Jake Burger is actually pretty interesting

bmags

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Who was the poster chronically getting on him about his weight, being out of shape, not taking enough pride in himself as an athlete, playing video games at home all day and social media posting, etc.?

That was one of the worst threads in SoxTalk history.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

I have a view of corner outfield defense vs offense that I am sure is in the minority here. It seems to me that HRs are of increasing importance to winning.  One 3 run HR in the middle innings and that could decide many games.  HR are also important to momentum within a game for the team and for Home field fans.  I think fans are probably more inclined to go to games to see a team that mashes the baseball than one where an outfielder makes a diving catch.

So..I am fine with Eloy in LF and Vaughn (or Burger) in RF with Sheets at DH, if the Sox get 25 + HR from each corner OF position and 15+ from the DH spot. Outfield errors will cost some games but at the same time 75+ HR are going to going to win  a lot of games and create a lot of excitement for fans.

2000 and 2006 first half Sox ball.

11 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think you're conflating several posters but I was def a hater. I have said many times over the last year that he turned his career around and I'm thrilled. When he posted the picture of himself in England during his rehab he looked out of shape and in a different world mentally. That was the genesis of most my posts on his mental and physical state. People change and athletes especially are made of sterner stuff most of the time than us mere mortals.

Nope, it was one.  But don’t worry, he’ll disappear at the first winning streak.

15 hours ago, tray said:

So..I am fine with Eloy in LF and Vaughn (or Burger) in RF with Sheets at DH, if the Sox get 25 + HR from each corner OF position and 15+ from the DH spot. Outfield errors will cost some games but at the same time 75+ HR are going to going to win  a lot of games and create a lot of excitement for fans.

I would have Eloy DH only. Vaughn in LF and combo of Sheets, Engel and Leury in RF based on matchups. Eloy is a defensive liability and injury risk to himself and others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I would have Eloy DH only. Vaughn in LF and combo of Sheets, Engel and Leury in RF based on matchups. Eloy is a defensive liability and injury risk to himself and others.

Is Eloy really a 'defensive liability'? He may not be a great left fielder, or ever likely to be, but he has only made 2 errors in the last 2 (albeit brief) seasons, so far from a liability. And his fielding percentage for the last 3 seasons of .985 is again not spectacular but is actually league average for left fielders in that same period. Granted his injury last season was stupid for Spring Training but to describe him as a danger to himself and others is an exaggeration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

Is Eloy really a 'defensive liability'? He may not be a great left fielder, or ever likely to be, but he has only made 2 errors in the last 2 (albeit brief) seasons, so far from a liability. And his fielding percentage for the last 3 seasons of .985 is again not spectacular but is actually league average for left fielders in that same period. Granted his injury last season was stupid for Spring Training but to describe him as a danger to himself and others is an exaggeration.

I suppose they could child-proof the protective netting and install padding behind the warning track as an alternative but, until they do, I prefer Vaughn in LF.

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

His defense is poor, but more so he's clumsy enough in the field that he is likely to hurt himself doing something silly that puts him on the shelf for a few weeks to a few months.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Instead of parroting old Steve Stone, go to a few  games, watch the players in front of you,  and form your own opinions.

Eloy is a terrible OF and due to his mindset that he’s a gold glover out there, puts himself in positions where he injures himself. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

His defense is poor, but more so he's clumsy enough in the field that he is likely to hurt himself doing something silly that puts him on the shelf for a few weeks to a few months.

He's not likely...  He has hurt himself in the field, multiple times. That's a fact.

• Haha 1

Several WSox players sustained injuries during the course of the last few seasons - Engel,, Grandal,TA, Abreu,Robert, Moncada and Eloy and Vaughn.

Fear of injury is not going to win games. You put the best players on the field. Eloy is better than Vaughn, by a lot.. So is Abreu. And Sheets hits RH pitchers better than Vaughn. Vaughn has a chance to start in RF because the Sox did not fill that hole via trade or FA. One would think that opportunity  would be enough for Vaughn enthusiasts to stop whining about Eloy, who is arguably one of the most important players on this team. Give it a f-ing break.

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Several WSox players sustained injuries during the course of the last few seasons - Engel,, Grandal,TA, Abreu,Robert, Moncada and Eloy and Vaughn.

Fear of injury is not going to win games. You put the best players on the field. Eloy is better than Vaughn, by a lot.. So is Abreu. And Sheets hits RH pitchers better than Vaughn. Vaughn has a chance to start in RF because the Sox did not fill that hole via trade or FA. One would think that opportunity  would be enough for Vaughn enthusiasts to stop whining about Eloy, who is arguably one of the most important players on this team. Give it a f-ing break.

Barring an unforeseen FA acquisition or trade, both Vaughn and Eloy will be in the everyday lineup. One will be in the OF and one will DH (except in certain handed matchups). Sounds as though you prefer Eloy in the OF (vs. DH). I believe that would be a mistake...not for 'fear of injury' but because Vaughn is a better fielder and, like you said, 'you put the best players on the field'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's not likely...  He has hurt himself in the field, multiple times. That's a fact.

He has hurt himself 3 times while fielding in outfield, twice in 2020 and the long term one in 2021. So he hardly injures himself every game. Yes he is clumsy but he is far from the injury prone goof that people make him out to be.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

He has hurt himself 3 times while fielding in outfield, twice in 2020 and the long term one in 2021. So he hardly injures himself every game. Yes he is clumsy but he is far from the injury prone goof that people make him out to be.

So that’s two out of his three seasons in the MLB…and in 2019 he went on the DL at least twice, once for colliding with an OF and the other for running into the wall. He’s brutal in the OF and it’s been reiterated before he needs to go the Manny Ramirez route and just make plays on balls in front him, he’s no good to anyone if he’s injured, look how shitty he looked last year coming back from an injury. 

3 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

So that’s two out of his three seasons in the MLB…and in 2019 he went on the DL at least twice, once for colliding with an OF and the other for running into the wall. He’s brutal in the OF and it’s been reiterated before he needs to go the Manny Ramirez route and just make plays on balls in front him, he’s no good to anyone if he’s injured, look how shitty he looked last year coming back from an injury. 

Sorry I was wrong in my original post it was 2019 that he was twice injured in collisions while fielding, 2020 it was while celebrating a win! But he did still start 122 games in 2019 and 55 of 60 in 2020, so it was only 2021 that he missed a large part due to injury. I'm not saying he is golden glove material but personally I think finding a RF is a bigger issue at the moment than having  to find an alternative to Eloy in LF. I may of course be wrong, it wouldn't be the first or the last time!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Flash said:

Barring an unforeseen FA acquisition or trade, both Vaughn and Eloy will be in the everyday lineup. One will be in the OF and one will DH (except in certain handed matchups). Sounds as though you prefer Eloy in the OF (vs. DH). I believe that would be a mistake...not for 'fear of injury' but because Vaughn is a better fielder and, like you said, 'you put the best players on the field'

I mean, right now both Eloy & Vaughn will be in the OF.  Those are our starting corner OFs with Sheets the primary DH against RHP.

16 hours ago, tray said:

Instead of parroting old Steve Stone, go to a few  games, watch the players in front of you,  and form your own opinions.

I agree.  The "eye test" gets scorned on Soxtalk but I prefer it to any other method of evaluation.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tray said:

Except Vaughn was far better in LF last season than Eloy ever has been.  And isn’t an injury to himself or others waiting to happen.  But by all means don’t let facts get in the way of your biased ranting and raving.  

On 3/26/2022 at 7:15 AM, Flash said:

While that is a good idea, it will have to wait until next year only if Abreu retires because we have too many DH's on this team as it stands.

If Sheets continues to progress he'll take over at 1st if Jose retires next year instead of Vaughn, and unless there's a trade Vaughn should be in LF over Eloy, with Eloy the DH as you suggested.

I can see Left Field being a Vaughn/Engel platoon, Robert in CF, and If Cespedes is the real deal he'll take over RF