Whodunit - The Clubhouse Napper

Chicago White Sox

We do have a player…a position player who has fairly serious sleep issues.  He has been given permission, and in fact encouraged, to sleep in the clubhouse at times.

🤔…Rick Hahn has confirmed there is indeed a clubhouse napper, but didn’t mention by name who the specific player was.  All we know about the suspect is the following:

1. He is a positional player and their sleep issues are “fairly serious”
  2. Clubhouse napping was proposed by new “Sports Performance Program”
  3. Veterans were upset after witnessing this napping “earlier in the season”

I think two things are abundantly clear based on the evidence above.  First, the player is likely a younger guy given vets felt it needed to be addressed with management.  Second, the player is also likely relatively new to our clubhouse or else this issue would be more well known.  By filtering on younger players in their first or second season with our club and were on the roster during the first half of the season, we get the following suspects:

• Oscar Colas
  • Lenyn Sosa
  • Carlos Perez
  • Jose Rodriguez
  • Adam Haseley

Now looking at the list above, it’s hard to imagine Jose Rodriguez was up long enough to have created this whirlwind.  The same applies to Carlos Perez, who was only up for a handful of games in May.  That leaves Colás, Sosa, & Hasely as the primary suspects.

From what I can gather, Colás’ energy level seems to be very high and it’s unlikely he’s suffering through “fairly serious” sleep issues.  Now we’re down to two guys.  And of the two, I think Haseley is the likelier suspect.  IMO, napping mid-game means you’re riding some serious pine and simply put Adam has spent more time on the bench this season when on the active roster than Sosa has.  While it could theoretically be Lenyn, the math suggests Hasely is the dude napping mid-game in the clubhouse.

I think the case is pretty much solved, but please share your theories in this thread.  I love a good mystery and look forward to Soxtalk eventually solving this caper.

I wondered who it is too. Doubt it’s Haseley - doesn’t even seem worth mentioning. I didn’t gather from Hahn’s comments that this guy was necessarily sleeping mid game. My mind went to Moncada and AV right away, mainly just due to their low key demeanors. But obviously those guys have been around, so wouldn’t be a new thing, though it sounds like the OKd clubhouse naps might be new. Possible Beni was that vet that mentioned as he’s a new guy and could have found it strange. 

• Like 1

You're assuming Hahn is telling the truth about it being a position player.

He very well may be; but Middleton's comment specifically said 'pitcher in the bullpen' and since he's usually there all the time (since he isn't a starter) he should know.

The two comments simply don't add up, somebody is lying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He very well may be; but Middleton's comment specifically said 'pitcher in the bullpen' and since he's usually there all the time (since he isn't a starter) he should know.

And Middleton has nothing to gain from spilling the beans.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wondered who it is too. Doubt it’s Haseley - doesn’t even seem worth mentioning. I didn’t gather from Hahn’s comments that this guy was necessarily sleeping mid game. My mind went to Moncada and AV right away, mainly just due to their low key demeanors. But obviously those guys have been around, so wouldn’t be a new thing, though it sounds like the OKd clubhouse naps might be new. Possible Beni was that vet that mentioned as he’s a new guy and could have found it strange. 

Colas is my pick to click

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Why would Hahn lie about that though?  TBH, I thought it was more embarrassing that he confirmed there is a player who gets to nap in the clubhouse.

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Could be both a position player that Hahn knows about, and also a pitcher that Hahn doesn't know about.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

images.jpg

57 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Middleton actually said ""You have rookies sleeping in the bullpen during the game. "

It's Carlos Perez. He's a rookie. OP rules them out because of only being a handful of games in May but that's not true. He was up most of July. Aside from that, he has traveled with the team quite a bit this year when non-rostered. It would make sense for him to be hanging out in the bullpen as a catcher when he's not on the roster.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Middleton actually said ""You have rookies sleeping in the bullpen during the game. "

It's Carlos Perez. He's a rookie. OP rules them out because of only being a handful of games in May but that's not true. He was up most of July. Aside from that, he has traveled with the team quite a bit this year when non-rostered. It would make sense for him to be hanging out in the bullpen as a catcher when he's not on the roster.

Good guess.

44 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Makes a lot of sense.  I only ruled him out because I considered “earlier in the season” to mean June at the latest.  And he was only with the Sox for like a week max.  When he was traveling with the Sox?  His minor league game log shows him with Charlotte almost all of April, May, & June.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Makes a lot of sense.  I only ruled him out because I considered “earlier in the season” to mean June at the latest.  And he was only with the Sox for like a week max.  When he was traveling with the Sox?  His minor league game log shows him with Charlotte almost all of April, May, & June.

I know for sure before his July call-up he had already been with the team for a bit before being rostered. Pretty sure earlier in the year he was an emergency traveler too but could be wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would Hahn lie about that though?  TBH, I thought it was more embarrassing that he confirmed there is a player who gets to nap in the clubhouse.

Why would Hahn even mention it? He slammed Middleton for breaking the 'what goes on in the clubhouse rule' and then promptly did it himself by teasing this story and saying Middleton himself apologised for being unprofessional.

Hahn would say anything to try an wriggle off the hook of his own incompetence. By teasing this story he just ensured it stays in the media and speculation longer than if he just said that he refuted Middleton's claims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Not to get off topic but I remember many yrs ago when Harold Baines was bench coach I believe, he always looked like he was just about ready to nod off in the dugout lol

Harold woke up just in time at the World Series to say to Ozzie...."What about Blum?"....the rest is history.