Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not sure the Sox could have planned any worse of a route since the off-season of 2019 if they sat down and knew what the result of each action would before making plan.  It is surreal.

Yah.  Its pretty hard to wrap one's head around. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He will get that money *unless he is suspended without pay*. If a suspension comes, that will cost him.

Unless they determine the accuser made everything up, he’s going to be suspended, and probably for a long time. He’s an idiot, and if he pitches for the White Sox, I hope they lose every game he starts and no one shows up at his home starts. Marcel Osuna played for the Braves after beating his wife in front of the cops.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Its pretty hard to wrap one's head around. 

Karma is a b****, baseball gods are saying "it's time" (remember that slogan?) for new ownership.

Just heard from a member of the mainstream Chicago media to get their thoughts, this was the reply:

"The best sports organizations do their own background checks and don’t need to rely on the commissioner’s office. 

I knew about the baggage when they signed Clevinger, but I thought it was related to something else indirectly tied to his former Cleveland teammate.

Rick Hahn should be called on the carpet for this. Who does background checks for this organization, Barney Fife?"
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Karma is a b****, baseball gods are saying "it's time" (remember that slogan?) for new ownership.

Just heard from a member of the mainstream Chicago media to get their thoughts, this was the reply:

"The best sports organizations do their own background checks and don’t need to rely on the commissioner’s office. 

I knew about the baggage when they signed Clevinger, but I thought it was related to something else indirectly tied to his former Cleveland teammate.

Rick Hahn should be called on the carpet for this. Who does background checks for this organization, Barney Fife?"

Who's to say that stuff  isn't out there too.  Everyone in and around the game knew this guy is a total pile of crap.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

In this case I don’t see how. Was he supposed to remain a virgin until marriage? I guess I still fail to see any relevance. News flash but young people tend to like to f***

He's not married, but has dated the mother of 2 of his children born in 2016, 2017 since 2014, and had a third child in 2020 with the woman he's now being accused of abusing.

So he's in a relationship with a woman who he had 2 children with a long time, in the meantime he's messing around with Bauer's friend, this woman he is suspected of abusing today and who knows how many more.  I guess the kid's are proud their Dad likes to f***.  

Edited by A-Train to 35th
cor-x
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

He's not married, but has dated the mother of his 3 children born 2016, 2017, and 2020 for a long time.

So he's in a relationship with a woman who he had 3 children with a long time, in the meantime he's messing around with Bauer's friend, this woman he is suspected of abusing today and who knows how many more.  I guess the kid's are proud their Dad likes to f***.  

You wouldn’t believe the stories that are out there about baseball players and infidelity.  

• Like 1

We all know how complicated this situation is, but the incompetence still reeks. It has been going on for decades. Idiotic trades, dumb managerial hires, and just plain ineptness. 

Of course, Rick Hahn should be fired for this. Then again, he should have been fired a long time ago. So, don't expect any action to be taken now.

But we are supposed to believe the Rebuild is working and all the Sox need is for certain players to bounce back and 2023 will be just fine. But the FO talks only about winning a division. A World Series doesn't seem to be in the plans.

This has been tiresome for over 40 years. It is a minor miracle this team has won anything, not that they have won that much. The franchise needs an experienced baseball man to come in and turn things around. But that won't happen because Jerry Reinsdorf knows more than anyone else.  Now they have another public relations black eye because of some creep. They will never learn no matter what happens. I'm waiting for the next scandal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

You wouldn’t believe the stories that are out there about baseball players and infidelity.  

I know, I'm just saying there's more about his character that comes into question than fooling around.  Why did Tito get rid of him after breaking MLB's COVID rules, seems kinda harsh.  I believe Cleveland knew the real Mike Clevinger otherwise they wouldn't have gotten rid of him for breaking that rule.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Daryl Boston can share a few stories no doubt, speaking of, as long as the Sox continue to employ him, maybe it's JR's character that should be questioned.  After all he employed a two time DUI offender and a coach suspected of participating in rape with a group of players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty clear when you trade away six players to acquire a guy and then want absolutely nothing to do with him despite having a couple of rotation openings (and Snell/Darvish not for much longer) that the relationship there had seriously soured.

Preller would pretty much sell his soul to win and walked away instead of doubling down on a bad move and making it even worse like some team I'm quite familiar with now by age 53.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

Daryl Boston can share a few stories no doubt, speaking of, as long as the Sox continue to employ him, maybe it's JR's character that should be questioned.  After all he employed a two time DUI offender and a coach suspected of participating in rape with a group of players.

Boston released Wil Cordero as fast as they could in 1997 after he pleaded guilty to domestic violence. The White Sox signed him the next spring.  What a great move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

He's not married, but has dated the mother of 2 of his children born in 2016, 2017 since 2014, and had a third child in 2020 with the woman he's now being accused of abusing.

So he's in a relationship with a woman who he had 2 children with a long time, in the meantime he's messing around with Bauer's friend, this woman he is suspected of abusing today and who knows how many more.  I guess the kid's are proud their Dad likes to f***.  

Well I still don’t see the relevance. I can’t imagine going into a company and an employer telling me I’ve been having sex with too many people so they’re not going to offer me a contract

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

AJ Preller is also the GM that kept two sets of injury records and used them to screw over other teams.  I am not sure what obligation teams have to report these types of things, but I can definitely see how Preller would keep this to himself either way and use it to screw over other teams.  He quite literally has a history of doing exactly these kinds of things.

What relevance would having two sets of injury records have, and can you share a source?  Regardless if he did or didn't have two set's, any team trading for a player includes a clause pending passing teams physical.  Let me bring you up to speed on Carlos Correa not passing physical's with the Giant's and Met's who voided both deals by doing their homework.

sp

Also, a certain GM pulled a Hahn thinking he could take advantage of an Indians organization and manager desperate to dump one of its own players (see Big Game James).

Didn't exactly work out as planned in either scenario.  Two of the 5 worst all-time trades for both organizations.

"The trade came shortly after Clevinger and Zach Plesac broke team and MLB COVID protocols to spend a night on the town in Chicago. Cleveland received Cal Quantrill, Josh Naylor, Owen Miller, Austin Hedges, Gabrial Arias and Joey Cantillo from the Padres.

Clevinger underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow shortly after the trade and appeared in only 27 games, including 26 starts, in his time with the Padres."  Cleveland.com/Paul Hoynes

• Fire 1

What relevance would having two sets of injury records have, and can you share a source?  Regardless if he did or din't have two set's, any team trading for a player includes a clause pending passing teams physical.  Let me bring you up to speed on Carlos Correa not passing physical's with the Giant's and Met's who voided both deals by doing their homework.

Or Mike Sirotka.  That will hurt a well-known Sox critic until his last day on earth. 

(That said, using the same doctor for both evaluations wasn't exactly the epitome of brilliance, either.  Both teams are not better off for the next 4-5 seasons, especially SF.)

Good on the White Sox to refrain from comment or judgement until investigations finish.

It’s kinda ironic that if we didn’t have these large corporations the mob would swallow all the light out of the world at the first sign of any crisis.  Who had “Large corporations as last strongholds of integrity” on their bingo card 😂

14 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Well I still don’t see the relevance. I can’t imagine going into a company and an employer telling me I’ve been having sex with too many people so they’re not going to offer me a contract

If you were being hired for an upper management position at a large company or firm you can bet you're ass their doing a background check on you, and something like this may or may not be relevant to them.  It's called character and a large firm wouldn't take a chance on getting their name tarnish by a suspected abuser and skirt chaser.

We  know it's not relevant with the Chicago White Sox, that's why we're in this situation.   A better signing would have been Jameson Taillon if the Sox were serious about winning.

sp.
  • Like 1

Maybe I’m crazy, but it seems to me if MLB and/or the Padres were aware of a situation like this, they have an obligation to share the information with teams interested in signing or trading for the player in question.

MLB teams are “partners.” Allowing one team to hurt the reputation of another by hiding information is pretty bad and damaging. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Maybe I’m crazy, but it seems to me if MLB and/or the Padres were aware of a situation like this, they have an obligation to share the information with teams interested in signing or trading for the player in question.

MLB teams are “partners.” Allowing one team to hurt the reputation of another by hiding information is pretty bad and damaging. 

They don’t. It’s actually the opposite according to the DV policy. I tweeted it earlier. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They don’t. It’s actually the opposite according to the DV policy. I tweeted it earlier. 

Thanks.

I guess I should have made it more clear that I think they “should” have an obligation to disclose this type of stuff…

However, much like I felt with PEDs, I have a feeling they were plenty of whispers, so shame on the Sox for not doing their due diligence.

19 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

What should have happened is Clevinger or his agent could have alerted the Sox at some point.

21 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Or the Guardians?

LaRussa could (still, in his new capacity as a team representative) have found out anything he wanted to know with just one phone call to Francona.