Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

There's no reason why a team like this couldn't have all 3

When Hahn met the media prior to the season and was asked if there's 1 specific player he wanted, he grinned and said "yes." In your opinion, who was he referring to?

Joe Kelly because Tony LaRussa told him it was happening and he has to listen to LaRussa under all circumstances because LaRussa outranks him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they signed Conforto instead of Graveman/Kelly we'd all be bitching about the bullpen. 

And just to be fair, I fully agree that the bullpen needed to be addressed and I actually like both RP moves in isolation.  But if those are the only moves we make then it’s a complete failure on Hahn’s part.

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's Soxtalk that has this idea the Sox want Conforto; honestly, they've never leaked any interest. Machado was frustrating because they were talking about being all-in with him. With Conforto they've been trying to tell you the exact opposite but everyone refuses to listen.

I think I agree.

When RH speaks about generalities, he's usually full of shit. "We want to compete for multiple championships," or "we want left-handed power."

But when he speaks about having an interest in a specific top-end player, he's usually honest in the interest. (THINK: Wheeler or Machado; i don't recall any specific comments about Harper.) He just can't ever seem to get it done.

WRT Conforto, we've allowed ourselves to expand the comment about wanting LH power to be applied specifically to him. And now, we're relying on "a smirk," or a comment that he's "been in contact with an agent" to convince ourselves that they're specifically interested in Conforto. 

I also think that any supposed interest being tweeted by "insiders" is mere Boras Corp propaganda, meant to inflate prices on their players. I dont actually think Levine has anything on this, for example.

I think our team is done for the offseason. Or, at least I've made peace with this as a probable outcome.

50 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Do we really believe there is any hope for signing Conforto? Seems the FO is content with Vaughn/Sheets/Garcia/Engel manning RF this year.

I believe there is hope yes. Hahn said at the outset of the offseason that making the lineup more balanced was a main priority. They haven’t done that. 

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's Soxtalk that has this idea the Sox want Conforto; honestly, they've never leaked any interest. Machado was frustrating because they were talking about being all-in with him. With Conforto they've been trying to tell you the exact opposite but everyone refuses to listen.

When have they told us the opposite?  When they told us they wanted to add power, add better left-handed balance, and improve the defense?  Show me how they’ve addressed those needs so far this offseason.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I believe there is hope yes. Hahn said at the outset of the offseason that making the lineup more balanced was a main priority. They haven’t done that. 

We made Sheets a full time DH. There’s your balance?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

We made Sheets a full time DH. There’s your balance?

Sheets was on the roster when he said that. Look, is it possible the Sox don’t sign Conforto? Of course. But there is hope until he signs elsewhere. That’s all I’m saying. Don’t have hope if you don’t want it.

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

Billy Hamilton could go back to hitting left handed again.

He’s not on the roster yet, but they still absolutely need an OF on a minor league contract at some point. If they have 2 OF injuries, their only roster depth in the OF is Adolfo (lost on opening day) and Rutherford. At least if they have 2 IF injuries they have Mendick.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm not even worrying about Conforto or any other bat at this point. Package Crochet with Burger or Sheets and go get Manaea, unload Kimbrel paying as little as possible, and address RF and/or 2B at the trade deadline.

Sheets is your primary DH now...would they be crazy enough to make Burger or Collins that?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He made that dumb grin over a possible trade for a rental pitcher with the A’s?  I don’t buy it, he was definitely hinting at something more impactful IMO.

Could have easily been Harrison or Kelly, who knows.  I’m of the belief now it’s Sheets at DH, Vaughn in RF and Engel/Garcia backing Vaughn up in RF.  Any further additions are a SP and/or catcher IMO

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm not even worrying about Conforto or any other bat at this point. Package Crochet with Burger or Sheets and go get Manaea, unload Kimbrel paying as little as possible, and address RF and/or 2B at the trade deadline.

Crochet with Burger or Sheets for one year of Manaea would be a disgusting overpay.  And why does it make more sense to address our known needs at the trade deadline than right now?

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

No.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

6 playoff spots and this roster? Fangraphs estimated over 80% chances and that’s fair even when the Twins add pitching.

They don't deserve it. The northsiders shelled out nearly 100m to Suzuki this offseason. To quote Blago, that's some real "testicular fortitude" shown by the Cubs with that ballsy signing. You wish the Sox could do something like that. All the Sox did was sign some relievers and crappy utility players. 

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I kind of hope they don't to spite Rick Hahn and Jerry

If it's Twins @ White Sox in the final series of the year, with the division title on the line, absolutely no one here is going to be cheering for the Twins

come on now, lol. And I'm as frustrated with Hahn/Reinsdorf as anyone.

• Quin locked this topic