Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, black jack said:

Everyone saying he’s going to get a bump because he’s in the Cell now must’ve forgotten that was said about everyone the last 15 years.

Not all of those guys played in Kansas City. That park + the humidor + dead ball meant nobody was hitting homers last year. 

Just now, black jack said:

Better than nothing. 

Barely 

30 teams in the league. 

2nd best available left handed OF free agent.  3rd best OF FA.  8th best offensive FA.  2nd youngest FA.  

Not sure you have any idea what "nothing" is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's half schtick and half legit PTSD. 

When was the last time the Sox signed someone that didn't completely suck or get injured at some point during their contract? 

Grandal was great for his first 2 seasons, but fell off a cliff in his 3rd. 

Murphy's law rules the White Sox. 

But u can't have it both ways dude. By that logic the Sox should never sign anyone because they will suck and if they then don't sign anyone, people will complain that they didn't sign anyone even tho those same people are saying if they paid for someone it would be a waste. 

You can't have it both ways, dude.

We have a 2.5-3 WAR LH savage player that will also allow Eloy to prolly play 120+ games and likely hit 30+ HRs again without losing multiple outs in the field.

All for 15m. Even Eeyore wouldn't complain too much about this deal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

I don’t get all the hate. f*** of ya’ll Debbie Downers. Go start a pity party thread and keep bitching there.

Solid move.

Jack would have hated us signing Aaron Judge if Jerry actually decided to shell out the money. 

I feel like there's no pleasing some people. On here, on Reddit, on Twitter, all I saw was that the Sox weren't gonna sign anyone significant. There was a post on the baseball subreddit  about the White Sox doing absolutely nothing like 2 days ago. The White Sox subreddit was full of people shitting on the team for not doing anything. Now they actually spend some money on a fairly reasonable deal to acquire someone who can help with the team's deficiencies and all of a sudden it's too much money or the player isn't good enough. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I still don’t believe in the team at all, but if you did this is the second best fit move they could have made this offseason.

Nimmo was obviously the best move they could have made, but that deal was also twice the value of this one. Jerry ain't paying that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalapse said:

it's fine. he's fine, the guarantee is fine. it's just fine.

This is accurate, logical. It's a meh move. 

also chicken little because they went floor instead of ceiling. 

I'd have rather gone for someone with more upside. 

These are my true thoughts, PTSD aside. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I don’t get all the hate. f*** of ya’ll Debbie Downers. Go start a pity party thread and keep bitching there.

Solid move.

It looks like a "solid move". In the little pond the White Sox fish in. I'm not speaking for anybody, but I feel like the team needed a big lift this offseason. Didn't get one, didn't expect one. Unless losing Tony was that move, but it's not that simple. Anyway, that's one way. The big splash. The other way is what Pedro has to do, is build a baseball monster  with baby steps here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The signing isn’t bad. Just leaves me with a meh wanting more feeling that’s all. He’s a good complimentary piece that’s embarrassingly the highest paid player in franchise history which is no fault of his own. Hopefully he starts a series of moves that improves the ball club, but this still is a very underwhelming offseason so far

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

The signing isn’t bad. Just leaves me with a meh wanting more feeling that’s all. He’s a good complimentary piece that’s embarrassingly the highest paid player in franchise history which is no fault of his own. Hopefully he starts a series of moves that improves the ball club, but this still is a very underwhelming offseason so far

This. 

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Benny and Clevenger is a good start… and canning the drunken sleepy old man also is nice.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Nimmo's the better player, but Benintendi has a better chance of being useful by the end of this contract. I can't imagine a 37 year old Nimmo being useful. 

Nimmo has a better chance of being dynamic this year and also can play a legit CF, which the White Sox do need whether we like it or not. Nimmo has a career OBP 30 points higher. But on the White Sox budget, this is decent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Jack would have hated us signing Aaron Judge if Jerry actually decided to shell out the money. 

I feel like there's no pleasing some people. On here, on Reddit, on Twitter, all I saw was that the Sox weren't gonna sign anyone significant. There was a post on the baseball subreddit yesterday about the White Sox doing absolutely nothing like 2 days ago. The White Sox subreddit was full of people shitting on the team for not doing anything. Now they actually spend some money on a fairly reasonable deal to acquire someone who can help with the team's deficiencies and all of a sudden it's too much money or the player isn't good enough. 

If they signed Bryce Harper in 2019 that would have been a legit good move. 

• Like 2