Michael Conforto: His POV and the Wait

SouthSideGeorgia

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No idea 

They had an article last week about Sheets commitment to RF and another fluff article yesterday about Vaughn being more prepared for the outfield...either they are trying to mask their interest thru silly water carrying articles, or they really are clueless and willing to put horrible defense out in RF 75% of the time. 

33 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Article says 4 days ago so after it seems (Story agreement was Sunday right?). Jackie Bradley Jr should block no one.

Edit: they have also done the Scott Boras client 1-year pillow deal in the past (Adrian Beltre) so maybe this would be an option in Boston.

Bob: This story came out 4 day ago so 1 day after Story announcement. But I would think the story was probably written 1-2 days before it posted so the guy sent it out anyway.  Writer did not mention Story just signed. The writer says the loss of Renfroe is a major hit to Boston's offense but Story changes that.  But maybe Boston wants both but I think they don't.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

They had an article last week about Sheets commitment to RF and another fluff article yesterday about Vaughn being more prepared for the outfield...either they are trying to mask their interest thru silly water carrying articles, or they really are clueless and willing to put horrible defense out in RF 75% of the time. 

I'm going to bet clueless.

Someone had a brilliant idea on MLBtraderumors - 

What if the Mets signed him to like, 1 year $20M and traded him to, let’s say, the White Sox for Craig Kimbrel and the salary difference. White Sox could avoid losing the draft pick and net addition to the payroll would be like $4M plus an everyday bat for the lineup. Mets would get a relief pitcher they desperately need and don’t have many options on the market.
Obviously have to clear it with Conforto’s camp and he’d have to be cool with it, but could be interesting idea if it’s allowed.

Cohen is just the type of madman to do this and Conforto could wave the no trade rights because he gets paid more than the the QO he said no to. It's shady as hell and requires some balls, but man that would be BEST case scenario for all parties. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Cohen is just the type of madman to do this and Conforto could wave the no trade rights because he gets paid more than the the QO he said no to. It's shady as hell and requires some balls, but man that would be BEST case scenario for all parties. 

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Or you have to wait a certain amount of time to make a trade.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Or you have to wait a certain amount of time to make a trade.

I believe this is accurate, but maybe so long as you aren't signing the QO it is possible.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

At this point I think the likeliest scenario is that he’s a Kimbrel/Keuchel style holdout, where he sits out until the QO expires unless a contender has an injury and comes calling. That timeline puts him right before the trade deadline as an option costing no prospects.

We are what, 11 or 12 days from opening day? How many teams are willing to dramatically change up their lineup right now, if they even have money left to spend?

That would be just another in a long series of Conforto decisions ruining his value. But I suppose at this point he might as well go full force into the prideful " I have too much confidence in my abilities to settle on what I'm being offered " mode.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That would be just another in a long series of Conforto decisions ruining his value. But I suppose at this point he might as well go full force into the prideful " I have too much confidence in my abilities to settle on what I'm being offered " mode.

If I am a GM on a contending team in the middle of July and need a RF,  I would much prefer a guy who has been playing than a guy who has been waiting.

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

I believe this is accurate, but maybe so long as you aren't signing the QO it is possible.

I think because he declined the QO, it's possible. If Conforto signs with the Mets, it would have to be a regular 1 year deal. 

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If I am a GM on a contending team in the middle of July and need a RF,  I would much prefer a guy who has been playing than a guy who has been waiting.

Me too which is why I think him waiting would be just another in a series of blunders by him. After all who's going to pay him for a full season if he only plays half a season ?

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Me too which is why I think him waiting would be just another in a series of blunders by him. After all who's going to pay him for a full season if he only plays half a season ?

That's not how it works? Any contract is pro-rated by how long he plays for. 

The trick in July is he might get $10 million for 2.5 months - but the team signing him wouldn't have to trade a prospect to do so. 

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

The Mets want the late 2nd rounder for Conforto though. They could get Kimbrel right now if they wanted him for very little in return. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That's not how it works? Any contract is pro-rated by how long he plays for. 

The trick in July is he might get $10 million for 2.5 months - but the team signing him wouldn't have to trade a prospect to do so. 

But getting $15-$18M for 3yrs. might be in his best interest if he can get an opt out after the 2nd year. I'm not sure he gets an opt out after the 1st year with the draft pick attached. If he signs for 2.5 months for $10M then he had better be pretty good in that 2.5 months or WHAM! his value takes another hit.

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Who knows what the current CBA is and I am not sure it is even publicly available to check but I believe the old rule was that free agents that signed MLB deals had what was effectively a no trade clause through either June or July 15th of the following season. I would imagine that is still the case or there is some rule in place to prevent teams from skirting the QO. 

6 hours ago, oldsox said:

I realize that this is a character flaw on my part, but I like the idea of a Boros client going down the drain with no realistic offers from anyone.

I like Boras. Owners make too much money. Players are receiving too little of the revenue. There just aren't enough agents like Boras. 

This is finally a realistic post about Michael Conforto.  It notes his massive flaws -- draft pick compensation, unvaxxed status, and even how late he would be coming to a team right now.  And that's not even getting into his pedestrian offensive numbers from last year. 

He's not in a very good position at the moment to dictate terms.  

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

This is finally a realistic post about Michael Conforto.  It notes his massive flaws -- draft pick compensation, unvaxxed status, and even how late he would be coming to a team right now.  And that's not even getting into his pedestrian offensive numbers from last year. 

He's not in a very good position at the moment to dictate terms.  

Yep. At this point it feels like a one year signing wherever he goes. Just not sure who would want to punt the pick for one year.