2023-24 NFL Season Thread

I do not understand from a simple PR perspective how these coaches think they are being effective taking the route they do postgame. Just listend to Flus meet the media. "We gotta keep working. There are some good things here. We gotta keep sticking to the system, keep hammering it, things will break for us." 

Why should we think your system is right? You're 3-17 as a Head Coach. No one is getting better. You just got destroyed. Keeping sticking to it? Sticking to WHAT? 

Just unreal. 

1 hour ago, Highland said:

41-10. A lot closer than I thought.

I mean, it’s KC. I never expected the Bears to put up the kind of points some media members expected them to.

47 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wonder what Fields did to deserve this? He gets drafted by most other teams and he's probably a mid level QB by now. But he falls into this QB hell hole of a franchise. 

I honestly feel bad for some of these athletes. 

His look on the bench during the bad Browns loss a few years ago said and still says it all.

The Bears are at 2008 Lions, 2017 Browns levels of bad right now (although granted, 41-10 is about the ass whipping I expected them to get, so I'm really not even mad about it). I won't see any way they can win a game this season until they do it.

Fields is a shell of even his rookie self now. He's looking like Trey Lance.

35 minutes ago, lostfan said:

The Bears are at 2008 Lions, 2017 Browns levels of bad right now (although granted, 41-10 is about the ass whipping I expected them to get, so I'm really not even mad about it). I won't see any way they can win a game this season until they do it.

Fields is a shell of even his rookie self now. He's looking like Trey Lance.

Fields looks like one of the worse pocket passers to ever play. And he is really that. He is clearly a huge part of the problem. The oline and skill position players are good enough. Fields clearly can’t execute and NFL offense. His only chance would be to be in some unique once every ten year offense. 

I would rather have Lance - cause he is just likely to suck. Fields has 3 years of game film not being able to anticipate throws. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fields looks like one of the worse pocket passers to ever play. And he is really that. He is clearly a huge part of the problem. The oline and skill position players are good enough. Fields clearly can’t execute and NFL offense. His only chance would be to be in some unique once every ten year offense. 

I would rather have Lance - cause he is just likely to suck. Fields has 3 years of game film not being able to anticipate throws. 

Spot on.  But sad because he's a nice kid.  He'd be great in a single wing offense. Three years proving what we already knew:  That you can't teach instincts.

Think of all the time we're going to have on Sundays to enjoy the beautiful fall weather without worrying about the Bears.

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

He holds the ball too long, but another  problem is, the "skilled" receivers are having a hard time separating from their defenders. I watched a postgame show where they were breaking some stuff down. It showed one play were he scrambled for 17 yards, after the OL did a nice job blocking for him initially, but all the receivers are covered like a glove. Very rare the Bears actually have someone open, very unlike what we see on the other side of the ball. But his strength never was passing from the pocket. Why don't they try something else?

Edited by Dick Allen

7 hours ago, Tony said:

I do not understand from a simple PR perspective how these coaches think they are being effective taking the route they do postgame. Just listend to Flus meet the media. "We gotta keep working. There are some good things here. We gotta keep sticking to the system, keep hammering it, things will break for us." 

Why should we think your system is right? You're 3-17 as a Head Coach. No one is getting better. You just got destroyed. Keeping sticking to it? Sticking to WHAT? 

Just unreal. 

He sounds like Pedro Grifol in April and May. 

• Like 1

The Bears continue to expand on their NFL record. Now 13 losses in a row giving up at least 25 points. No one had 12 until the Beloved. Eberflus a defensive coach, and Poles spent some cash on the defense. They are awful. The faster they realize the dopes they hired aren't the right guys, the better. So I'm thinking 2026.

13 hours ago, Tony said:

Just unreal. 

Agree on that. I think Flus is trying to be honest and raw with the media, but that's not what you do with the media. You almost have to agree with the media when things are blatant. "We sucked, we're awful. etc."

I wasn't a fan of Flus when he was hired, and he might still be a good coach, but nothing he's done can backup the claim of "things will break for us".

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Agree on that. I think Flus is trying to be honest and raw with the media, but that's not what you do with the media. You almost have to agree with the media when things are blatant. "We sucked, we're awful. etc."

I wasn't a fan of Flus when he was hired, and he might still be a good coach, but nothing he's done can backup the claim of "things will break for us".

I don't even think it's that, it's all just cliche's out of the coaches press conference playbook. I understand different philosophies and not taking the approach of throwing players under the bus or going really hard, but that's not even what I'm asking for. I'm just asking for a bit of transparency and being realistic. As you said, which I agree with, it's ok to say "That was awful and unacceptable. We all got to get better in a hurry to turn this thing around. It's on all of us, right now, to dig deep and be the team we know we are." Instead, we got him talking about how they didn't have a lot of time to practice with each other, this is a new team and it's going to take time for this team to gel. YOU made the choice to not play multiple people in the preseason. You have the worst defense in the league since taking over, and you can't point to a single player that has gotten better since you arrived. You're 3-17 with the Bears. I need to hear a little more sense of urgency after your 13th straight loss, you absolute douche. 

Sorry, that was a rant on Flus, not you. But I'm just so sick of the bullshit from this city. We deserve so, so much better. 

• Fire 2

Fields sucks, said it last year and I got ridiculed and called a clown by you guys. Fast forward to today, and you finally see how bad of an NFL QB this guy is. Sure, he could probably run around all day if they let him but he isn't accurate and cant read a defense.

I hope you guys do get the #1 pick so you can get a legit prospect. With how bad the Sox are and now the Bears as well, I feel bad for you guys, that's no way to spend the majority of your sports fandom watching total garbage.

14 minutes ago, T R U said:

Fields sucks, said it last year and I got ridiculed and called a clown by you guys. Fast forward to today, and you finally see how bad of an NFL QB this guy is. Sure, he could probably run around all day if they let him but he isn't accurate and cant read a defense.

I hope you guys do get the #1 pick so you can get a legit prospect. With how bad the Sox are and now the Bears as well, I feel bad for you guys, that's no way to spend the majority of your sports fandom watching total garbage.

Zero chill.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Poles thought this roster could compete for a division crown. If he really believed that, he has to fire the flus. If they go one to have a top 2 or 3 pick in the draft that didn't come from Carolina, the Bears have to fire Poles. No progress is unacceptable.

I disagree that this should have to happen.  If the first year of his position was under the agreement with owners that he was blowing it all up and starting from ground zero, he should not be getting fired at the end of season 2 unless something significant happened under him that he ignored (like if we found out he knew about whatever Williams resigned over)

the leash becomes a hell of a lot tighter though, this staff has to be cleaned out and next season if we are seeing the same clown show he has to go

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I disagree that this should have to happen.  If the first year of his position was under the agreement with owners that he was blowing it all up and starting from ground zero, he should not be getting fired at the end of season 2 unless something significant happened under him that he ignored (like if we found out he knew about whatever Williams resigned over)

the leash becomes a hell of a lot tighter though, this staff has to be cleaned out and next season if we are seeing the same clown show he has to go

I get that, but he was the guy thinking he had a potential playoff team. If he thinks he has a potential playoff team and they go 3-14 or worse, it's a sign he has no clue.  With all the money he was given to spend, it's not like any of the guys he spent it on look worth it yet. 

Poles created the cap space. Poles got the assets. He's had to clean up the mess that Pace and Nagy made. He gave himself a way out of the JF experience. Did anyone think the Bears were a one year rebuild job when he took over in July of 22? Anyone? 

I certainly did not. Football teams take at least 3 years to turn around. You could fire Poles, but then, who are you going to hire? What experienced guy that so many clamor for, is going to want to come in knowing they have a year leash before the fanbase is restless and influences the FO to fire them? Poles has generated assets. I think this offseason, he needs to capitalize on some and Year 3 is where you should see real improvement. And if you don't by the end of year 3, then yes, he deserves the hot seat. 

2 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I don't think Flus is a terrible manager as the head coach and I do think he is a good defensive coordinator. That clearly hasn't shown up here and a huge part of that is the Dline stinks.  On the offensive side - I don't know if Getsy is good or bad....he clearly didn't design and entirely build a unique offense around Fields - instead took an offense he liked and tried to blend the edges around Fields.

The problem is - Fields might be fine on those edge concepts, but there are only so many that you can run and that limits what you can do and Fields in anything more traditional is legitemently the worse QB in the NFL (yes - I think playing within standard plays - even Zach Wilson might be better - but not by a lot).  And so I stand by my premise - if the Bears think you need to at least run a modern NFL offense to win in the long run - than YOU WILL NEVER go anywhere with Fields. In fact, you will be an adjunct disaster putting Fields in that system - which is exactly what we have witnessed going on the past 3 years (with literally ZERO improvement in this department).  

People should go see some of what Lombardi is saying - really coming to defense of Getsy and others and basically stating - if you were an OC, what could you call for Fields and stating that he literally can't make even the most basic of plays.  The only highlights you will have is him doing something ridiculous running the football and/or the ocassional dime while everythign hits the fan.  That is great - but if you can't do anything worth a damn the other 90% of the time - than you suck.  Getting 200% on 10% of the plays while you get a 50% on the other 90% is an F.  That is what Justin Fields is as a QB and the entire team is being made worse by having him on the field. Most notably the oline and skill position players. 

• Like 1