Sell the Team

bmags

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Doesn’t the naming money go to the state?

That I don't know I suspect some of it may but remember JR has so much power and control over the stadium itself and the lease (for example he can veto any activities on the field such as concerts) that this may also be part of the bargain, he gets naming rights money.

This particular source (and again I spoke with six) has close intimate knowledge of this particular area being discussed.

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That I don't know I suspect some of it may but remember JR has so much power and control over the stadium itself and the lease (for example he can veto any activities on the field such as concerts) that this may also be part of the bargain, he gets naming rights money.

This particular source (and again I spoke with six) has close intimate knowledge of this particular area being discussed.

Where they do get money is additional deals with Guaranteed Rate. For instance, GR is the "official" mortgage company of the White Sox. And they sponsor giveaways. Stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Where they do get money is additional deals with Guaranteed Rate. For instance, GR is the "official" mortgage company of the White Sox. And they sponsor giveaways. Stuff like that.

If I heard correctly, the ISA owns the park and thus they control the naming rights correct and the Sox have no say in this correct?

4 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

If I heard correctly, the ISA owns the park and thus they control the naming rights correct and the Sox have no say in this correct?

To my knowledge that's incorrect. JR turned down Wintrust not the ISA. he holds that power based on what seems to have transpired. 

47 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

So say JR or whoever decides to move to another location, be it Arlington Heights, Vegas or wherever does the stadium just sit there and rust away?

It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. But I guess it would depend on where the move goes to. If it's across the country MLB may look to relocated a current team or expand, which is what almost happened to the Sox before Veeck bought them in December 1975.

The plan was for the Sox to move to Seattle ending the lawsuits and then Charlie Finley would move the A's to Chicago where he had always wanted a team.

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. But I guess it would depend on where the move goes to. If it's across the country MLB may look to relocated a current team or expand, which is what almost happened to the Sox before Veeck bought them in December 1975.

The plan was for the Sox to move to Seattle ending the lawsuits and then Charlie Finley would move the A's to Chicago where he had always wanted a team.

Lip how did Arthur and John Allyn make their fortune? Was it mall real estate? I think thats how DeBartolos did correct?

27 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Lip how did Arthur and John Allyn make their fortune? Was it mall real estate? I think thats how DeBartolos did correct?

DeBartolo invented the modern shopping mall in Boardman, Ohio.

The Allyn's were businessmen with diversified interests. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From a source in my look at the State of the Sox (one of six sources by the way):

“Wintrust offered a much better deal than Guaranteed Rate but part of what Wintrust wanted is the name had to be changed back to Comiskey Park and JR didn’t like that at all. He also wasn’t told some of the details in the agreement that may have made a difference had he knew.”

I just don’t understand why he would turn down a better deal financially.

Such an excellent article. I agree with everything the guy wrote. I've never been so apathetic about the Sox. As u know I see them going nowhere and it's just disgusting to see that new seating plan.

I can honestly say I would love for Jerry to sell the team and the new owner build a new suburban ballpark to a abandon the city like the Bears are doing. I'm getting very close to saying, "Let them move to Vegas."

Why do I feel this way? That author of the piece captured my feelings well. The Sox finally have broken me even though I got the WS title in 2005. Hard to belive the goodwill from 05 is lapsed in my mind. Sox have done too many disgusting things for me to love them as I did in the past.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

I just don’t understand why he would turn down a better deal financially.

Here's what I was told, I know the name(s) of the person/people involved but I'm not at liberty to specifically say who they are so I'll speak in general terms.

There were some "connections" between some members of the White Sox and people working for Guaranteed Rate, those involved didn''t disclose those connections to JR and tried to play up Guaranteed Rate as much as possible. 

" It’s the sure and certain knowledge that not only does the team not care about us like we care about the team  if you think differently, you are a dew-eyed romantic...We see the team as a way to transform our hopes, our emotional investment, our literal financial investment,"

Your perceived financial investment consists of a couple of Polish and a dozen beers or so a year.  Transform your hopes?  Please. life is so much more than watching a few baseball games each year.   If you are indeed older, you would understand that.

"Ah, but they know how we conceive the team. It’s where we’ve made friends, where we’ve gone with our families more times than we can count, where on occasion we stand as one with a rising yell in our throats as a ball traces an arc in the night sky, ready to high-five strangers and jump like lunatics. It’s fun. It’s what we care about. It’s part of who we are."

Oh come on.

"So I don’t know where this anger is going to go. It’s very possible that it starts another cycle of lower attendance, Jerry using that to slash payroll, and so on, on and on, our endless Kali yuga, hoping to stumble into something lucky, waiting for it to all end. "

OK, you are angry so just say you will no longer attend because the WSox are "slashing payroll" like extending Luis Robert, Eloy Jiminez, signing FA Liam Hendriks , Grandal, and more recently Bennintendi for 75 Million dollars and assembling one of the best rotations and bullpens in the league. Like maintaining the financial strength of the franchise to make sure that they stay on the South side for the next generations of Sox fans. It's not all about you. Grow the F up and quit whining. 

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 2

25 minutes ago, tray said:

" It’s the sure and certain knowledge that not only does the team not care about us like we care about the team  if you think differently, you are a dew-eyed romantic...We see the team as a way to transform our hopes, our emotional investment, our literal financial investment,"

Your perceived financial investment consists of a couple of Polish and a dozen beers or so a year.  Transform your hopes?  Please. life is so much more than watching a few baseball games each year.   If you are indeed older, you would understand that.

"Ah, but they know how we conceive the team. It’s where we’ve made friends, where we’ve gone with our families more times than we can count, where on occasion we stand as one with a rising yell in our throats as a ball traces an arc in the night sky, ready to high-five strangers and jump like lunatics. It’s fun. It’s what we care about. It’s part of who we are."

Oh come on.

"So I don’t know where this anger is going to go. It’s very possible that it starts another cycle of lower attendance, Jerry using that to slash payroll, and so on, on and on, our endless Kali yuga, hoping to stumble into something lucky, waiting for it to all end. "

OK, you are angry so just say you will no longer attend because the WSox are "slashing payroll" like extending Luis Robert, Eloy Jiminez, signing FA Liam Hendriks , Grandal, and more recently Bennintendi for 75 Million dollars and assembling one of the best rotations and bullpens in the league. Like maintaining the financial strength of the franchise to make sure that they stay on the South side for the next generations of Sox fans. It's not all about you. Grow the F up and quit whining. 

Yes, Jerry and Co has been thinking of us the fan base the whole time he was spending less and keeping those profits.  This is absolutely laugh reacts only type of stuff right here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Oh come on.

Jerry you son of a b**** I knew it was you! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tray said:

Oh come on.

Woo! Go Jerry Reinsdorf’s wallet!

1 hour ago, tray said:

Oh come on.

Seriously, just sell the fucking team already Jerry.  Everyone hates you, and you will never, and I stress NEVER, win the management vs labor battle.  Enough already.  Time to cash out, release this team from your miserly penny-pinching clutches, and let the franchise move into the 21st century.  For fucks sake.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

ABCDEDB4-84BD-484F-8737-96E94860C023.jpeg

Yep, the article nailed it including highlighting four prices within many sections, looking to squeeze every last penny from fans already disgusted with a decade of Hahn and four with Jerry. Charging extra next season for the LF corner Upper Deck seats (555-558).

Reinsdorf holds Oakland A’s like contempt for fans. I’m waiting for death and new ownership before considering spending a penny on White Sox baseball, will return to season tickets when a non Reinsdorf owns and operates this team. 

This team doesn’t deserve 5,000 fans.

Balta: You asked the question about the future with the stadium lease expiring in seven years...I asked a source, one of those individuals that I spoke with for my "State of the Sox" story.

This was their reply:

"Good question. I have never been in a meeting when this issue came up. Probably due to the fact that Jerry will no longer own the club by then and it will be left up to new ownership to deal with." 

39 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Balta: You asked the question about the future with the stadium lease expiring in seven years...I asked a source, one of those individuals that I spoke with for my "State of the Sox" story.

This was their reply:

"Good question. I have never been in a meeting when this issue came up. Probably due to the fact that Jerry will no longer own the club by then and it will be left up to new ownership to deal with." 

They will want a new park. The last 3 years of the lease, the state doesn’t have to upgrade. We will start hearing about this in the next couple of years. I’m sure the Sox were/are counting on being really good when they have to start holding their hats out for subsidies. It is going to be interesting watching it play out. No way they get a state of the art new stadium built totally on the taxpayer dime.  

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

ABCDEDB4-84BD-484F-8737-96E94860C023.jpeg

Yep, the article nailed it including highlighting four prices within many sections, looking to squeeze every last penny from fans already disgusted with a decade of Hahn and four with Jerry. Charging extra next season for the LF corner Upper Deck seats (555-558).

Reinsdorf holds Oakland A’s like contempt for fans. I’m waiting for death and new ownership before considering spending a penny on White Sox baseball, will return to season tickets when a non Reinsdorf owns and operates this team. 

This team doesn’t deserve 5,000 fans.

You said you went to one or two games a year. That isn't season tickets. Get your story straight.

If you want to make a point why wait? Are you with us or against us (the 2023 White Sox) ?  Or is this just more idle posturing by another internet keyboard warrior like O'Neill.?