8/16 Game Thread: White Sox @ Cubs 7:05CT

Bob Sacamano

37 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Fucking clown show.

Hard to win a game when you have as many batters over .700 OPS as under .600 in the lineup.

Dylan Cease has a .875 OPS. While I don't think that is sustainable, I think there is a solid chance he would hit in the .600s, possibly .700, if he was a regular DH.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

We are born losers

At least Chris Chelios is happy. I heard him on the SCORE this morning and even though he says he is a White Sox fan he is happy the Cubs are winning so that at least one Chicago baseball team might go to the postseason.  Any White Sox fans here glad that the Cubs are winning? Not me!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Santos goes again today after a 5 out save yesterday. How many dumbass decisions is Grifol gonna make this season?

I saw that too, but he only had 16 pitches over the five outs.

They literally have Santos (1.8 fWAR), Bummer (1.1 fWAR) and six "guys" in the bullpen post trade deadline, and honestly not much more than that before the tanking trades.

White Sox August 16 bullpen:

1. CL Santos 1.8
  2. SU Bummer 1.1
  3. Guy Ramsey 0.2
  4. Guy Shaw 0.1
  5. Guy Honeywell 0.0
  6. Guy Banks -0.1
  7. Guy Cronin -0.2
  8. Guy Lambert -0.5

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You expect JR to come up with a $35 million dollar check for the remainder of 2022 2023 and 2024 buyout?

I don’t care what it costs he’s a huge part of their problem. I know it would never happen but just want him gone from the team 

• Like 1

This is the "first class organization" Einhorn promised when he and Reinsdorf bought the franchise.

This is the window for multiple championships this organization promised after forcing the fans to endure years of "tanking."  

Wherever you’re at, Jerry Reinsdorf, eat your heart out. I hope people realize what scum you are.

Santos fits right in with the other bullpen buffoons. 😆

16th time this season...16, the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost the game.

7th time they lost the lead in the 9th inning.

Only in the world of the White Sox.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I don’t care what it costs he’s a huge part of their problem. I know it would never happen but just want him gone from the team 

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

I believe I heard yesterday that the White Sox have more blown saves than saves. Shouldn't that be kinda hard to do?

Just tied Cardinals for first at 21 blown saves.

21 bs / 38 opportunities=45% success rate

2. Chicago White Sox - 20

The White Sox are right behind the category leaders with just one less blown save. The franchise had thirty-seven instances where a pitcher could save the game but could earn it on only seventeen instances.

Chicago White Sox player Luis Robert during the 2023 All-Star week
Chicago White Sox player Luis Robert during the 2023 All-Star week( Source : instagram )

Their inability to maintain the lead has been one of the main reasons they are fourth in the Central division of the American League with a record of 38-54. They have conceded the third most home runs in the league and have an ERA of 4.53.

Joe Kelly leads the team with six blown saves, the second most in the entire MLB. The relief pitcher is followed by his teammates Reynaldo Lopez and Kendall Graveman, who have five and three, respectively.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Just tied Cardinals for first at 21 blown saves.

21 bs / 38 opportunities

2. Chicago White Sox - 20

The White Sox are right behind the category leaders with just one less blown save. The franchise had thirty-seven instances where a pitcher could save the game but could earn it on only seventeen instances.

Chicago White Sox player Luis Robert during the 2023 All-Star week
Chicago White Sox player Luis Robert during the 2023 All-Star week( Source : instagram )

Their inability to maintain the lead has been one of the main reasons they are fourth in the Central division of the American League with a record of 38-54. They have conceded the third most home runs in the league and have an ERA of 4.53.

Joe Kelly leads the team with six blown saves, the second most in the entire MLB. The relief pitcher is followed by his teammates Reynaldo Lopez and Kendall Graveman, who have five and three, respectively.

The game shouldn’t have been a save situation if Moncada could hit a baseball. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Santos fits right in with the other bullpen buffoons. 😆

16th time this season...16, the Sox took a lead into the 7th inning or later and lost the game.

7th time they lost the lead in the 9th inning.

Only in the world of the White Sox.

Good reason for keeping Katz.

Mental weakness is the culture.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Good loss boys.

The starting pitcher who most here think is a scumbag and won't be back pitches well.

Your likely set up man and closer for next year blow the game.

Please explain why that is a good loss?  I don't trust these asshats in the front office  to pick the right guy, I don't care how high they pick next year in the 1st round.

Edited by wegner

Hendriks would have saved that game. Shaw might have gotten the save tonight with how much Santos worked last night.

This is the result I expected with how this team has underperformed all season. The ballgame was starting to look concerning for me when they didn’t get runs with the bases loaded and nobody out and Madrigal got the bomb. 

The quote from Robert about leaders in a Tribune article today is concerning. The Cubs seem to have it, how do the Sox get that from players? Who goes and more importantly who fits the bill? The season will come to and end and hopefully we will know more about the team’s and org’s future.