people will exaggerate the low quality of Sheet's and Vaughn outfield defense). RF isn't shortstop, 3rd base, center field, or catcher. With all the offense the Sox will gain, the defense will be plenty to take care of business. I'll say it again, I totally believe the Sox can win a World Series with a right field of Vaughn/ Sheets/ and Engel. 

What the Sox need is another starting pitcher, a good one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I just said this on another post, so saying it here. I believe that the Sox will gain so much with the offense from a RF of Vaughn/ Sheet/ turning-it-over to Engel during late innings, that they will more than compensate for however bad they might be defensively. I see that platoon having, at least, 30 home runs and batting batting way over Conforto's .255 batting average. 

Score a ton of runs and catch the ones you can get to (however much people will exaggerate the low quality of Sheet's and Vaughn outfield defense). RF isn't shortstop, 3rd base, center field, or catcher. With all the offense the Sox will gain, the defense will be plenty to take care of business. I'll say it again, I totally believe the Sox can win a World Series with a right field of Vaughn/ Sheets/ and Engel. 

Your argument might as well be close my eyes and ignore reality.  Vaughn & Sheets were epically bad in RF last year.  Could they get better?  Possibly, but they will never be good out there.  And to be clear, you expect them to provide a wRC+ over 133?  Because that’s what Conforto put up from 2017 to 2020 when healthy.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Sheets and Vaughn are not right fielders, Vaughn is adequate in left. Leury should never play the OF, please Sox, sign someone to play right field that can field and hit and someone better thsn Harrison for second base, I'd rather see Leury at second. So far, the Sox have not made one trade that has improved the club.

Sheets and Vaughn should be the DH's on a platoon basis. 

GAVIN SHEETS PLAYED RIGHT FIELD UNTIL HE GOT TO WAKE FOREST CHEER FOR ANOTHER TEAM IF YOU DO NOT KNOW FACTS.

Florida won the WS with Bonilla at 3B and Sheffield in RF. Sheffield is the worst fielder of all time by DRS. Not just the worst RF, the worst fielder. 

He robbed a homer in that series. 

So we got that going for us. Which is nice. 

1 hour ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

GAVIN SHEETS PLAYED RIGHT FIELD UNTIL HE GOT TO WAKE FOREST CHEER FOR ANOTHER TEAM IF YOU DO NOT KNOW FACTS.

Good for Gavin.  Playing a position before/during college does not mean they can play it in the majors.  Maybe don't shout in caps lock when you don't know facts yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen nothing to indicate Sheets can play OF at anything other than at a -15 run (so ~ -1.5 wins) or so level over 130 or so games.  Vaughn is a different beast. Vaughn isn't fast but he gets good reads and has a natural OF's ability to judge the ball that is curving away from him. Vaughn can be a league average LF.

We need an everyday RF. It's not Engel and it's not Gavin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your argument might as well be close my eyes and ignore reality.  Vaughn & Sheets were epically bad in RF last year.  Could they get better?  Possibly, but they will never be good out there.  And to be clear, you expect them to provide a wRC+ over 133?  Because that’s what Conforto put up from 2017 to 2020 when healthy.

Not to mention we’re already throwing Eloy out there in left.  If we had a gg lf to go along with Robert then maybe we can try some goofy defensive experiment in right field, maybe.

As far as the op, ya no shit Gavin Sheets and Andrew Vaughn are better offensive players than Adam Eaton and Nomar Mazara.  It’s always good when trying to win the WS to compare your right fielders to 2 of the worst out there.  Perfect sense.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

During that “healthy” three year stretch, Conforto averaged about 29 homer, 80 rbis, and batted about .270. If that comes out to a wRC+ of 133, then yes, I expect the Sheets/ Vaughn RF platoon to easily reach that, easily. I already said I expected at least 30 homers and we’ll over his career BA of .255. 

Of course, Conforto has only hit 23 homers the last two years total. I guess he wasn’t healthy.

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

During that “healthy” three year stretch, Conforto averaged about 29 homer, 80 rbis, and batted about .270. If that comes out to a wRC+ of 133, then yes, I expect the Sheets/ Vaughn RF platoon to easily reach that, easily. I already said I expected at least 30 homers and we’ll over his career BA of .255. 

Of course, Conforto has only hit 23 homers the last two years total. I guess he wasn’t healthy.

Well, 2020 kinda wasn’t a “total year…”

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

The one player they can least afford to lose and still compete for a World Series is Luis Robert.  Anderson is 1A.  You can't take that risk with his health when he's the only true superstar on your roster, and your franchise cornerstone.

We might as well argue the plan is to expect to hit almost perfectly on 3-4 outfield additions like the Braves did last year at midseason.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've seen nothing to indicate Sheets can play OF at anything other than at a -15 run (so ~ -1.5 wins) or so level over 130 or so games.  Vaughn is a different beast. Vaughn isn't fast but he gets good reads and has a natural OF's ability to judge the ball that is curving away from him. Vaughn can be a league average LF.

We need an everyday RF. It's not Engel and it's not Gavin.

I have to think the org sees Vaughn as the one who can adequately handle himself out there. I don't see why Gavin factors into RF speculation. IIt's not like he has nowhere else to go. If he hits he has either DH or 1B available pretty much every day. If last year wasn't a matchups-based illusion, he should get 550 PAs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KBX said:

I have to think the org sees Vaughn as the one who can adequately handle himself out there. I don't see why Gavin factors into RF speculation. IIt's not like he has nowhere else to go. If he hits he has either DH or 1B available pretty much every day. If last year wasn't a matchups-based illusion, he should get 550 PAs.

I mean if it was OOTP I'd have shipped out Jose and made Gavin the full time DH but it's not so I'd prefer to keep him around in case Jose misses a few months.

8 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I've been a White Sox fan since 1952 and forgotten more about the Sox than you will ever know and at 76 years old I have remarkable memory.

Just a kid.

As the crow flies I probably live within 15 miles of you.  We should meet.

Ah, the annual tradition of VAfan trying to polish a turd on the team and sell it to us as a diamond.  Threads started trying to convince us that X mediocre or bad thing is actually some sort of blessing in disguise or not as bad as we think.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 4