$75M = One of the worst White Sox LF Seasons

South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, RichieZisk said:

Any true White Sox fan 

Fan is short for fanatic.

Fanatics are obsessive, bordering on insane.  It is completely expected behavior for a fanatic to want to burn it all down when we've reached an almost hopeless stage.  

1 hour ago, RichieZisk said:

an insult to Sox fans who live in Chicago and the surrounding areas who actually go to the games.  

Sounds like you enjoy attending baseball games, especially local baseball games.  

A fanatic that is pulling their hair out right now seems like more of a "true fan" to me.  I went yesterday and was miserable.  I think if someone had put a red button in front of me and said "if you push this button the team moves to nashville" I would have had to tie my hands behind my back or I would have mashed that move button so hard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, "the money ended up getting spent."   Unfortunately it was spent on a complete pile of s%*#. 

Which is one thing that is a positive, at least it keep a few million out of the shareholder's pockets. 

• Like 1

Holy s%*# dude, how many threads do you have to hijack with the incessant ‘move the team’ drivel?  We get it, you hate the White Sox. And it would seem you hate the rest of of us fans too because you won’t shut up with the non-stop complaining / suggesting JR move.  Like, find a new team already.  There are 28 others to chose from not based in Chicago.  We know they suck, as does chairman, FO, on down. Put the phone down, walk away from the keyboard, take a breath, and get a grip FFS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Holy s%*# dude, how many threads do you have to hijack with the incessant ‘move the team’ drivel?  We get it, you hate the White Sox. And it would seem you hate the rest of of us fans too because you won’t shut up with the non-stop complaining / suggesting JR move.  Like, find a new team already.  There are 28 others to chose from not based in Chicago.  We know they suck, as does chairman, FO, on down. Put the phone down, walk away from the keyboard, take a breath, and get a grip FFS. 

Sorry. How have threads do we have to start showing how bad this organization is?  Did you read the first post? How can you read that and not be upset? 15 Mil that isn't being used to actually win games. 

Find one positive thread here. As soon as I log on it's all s%*# news with this team. I post something slightly positive, that they are signing some former high draft picks and the next post immediately points out they are failed draft picks. Crushed that right away. 

Pretty baffling how a guy loses all of his power at age 28. I know he had a broken hamate bone last year, but his power struggles started before that. Nor is that usually a career altering injury. Am I missing something else that could explain it? Going from averaging 16.5 HR’s/year in your 1st 4 full seasons to not being able to crack 10 over a 2 year span doesn’t make any sense. Especially since he’s still making fairly regular contact. It would be less weird if he suddenly couldn’t make contact at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Pretty baffling how a guy loses all of his power at age 28. I know he had a broken hamate bone last year, but his power struggles started before that. Nor is that usually a career altering injury. Am I missing something else that could explain it? Going from averaging 16.5 HR’s/year in your 1st 4 full seasons to not being able to crack 10 over a 2 year span doesn’t make any sense. Especially since he’s still making fairly regular contact. It would be less weird if he suddenly couldn’t make contact at all.

Could say the same about TA and Moncada.  

I have no idea how these guys can't get the ball out of the park anymore. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

But but Kenny said you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents

One of the problems with the "50 cents" approach is that you can only play 9 guys at once on the field. If you've got a real 4-5 WAR player you acquire in FA that can paper over some .5 WAR scrub playing 2B or RF. But when you sign average players (at best) and still pay the "winner's curse" premium you don't get that advantage and in order to field a good team you can't have .5 WAR scrubs elsewhere -- as the payroll piles up.

There's a few clubs that are successful signing mid tier FAs but those clubs also have cheap young players coming up to give average production at the other positions. That's not the Sox, clearly.

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

One of the problems with the "50 cents" approach is that you can only play 9 guys at once on the field. If you've got a real 4-5 WAR player you acquire in FA that can paper over some .5 WAR scrub playing 2B or RF. But when you sign average players (at best) and still pay the "winner's curse" premium you don't get that advantage and in order to field a good team you can't have .5 WAR scrubs elsewhere -- as the payroll piles up.

There's a few clubs that are successful signing mid tier FAs but those clubs also have cheap young players coming up to give average production at the other positions. That's not the Sox, clearly.

It was sarcasm. Only the three stooges running the Sox take it seriously. 

On 8/14/2023 at 3:02 PM, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, "the money ended up getting spent."   Unfortunately it was spent on a complete pile of s%*#. 

Andrew isn't a complete pile of anything.  He's at least as good as Ryan Sweeney, who made $8M in his entire career.  Seriously, have the shareholders ever got a payout?  I don't know that they have. 😄

On 8/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, Texsox said:

Which is one thing that is a positive, at least it keep a few million out of the shareholder's pockets. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Andrew isn't a complete pile of anything.  He's at least as good as Ryan Sweeney, who made $8M in his entire career.  Seriously, have the shareholders ever got a payout?  I don't know that they have. 😄

I can tell you the shareholders haven't lost money and made money on their investment. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 8/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Man, you sure like rooting for this team to be moved. Pretty weird thing to hope for as a Sox fan.

if it means an owner who's number 1 priority is to win, f*** it.

2023 sucked the last bit of 'hardcore' out of me

the future is so bleak, it's gonna take a massive shakeup for anything to change. if that means they're moving the Sox some place with an ownership group who's top priority is to win, I no longer care where they play

I've been watching Orioles games more often than Sox games the last 2-3 months, with zero desire to watch the Sox

but this talk about them moving the team is moot, that will never happen in our lifetimes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I know I should know that player, and the name DOES sound familiar, but I can’t remember him even after looking him up.

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I can tell you the shareholders haven't lost money and made money on their investment. 

I'm pretty sure there have been cash calls over the years, but I don't know about a payout.  Nor do I know if there's a market for the shares. You'd be the one to know an insider. When the Big Moment comes, they'll all have done very well, for certain.  But that doesn't buy a hot dog and a root beer at Portillo's for lunch tomorrow..

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

I know I should know that player, and the name DOES sound familiar, but I can’t remember him even after looking him up.

Singles hitting LF, big Sox prospect, wound up with the Cubs after staying on Square One here.  Wasn't much better there.  Like Andrew, thus the comparison.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, WilliamTell said:

I like Andrew, but he's a complimentary player. If 2B and RF were resolved, he'd be a fine LF option batting 7th in our lineup or something. But being the premiere off season acquisition is beyond ridiculous. He's not the reason this team is a disaster, just a product of how terrible the team is constructed.

His .681 OPS is actually a little high for the Sox lineup but he is no Grandahl.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

This very well could be Rick Hahn's worst acquisition ever in terms of contract and value. Albert Belle he is not.

Sox fans focus on the holes at Catcher, Second Base and Right Field, but Left Field has also been a black hole during "Ozzie Ball" and Rick Hahn eras. Nicky Delmonico was six starts shy of claiming the top spot (76 games in 2018, minus 1.0 bWAR).

Worst Primary * White Sox Left Fielder seasons (1901-2023)

bWAR Player Year / Total Games Played (Age; Career bWAR)

1. -0.9 Juan Pierre 2011 G 158 (33; 17.3) - Ozzie Ball
  2. -0.9 Tommy Davis 1968 G 132 (27; 20.4)  - Another bad Sox vs. Dodgers trade
  3. -0.6 Carlos Quentin 2009 G 99 (26; 10.5) - Post break hand season
  4. -0.4 Ducky Holmes 1905 G 92 (36; 9.2) - Ducky? LOLz
  5. -0.3 Scott Podsednik 2006 G 139 (30; 6.9) - Ozzie Ball
  6. -0.2 Jimmy Callahan 1912 G 111 (38; 24.9) - Out of MLB baseball from 1906 (Age 32) through 1910 (Age 36)
  7. 0.1 Bibb Falk 1921 G 152 (22; 22.7) - 22 Year Old replaced Shoeless Joe Jackson banned by Commissioner KKK Landis
  8. 0.1 Andrew Vaughn 2021 G 127 (23; 0.8 - still active) - Rick Hahn did that
  9. 0.3 Juan Pierre 2010 G 160 (32; 17.3) - Ozzie Ball
  10. 0.3 Carlos May 1974 G 149 (26; 10.5) - Lone bad White Sox season
  11. 0.3 Al Smith 1958 G 139 (30; 20.9) - Replaced Legend Minnie Minoso - Lone under 1.9 bWAR White Sox season (1958-1962)
  12. 0.4 A. J. Pollock 2022 G 138 (34; 22.3) - Rick Hahn did that
  13. 0.4 Andrew Benintendi 2023 G YTD 110 (28; 16.2) -Rick Hahn did that
  14. 0.5 Bibb Falk 1922 G 152 (23; 22.7)
  15. 0.5 Patsy Dougherty 1910 G 127 (33; 17.8)
  16. 0.6 Ron Kittle 1984 G 139 (26; 4.7)
  17. 0.6 Dayan Viciedo 2013 G 124 (24; 1.1) - Rick Hahn did that
  18. 0.7 Rip Radcliff 1935 G 146 (29; 9.0)
  19. 0.7 Carlos Lee 1999 G 127 (23; 28.3)
  20. 0.7 Jimmy Callahan 1911 G 120 (37; 24.9)
  21. 0.8 Alejandro De Aza 2014 G 122 (30; 7.2) - Rick Hahn did that
  22. 0.8 Dave Nicholson 1964 G 97 (25; 0.5)
  23. 0.8 Pat Seerey 1948 G 95 (25; 4.0)
  24. 0.2 Ron LeFlore 1981 G 82 (33; 18.0) 
  25. 0.9 Ralph Garr 1977 G 134 (31; 14.8)
  26. 0.9 Ralph Garr 1978 G 118 (32; 14.8)
  27. 0.9 Melky Cabrera 2017 G 98 (32; 20.6) - Traded 7/30 - Rick Hahn did that

Note *: Minimum Games Played in Left Field greater than 50% of total White Sox games played.

This cluck has obviously never heard of Jaime Navarro.

18 hours ago, zisk said:

This cluck has obviously never heard of Jaime Navarro.

Benintendi $75M. Jaime Navarro $15M. Not in the same universe

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Adam Dunn...

Although Dunn was sort of decent after that NY Times/appendectomy season...when his kid was also quite sick from what I understand.

Kenny Williams acquired Adam Dunn two seasons before Rick Hahn took over.