Betts calls out White Sox for not defending Tim Anderson after KO punch, D Backs have team meeting about protocols for similar situations

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arizona-diamondbacks-held-players-only-235220453.html

Many people across the league, inside and out, reacted to the fight; two MLB players, Mookie Betts and Corbin Carroll included.

Carroll admitted his team, the Arizona Diamondbacks, had a meeting about the fight, discussing the scenario hypothetically for future protocol.

"We had a team meeting about it. Players only," Carroll said to Mookie Betts. "Basically, we said that if someone gets knocked out on the field, there is no way that there is nothing thrown after that."

The umpires seemingly allowed Anderson and Ramírez to fight, which is rare in the sport. Rarely do two players engage in fighting stances and read their opponent before tossing haymakers and an over-the-top knockout punch.

But, what Carroll and the Diamondbacks jointly observed was the aftermath.

"No one fought after," Carroll said.

"They kind of just stood around," Betts said.

"You gotta protect your boy, right?" Carroll added.

"You gotta protect your boy," Betts said.

The fight did indeed escalate into a multi-round brawl between both AL Central teams. Though, no one rebelled against Ramírez, as his Guardian teammates kept him untouched after the fact. Not that continuing the violence is the right solution, but Carroll's observation holds some weight.

Anderson tried fighting after-the-fact, before being carried to the dugout by Andrew Vaughn. Eloy Jiménez slapped the dugout fence in anger after his foot seemingly was trampled from the brawl. Pedro Grifol also got in on the scuffle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, T R U said:

Who cares, Anderson deserved to be knocked out and the fact that no one did anything just proves how this is hardly a “team” anyways. This is the worst organization in baseball, easy. 

Angels and Rockies and As and Pirates might have something to say about that. 

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 2

Utter nonsense, so Betts thinks more White Sox players should have been throwing punches? How come no other Guardians players threw punches? Does that mean they don't support Ramirez? 

As a former teacher the 'fight' was just like so many playground fights, after 1 or 2 punches it virtually always degenerates into pushing and shoving and 'hold me back' posturing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1

I agree with Mookie.

Vaughn and the White Sox acted like it was entirely Tim's fault and dragged him off the field.  It was a pitiful show of weakness by a team already being accused of internal dysfunction, a lack of leadership and cohesiveness in the clubhouse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Utter nonsense, so Betts thinks more White Sox players should have been throwing punches? How come no other Guardians players threw punches? Does that mean they don't support Ramirez? 

As a former teacher the 'fight' was just like so many playground fights, after 1 or 2 punches it virtually always degenerates into pushing and shoving and 'hold me back' posturing.

Well, the argument is that the team whose player gets "knocked out" has a NATO-like responsibility to back up their teammate. regardless of the circumstances, for the sake of team chemistry.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the argument is that the team whose player gets "knocked out" has a NATO-like responsibility to back up their teammate. regardless of the circumstances, for the sake of team chemistry.

Would they get that chemistry by also serving suspensions? TA got knocked on his backside due to his own stupidity, more players getting suspended for punching opponents would not prove anything other than they are just as stupid as TA.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Would they get that chemistry by also serving suspensions? TA got knocked on his backside due to his own stupidity, more players getting suspended for punching opponents would not prove anything other than they are just as stupid as TA.

Would it be worth it to unify or galvanize the team around a "common external enemy" ultimately is the question...Grifol certainly proved incapable.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Would it be worth it to unify or galvanize the team around a "common external enemy" ultimately is the question...Grifol certainly proved incapable.

Maybe but that 'siege mentality' only works for a short time. I think it would take more than a good fight to sort this clubhouse out. And I certainly don't think Grifol knocking out an opponent in retaliation would make hima better manager all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, tray said:

I agree with Mookie.

Vaughn and the White Sox acted like it was entirely Tim's fault and dragged him off the field.  It was a pitiful show of weakness by a team already being accused of internal dysfunction, a lack of leadership and cohesiveness in the clubhouse.

It was TA's fault, he squared up like a tough guy and got put on his backside, Vaughn and the others were protecting him from himself, he was clearly concussed and barely able to walk, letting him get knocked over again would be stupid. 

Not punching someone doesnt make you weak, violence is the first resort of the 'emotional retard'. It showed more 'leadership' for Vaughn to step in and protect a team mate by removing him from further harm than if he flew in like a meathead and punched a few guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think it depends.

That Rob Fick/Weaver brouhaha early in 2000 definitely helped to propel that team forward in the first half of the season IMO.

I would agree with you but this season is over and any effect of team bonding over a fight would have worn off by next season. Maybe something similar at the start of the season could have helped bring the clubhouse together but I think the underlying issues with this squad are far greater than being solved by a bit of team spirit.

But certainly this is a clubhouse that appears to have no spirit, no team ethic, no leadership from within and no leadership from above. 

I think the biggest laugh from this incident was that Eloy managed to injure himself and it wasn't through any opposition violence it was get his toe trod on probably by one of his own team. That just about sums up this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Man, can you imagine what kind of team we would put on the field if half the guys got suspended? That would've been entertaining in a "how bad will this get" kind of way.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

It was TA's fault, he squared up like a tough guy and got put on his backside, Vaughn and the others were protecting him from himself, he was clearly concussed and barely able to walk, letting him get knocked over again would be stupid. 

Not punching someone doesnt make you weak, violence is the first resort of the 'emotional retard'. It showed more 'leadership' for Vaughn to step in and protect a team mate by removing him from further harm than if he flew in like a meathead and punched a few guys.

I agree. TA's kind of like your little brother for everyone that has one. He's popping off all the time, deserving to be beat up. He drives you crazy, you'd like to pop him from time to time.  But once someone else tries to pop him, it should be on. On the other hand though, it's easy from afar to say someone should have ben swinging, but reality is probably a bit different. I also don't know how you are defending TA by punching some other random player. And as you said, getting his knocked out ass off the field was a great service to him. His mouth was still going.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

I agree with Mookie.

Vaughn did the right thing, first of all TA was staggering, any more punches and he would have been out for the count, a referee would have stopped the fight. Second If TA still had his senses and wanted to continue the fight, that could have led to who knows what and could have led to a longer suspension. To say that the team didn’t support TA is bull crap by Betts and Carroll, every member of the team came out of the dugout and bullpen to support TA and there was the usual pushing and shoving that you see in most baseball fights. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 8

If more White Sox would've backed up Anderson by throwing punches, the prevailing story would have been that this team is as bad as their fans....remember the Ligues attacking the Royals coach.?

Screw Betts...Vaughn did the right thing getting Tim out of there.

TA threw down his gloves, Ramirez finished the fight by knocking him down.

• Like 4

Vaughn did the right thing.  Had TA taken another punch, he probably would have been in concussion protocol.  The fight was over as soon as he was knocked to the ground.  None of Ramirez's teammates continued to throw punches.  There was a lot of yelling and minor pushing, but it really wasn't a brawl.  To call out the Sox for not defensing TA is ridiculous.  Why not call out the Guardians for not backing up Ramirez?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

All time classic. “I’m listening to the fucking song!”

I remember sitting in a buddy's apartment watching the movie back to back to back on VHS.  We were so drunk by the third time. I think we had most of the dialogue memorized.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I remember sitting in a buddy's apartment watching the movie back to back to back on VHS.  We were so drunk by the third time. I think we had most of the dialogue memorized.

Slap Shot is the most realistic hockey movie ever made.

• Like 1