Sox trade INTL $ to LAD for two RHPs

Sleepy Harold

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Btw, I just noticed your signature comment below and absolutely love it: 

Long Time Loser GM hires 1st time manager from losing organization, to lead and mentor a roster of massively underachieving, questionable effort giving, oft-injured players, under the guise of an indifferent owner in his 80s, with no regard for success or improvement.

What can go wrong?

Thanks, I thought it was pretty fitting, and definitely the synopsis of what we as fans are dealing with.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

2024 signing pools

5,925,000 Pool:

Astros
Braves
Dodgers
Giants
Mets
Nationals
Red Sox
White Sox

$5,152,200 Pool: 

Angels
Blue Jays
Cardinals
Cubs

$4,652,200 Pool:

Padres
Phillies
Rangers
Yankees

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/white-sox-acquire-aldrin-batista-maximo-martinez-from-dodgers/

The money doesn’t come out of the 2024 signing pool. That money can’t be traded until January 15. This trade is bonus pool space from current signing period. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

jerry-reinsdorf.jpg

Kenny, you saved me from spending more money.  God I love you.  I am so sorry I allowed that Rick Hahn to mess up our normal operating procedure.   

If he had his pinky in his mouth, he'd look just like Dr. Evil. That can't be a coincidense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is complicated because every year teams have left over money they dont spend. Ideally you would like to get involved but its a rigged process you have to get in the game grease the agents and academies in the DR and Latin America.

The LAD are very good at it. We are not. Id prefer to spend the money but this is the 2nd best outcome. So I am conflicted because it could also be worse. We could end up with nothing

We traded the right to spend money.  With what we have just witnessed at the deadline, who thinks we were going to spend that money?  People correctly point out that these deals are worked out often years in advance and we most likely had no one lined up.  While I would prefer to be the Dodgers and have so much talent lined up to acquire that I needed more pool money, the Sox aren't in that position.  Considering the above statements, getting two actual players, 19 and 20 years old, one of whom has had some success, in essence for nothing was actually the correct move.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dodgers have moved plenty of good prospects. I’d like to know why the funds weren’t allocated ahead of time but these are actually interesting prospects. I know that the Sox missed on Morales though which could be why they have extra funds. 

The baseball teams have this Intl budget at limits because it was negotiated through collective bargaining. If they don't spend it all, like you said, they miss out on potential great prospects, which the Sox probably did. As a fan, I would be concerned on why my FO didn't spend the maximum cap money for potential players. It also tells me that the smart Dodgers are probably focused for this off-season on some big Intl prospects, they want to make sure they have enough money for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

Batista sounds very raw but also clearly super talented. It’s possible LA is in on a prospect that we have no chance at and this is a win win scenario. 

This is most likely it. The Sox basically used this money to sign 2 kids the Dodger already signed. It's better than holding onto it.

• Like 1

From BA, on Batista:

At the time of the trade he led the Arizona Complex League with 54 strikeouts and was an up-arrow prospect hidden in the depth of Los Angeles’ system. He works primarily with a low-90s sinker that has touched 97 and a low-80s slider, but he’ll mix in a nascent changeup every now and again as well. Among pitchers with 30 or more innings, his swinging-strike rate of 32.6% was second only to Kansas City’s Emmanuel Reyes, who has since been bumped to Low-A.

And Martinez:

He returned to [ACL] this year and had struck out 28 in 26.2 innings while also issuing 17 walks. Martinez works with a lively fastball in the 95-98 mph range and an inconsistent upper-80s slider that scouts have seen flash plus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Really solid article, thanks for posting and writing.

Upset Marco isn’t allowed to do more, but glad they may have received a promotable prospect.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/baseball/news-who-hyun-suk-jang-dodgers-reportedly-set-sign-premier-pitching-prospect-south-korea

Of course the kid was likely to be the #1 pick in the KBO draft...not Roki Sasaki, but certainly worth a lot more than $1 million and he clearly wants to face the best competition in the world as quickly as possible at age 19 and right out of HS (Korea goes through 19, not 18).

Not shockingly, Dodgers/Padres set to play over there next year with Ha Seong Kim a national hero with his play this year returning home and of course the Dodgers #1 brand name for ages over there thanks to Chan Ho Park.

Looks like he is signing for around $900,000 according to a number of sources.

https://www.truebluela.com/2023/8/8/23823149/dodgers-hyun-seok-jang-south-korea-international-bonus-pool

The Dodgers spent nearly all of their allotted $4.144 million international bonus pool, but got the necessary bonus pool space to sign Jang in a Friday trade with the White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced today that the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres will open the 2024 regular season with two games in Seoul, South Korea on March 20 and 21. The two-game set will be a home-and home series and the contests will represent the first ever regular season games in South Korea.

“We can’t wait to play meaningful Major League games for the very first time in front of the outstanding baseball fans of South Korea next season,” said Dodger President and CEO Stan Kasten. “The Dodgers have a long and proud history of helping to grow the game abroad, highlighted by our trips to Mexico, China and Australia. It’s very exciting to add Korea to the list. I know our players are thrilled to put their talents on display in a country so rich with baseball tradition and talent, including former Dodgers Chan Ho Park, Hee-Seop Choi and Hyun-Jin Ryu.”

https://thinkbluepc.com/2023/07/12/dodgers-scheduled-to-open-2024-season-in-south-korea/

Korean Connection

The Los Angeles Dodgers may have bolstered their future pitching staff.

Korea Baseball Organization insider Dan Kurtz noted that the agency for international pitching prospect Hyun-Suk Jang announced the Dodgers signed their client to a $900,000 contract.

Jang will hold a press conference on Aug. 14.

Eric Stephen of SB Nation explained such a deal was possible because Los Angeles acquired additional international bonus slot space in a trade with the Chicago White Sox. That trade was necessary to add the 19-year-old pitcher because the National League West club had already used most of its $4.1 million international bonus pool.

Jang could have been the No. 1 pick in the KBO draft, but he elected to chase a major league dream instead.

"It was a tough decision for me because I dreamed of pitching both in the KBO and MLB," Jang said in a statement, which was relayed by Stephen. "But ultimately, I wanted to challenge myself in the best league in the world and decided to take a crack at MLB."

Noah Camras of Dodgers Nation noted Jang features a 97 mph fastball and a collection of pitches that includes a curveball, changeup, slider and sweeper.

It will surely take some time for the teenager to reach the major league level, especially for a team that is an annual contender with plenty of formidable players like the Dodgers.

But he has a bright future, and Los Angeles surely hopes he is on the mound at Dodger Stadium in the coming years….

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10085581-dodgers-sign-top-international-prospect-hyun-suk-jang-to-900k-contract

Jang signed for a reported $900,000, per both Naver Sports (quoting Jang's agency) and San Kang of SPOTV in South Korea. Jang Hyeon-seok signed a contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers for $900,000. Daniel Kim (not to be confused with the actor from “Lost”) first reported the Dodgers were close to signing Jang, on Monday.

Edited by caulfield12

Any idea on what the Dodgers paid in bonus for these two guys?  I can’t find anything on the internet, so I’m guessing they were relatively cheap signings.  While this is 100% better than nothing and the guys seem semi-interesting, it’s very frustrating that we’re sitting here in August with unused funds and the best plan available is trade them to another club.  I still remain a Paddy fan and would love to see how different he would operate if not constrained by a Jerry Reinsdord led organization.

The White Sox led MLB with an $1,410,000 international bonus pool as of June 11, while the Dodgers had just $6,500 available. Players who sign for $10,000 or less don’t count against the pool.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-prospects-aldrin-batista-maximo-martinez-traded-to-white-sox/2023/08/05/

Had to be at least $1 million then…some are speculating it was $1.25 million though

Yeah, that’ll work.

With the quality of Jang’s secondaries, I would conservatively put him at a grade of 40+, just a bit ahead of 2023 3rd round pick Brady Smith, whom FanGraphs has as a 40 but mentioned stopping just short of slapping a 40+ tag on him as well. Only 10 pitchers aged 19 or younger received such a nod in the 2023 draft class, and I feel comfortable slotting him somewhere in the latter half of that group.

A pair of factors that may lure Jang into signing are those of recency and industry; this past January, the Pittsburgh Pirates added one of the top prospects out of South Korea to their crew, fellow hurler Shim Jun-seok, giving him a signing bonus of $750K. In an IFA world where bonus amounts are often agreed to several years in advance, it is difficult enough to carve out a significant dollar figure on short notice. So, for Jang to potentially land even more than his fellow countryman received, while being able to get his career started sooner rather than later, may combine to be all the enticement necessary.

https://dodgersdigest.com/2023/08/05/dodgers-swap-prospects-maximo-martinez-aldrin-batista-for-ifa-money-maybe-for-jang-hyun-seok-musings-on-valuations/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Any idea on what the Dodgers paid in bonus for these two guys?  I can’t find anything on the internet, so I’m guessing they were relatively cheap signings.  While this is 100% better than nothing and the guys seem semi-interesting, it’s very frustrating that we’re sitting here in August with unused funds and the best plan available is trade them to another club.  I still remain a Paddy fan and would love to see how different he would operate if not constrained by a Jerry Reinsdord led organization.

Isn’t it just one guy?

Edit: oh wait, you're referring to the guys the Sox traded for. My bad.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1