2023-24 NFL Season Thread

8 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

You’re going to be pretty disappointed until they change their QB. There are stats and analysis that support this. Gonna post something another poster on a different website posted because it defines how much of a problem Justin is to the offense.

“Chicago armed Fields with D.J. Moore this offseason. Moore adds to a wide receiver room that includes Darnell Mooney and Chase Claypool as its top three. The Bears have utilized an 11-personnel grouping on 78.5% of their plays this season, which ranks fourth in the entire league. But Fields either can't or won't even see them. The Bears' quarterbacks coach, Andrew Janocko, told me before the season that Fields needed to improve on his anticipation and rhythm. That's still the case.

We haven't seen Fields throw to a spot. He needs to physically see his receivers get to their designated mark before he throws the ball. That doesn't work in the NFL. You have to trust your receivers to be on time and at their mark ahead of time and get the ball out faster. You also need better footwork — and urgency with your dropback.

He cannot seem to get through his progressions, as a result. So much so, that the Bears offense seems to have multiple plays installed that are only half-field reads — meaning Fields only has to go through a progression on half the field. It's meant to help him make a quicker decision and speed up his game. But even that's not working when Fields has no faith in the offensive line. Yes, they need to give him more time but in reality, Fields doesn't even crack the top 10 in pressure percentage. He's pressured on 24.1% of dropbacks. That ranks 14th in the league. 

On top of that, Fields has the most time in the pocket from catching the snap to throwing the ball or getting pressured of any quarterback in the league at 2.8 seconds.“

What I am saying is that upgrading at QB, or any other position, is a futile effort if you don't fix the OL and DL first.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The talent base is better, but the receiving core continues to do nothing.  This coaching staff can’t figure out to get the offense to work.

I could have improved the offensive line from last year, and as I stated, I am an idiot. He seems to think this is all on Fields. Some of it is, but they don’t want to play to his strengths. If the drafted him to be a pocket passer, and I know the current regime didn’t draft him, they are bigger idiots than me. What excited people about Fields was when they started using his strengths. That stopped. So did any Bears hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I could have improved the offensive line from last year, and as I stated, I am an idiot. He seems to think this is all on Fields. Some of it is, but they don’t want to play to his strengths. If the drafted him to be a pocket passer, and I know the current regime didn’t draft him, they are bigger idiots than me. What excited people about Fields was when they started using his strengths. That stopped. So did any Bears hope.

Teams also learned how to contain him

On 9/21/2023 at 2:36 PM, Rocky said:

A coworker has connections to someone on the team. He heard there was a raid at Williams house and that computers were confiscated.  He also heard that his computer(s) at Halas Hall were also taken.  The rumors are very bad.  

If true, the team did the right thing in getting him out quickly. 

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What I am saying is that upgrading at QB, or any other position, is a futile effort if you don't fix the OL and DL first.

And what I’m saying is that you’re going to be severely disappointed in knowing that the OLine is improved, but the QB is making them look awful. DLine def needs work next.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Exactly, there was nowhere to go but up talent wise.  But this team is bottom three on both sides of the ball.  Let’s ignore the abomination of an offense for a second.  When you hire a defensive minded head coach, you expect an elite defense eventually.  Last year there was no talent whatsoever and there are still big holes, but I’d still expect us to outplay our true capabilities a bit.  But nope, still one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  There is no rational argument for why Eberflus should be given another opportunity at this point.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They’ve given him designed runs this game. He’s has freedom to run all years. What they’ve given him is open receivers and he rather run into traffic. They’ve given him more RPOs and designed runs and the offense looks as bad as it ever has.

and it’s not like KC has a world beating defense. Teams know JF can’t read the field. Coordinators job is to scheme guys open and get the QB enough time to hit them. Getsy has done that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, there was nowhere to go but up talent wise.  But this team is bottom three on both sides of the ball.  Let’s ignore the abomination of an offense for a second.  When you hire a defensive minded head coach, you expect an elite defense eventually.  Last year there was no talent whatsoever and there are still big holes, but I’d still expect us to outplay our true capabilities a bit.  But nope, still one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  There is no rational argument for why Eberflus should be given another opportunity at this point.

Ignoring the offense, yes the defense is bad. Their defense actually started hot last year but Poles traded away everything including the floorboards

Poles defensively needs to add talent there

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

They will all be replaced after this year 

It’s not really a choice, because they’d just be repeating the same cycle of lame duck coach getting to pick the QB, then firing said coach after the season. Clean house, let a new regime pick their guy 

31 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

They’ve given him designed runs this game. He’s has freedom to run all years. What they’ve given him is open receivers and he rather run into traffic. They’ve given him more RPOs and designed runs and the offense looks as bad as it ever has.

and it’s not like KC has a world beating defense. Teams know JF can’t read the field. Coordinators job is to scheme guys open and get the QB enough time to hit them. Getsy has done that. 

One designed run, the receiving corps seemed improved, but they hardly ever get separation.

Edited by Dick Allen

Maybe in 10 years the Sox and Bears will be good again. Maybe. I'm 29 years old. I got hooked on the Sox and Bears because of their 05-06 seasons respectively. Neither have had much to show since then. I've basically been a disappointed sports fan throughout all my teenage years and 20s. Why do I continue to be a fan of these teams? Am I just easily duped?

• Like 2