2023-24 NFL Season Thread

19 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I just want to point out that the 49ers had to settle for a FG in overtime because their OL fucked up and not their QB.

Something to think about for the Bears.

Or the importance of having a dynamic rusher up the middle like Jones?

42 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Further proof of why a stud QB means more than all else, and why the Bears need to keep looking for one rather than sticking with Fields.

I'm not married to JF, if the Bears truly believe Williams is it (or Maye, Daniels etc), then by all means let's get him but they better get it right. My favorite prospect is MHJr, I would trade down for a haul, not gonna lie and I'm still weary of the Bears choosing the right QB, still hurts that the Bears missed horribly on Trubisky and passed up on probably the GOAT QB when all is said and done. I just don't have faith in them getting the right QB and developing him to his highest ceiling, making the right decisions on offense, players and schemes around him...I guess I'm just a cynical Bears fan in that regard haha.

Another thing, I keep going back to that stat that points to JF having the best NFL QB rating when targeting Moore, upwards of 140, better than Mahomes to Kelce in fact...if you put MHJr opposite Moore, there's no way you can convince me it wouldn't make Fields a better passer. Would they be carrying Fields? Yeah I guess so but I wouldn't care so long that it's effective.

Ā 

If the Bears let JF1 walk, I'll be rooting for the next guy to succeed and prove me wrong, as of right now though, I have my doubts about CW. Granted I didn't watch a lot of his games but I did catch the ND game and he looked lost.

• Thanks 1

I really wonder if Poles somewhere deep in himself hates the idea of ending up with the #1 pick. I know, red hot take - how could he be anything but thrilled? As fans we of course love the possibilities, as does the media for the stories its creates; but our situation now has so many possibilities (for right and wrong).

If the Bears selected Ā #4 or below with the Carolina pick itā€™s likely a non-issue - Fields would be returning. Weā€™d have a clearer path. If we select the wrong QB (ie, Trubisky/Mahomes, Young/Strous), or keep Fields and miss out on a generational talent, Poles is done. Ā Not immediately, but his shelf life with the Bears will have been lessened.

High expectations would have followed Poles regardless. However, when you select number one in a draft with a supposed generational talent on top, two other quarterbacks likely going #2 and #3, the expectations rightfully skyrocket.Ā 

• Like 1

Also, I do believe if the Bears keep Fields and trade down for a haul, the team could very well end up making the playoffs. So I donā€™t think itā€™s a ā€œterribleā€ decision there. Itā€™s just now, the possibilities are far greater for either scenario of NFL greatnessā€¦.or NFL lore for a legendary bust.Ā 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I really wonder if Poles somewhere deep in himself hates the idea of ending up with the #1 pick. I know, red hot take - how could he be anything but thrilled? As fans we of course love the possibilities, as does the media for the stories its creates; but our situation now has so many possibilities (for right and wrong).

If the Bears selected Ā #4 or below with the Carolina pick itā€™s likely a non-issue - Fields would be returning. Weā€™d have a clearer path. If we select the wrong QB (ie, Trubisky/Mahomes, Young/Strous), or keep Fields and miss out on a generational talent, Poles is done. Ā Not immediately, but his shelf life with the Bears will have been lessened.

High expectations would have followed Poles regardless. However, when you select number one in a draft with a supposed generational talent on top, two other quarterbacks likely going #2 and #3, the expectations rightfully skyrocket.Ā 

This is all true - but I think it is better for the franchise, but I agree it complicates so much.Ā  I go back to - if Bears were picking at say #6 and #10.Ā  I don't think anyone would be suggesting to package those 2 picks plus another future FRP and DJ Moore for example to move up to #1 overall.Ā Ā 

I think we all would be looking at it and saying - Fields has shown us something. There are still a lot of questions and in some cases more question(s) than answers, but lets continue to build up this football team.Ā  I likely would be proposing mock drafts that had the Bears taking the top OT and the top playmaker.Ā  Maybe some crazy ones where you decide the line is fine and you are taking 2 top playmakers (i.e., one of the top wideouts + Brockers).Ā Ā 

If than you fast forward to '2025 - if Fields still didn't take the next step, but at the same time the players Poles picked were trending up - I don't think anyone would be calling Poles out for not mortgaging the farm to move up for a QB - they would be crediting him for building a much better football team and now looking him square in the eyes and saying - now go get the QB right (how he does that - I have no idea at that point - cause you probably don't have the same draft capital, so by that point I think he's probably stuck in a rock and a hard place).

So maybe as I play it out - it gives Poles more possibilities to kick the can a bit down the road - but eventually he's going to need to pay up...unless of course Fields gets better and quite frankly I would suspect he would continue to grow and improve. I don't think the ceiling is on him and that just over time his weakness would improve and at a faster rate than the physical deterioration would have on him (i.e., his athlete athleticism will go away but not for a few years - which means some steady progress on progression(s) etc from experience should drive his arrow to continue to go up - even if the trajectory is slow).Ā Ā 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is all true - but I think it is better for the franchise, but I agree it complicates so much.Ā  I go back to - if Bears were picking at say #6 and #10.Ā  I don't think anyone would be suggesting to package those 2 picks plus another future FRP and DJ Moore for example to move up to #1 overall.Ā Ā 

I think we all would be looking at it and saying - Fields has shown us something. There are still a lot of questions and in some cases more question(s) than answers, but lets continue to build up this football team.Ā  I likely would be proposing mock drafts that had the Bears taking the top OT and the top playmaker.Ā  Maybe some crazy ones where you decide the line is fine and you are taking 2 top playmakers (i.e., one of the top wideouts + Brockers).Ā Ā 

I would probably be advocating for JJ McCarthy at 6 tbh and Odunze at 9 and keeping Fields

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If than you fast forward to '2025 - if Fields still didn't take the next step, but at the same time the players Poles picked were trending up - I don't think anyone would be calling Poles out for not mortgaging the farm to move up for a QB - they would be crediting him for building a much better football team and now looking him square in the eyes and saying - now go get the QB right (how he does that - I have no idea at that point - cause you probably don't have the same draft capital, so by that point I think he's probably stuck in a rock and a hard place).

So maybe as I play it out - it gives Poles more possibilities to kick the can a bit down the road - but eventually he's going to need to pay up...unless of course Fields gets better and quite frankly I would suspect he would continue to grow and improve. I don't think the ceiling is on him and that just over time his weakness would improve and at a faster rate than the physical deterioration would have on him (i.e., his athlete athleticism will go away but not for a few years - which means some steady progress on progression(s) etc from experience should drive his arrow to continue to go up - even if the trajectory is slow).Ā Ā 

This issue with advancing the potential another year is that all this draft talent turns into real expenses real quick.

A lot of the cap space this offseason is earmarked for Jaylon Johnson.Ā Ā 

The Packers and 49ers have real draft capital.Ā  The Bears have high end draft capital but not the quantity needed to fill a roster.Ā Ā 

Missing on the QB again could cripple them as they have the talent to win but not the QB.

Ā 

• Like 1

One thing that has started to trickle into reality - if you include paying Jaylon Johnson, the bears don't really have that much money this offseason. Last year they really structured guys with some upfront money to avoid paying them if Justin turned the corner, so maybe with the clarity of Williams they have a longer timeline they could play with pay structure. But there really may only be one big splash player.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing that has started to trickle into reality - if you include paying Jaylon Johnson, the bears don't really have that much money this offseason. Last year they really structured guys with some upfront money to avoid paying them if Justin turned the corner, so maybe with the clarity of Williams they have a longer timeline they could play with pay structure. But there really may only be one big splash player.

They have some easy funds to free up too with Fields, Whitehair and Eddie Jackson as seeing the door pretty soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I think they need one big splash at Edge and modest contracts to a veteran center and free safety. They can get the rest in the draft.

Almost assuredly gang-related. And Iā€™d bet money the shooters are underage.

Youā€™d be surprised how often these ā€œkidsā€ are responsible for multiple dead bodies. Sometimes not even in high school yet.

Theyā€™ll shoot into a massive crowd going after one or two targets in it. Zero hesitation or remorse.

47 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Almost assuredly gang-related. And Iā€™d bet money the shooters are underage.

Youā€™d be surprised how often these ā€œkidsā€ are responsible for multiple dead bodies. Sometimes not even in high school yet.

Theyā€™ll shoot into a massive crowd going after one or two targets in it. Zero hesitation or remorse.

The first victim was a Johnson County KS mother/housewife.Ā  One of the richest counties in the US, other side of the state line.

There were supposedly three shooters...one had his jaw blown or torn off.

Well, hello Chicago. Thought it would have been a cool place and I like tailgating for football games, but, hey, let's just make the lake work. And there is no group I hate more (this is an exaggeration) than friends of the park so I will be forced to be absolutely, obnoxiously on the Bears side thru all of this.

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Am I the only one that sees this as the Bears moving to the GRate site and Sox downtown????Ā Ā 

I donā€™t see the Sox current site being anything close to what the bearā€™s want in terms of controlling the party outside of the field. Ā 

• Like 1