After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

what a sad sad sad sad sad sad sad state of affairs.

I can't really cut down any more than I already have. I only paid for one game this year, as part of a tee ball package. 

I had a 20 or so game package just last year. Seems like 100 years ago though.

• Like 3

Been a Sox fan since the '84 season when my dad took me to a game when I was less than 2 months old. My first-ever gift was a Sox mini bat given to me by a relative.

This move would make me reconsider my allegiance.

Logically, I want to bail.

Emotionally, I know I can't.

• Like 6

I’m going to try to be optimistic. We knew who Hahn and Kenny were, we have no clue who Getz will be. He has a chance to position himself as the franchise’s savior with the right moves. He also probably doesn’t have a lot of time to prove himself, pending the sale of the team. The only problem is his hiring likely comes with retaining Pedro. That move alone might define his legacy.

• Haha 1

If JR still owns the team and continuously hides the checkbook in the folds of his belly fat, does it really matter who the president is, or the GM?  If it's Getz, and it sounds like it is, we'll just have to wait and see what he does (or is allowed to do).  Sure, he's not qualified to lead a real team.  But a puppet's only qualification is allowing someone else to stick their hand up their ass and make them talk and wave their arms around.

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Ok important questions.  I’ve been a Sox fan since childhood (1990).  In this particular situation—say they hire Getz and the majority of us lifers basically give up…what’s the fan rule?

Are we now considered band wagon fans if, someday, they make their way back to relevance and we begin rooting for them again?  We’ve tolerated more than our fair share of grief.  Does it count as “giving up” if there’s literally nothing to give up on?  Does it count as giving up since the owner and the majority of the players have given up on us?  Do we have to remain independently unaffiliated and not cheer for any other team to be able to return?  Or do we have to at least commiserate with Sox fans while we sit out the actual games part of the season?  Can we all agree that not supporting this owner’s team now is actually considered practicing strong mental health?  We need some clarity on these things and a unified front on how we will fan rule our way through this. 

Everyone will have to handle it in their own way. I feel if people do not give Jerry a penny, at the games, via merchandise, via his garbage cable TV network, that's the only thing he gives a s%*# about.

I boycotted for 13 years after the 1990 season, and boycotted a second time since the Tony La Russa hire. I went to one game this year with tickets from a friend that won a charity raffle, didn't spend a penny (I brought beer and food for tailgating), and won't until Jerry is no longer in charge. Not sure I'd return if Michael Reinsdorf takes over, they need new ownership and a completely new direction.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nobody is hiring Jeremy Haber as head of baseball operations 

I think so 

People are freaking out, but I initially thought this press conference would be about explaining their process for finding the next GM, NOT about already finding the next GM. I guess we'll see. 

I do not want Chris Getz to be GM because I don't see any particular evidence that he has the usual qualifications for it (although maybe holding this title is sometimes the immediate step prior to being hired for a GM role, I don't know for sure) but more importantly that it would seem to reflect a bad process. There's obviously no way a competent search has been or could have been conducted and it stands to reason that he could not have been performing his job at an extremely high level given the outputs. And if he was being held back by the previous regime, then it stands to reason that he has not likely had the level of authority to prove his chops for this type of promotion.

I will admit that I'm no expert on Chris Getz and his background, besides his status as one of the all-time lowest power hitters in MLB, so maybe someone can cook up some kind of rationale for why he might be able to do the job. Even if it hurts and even if I'm going to throttle back my engagement with the team, I'll be rooting for him because I'd rather have a successful stupid hire than an unsuccessful one.

But for now I'll keep hoping these reports aren't true...

• Like 1

It just feels so absolutely dreadful that the one chance we had at meaningful change to the organization finally happens, and they are promoting from within. I'm tired of rooting for failure so change is made at the top. Because here we are with an open window to finally do something differently, and the organization trips all over itself in order to do it the same damn way it's always been done.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

Just now, DirtySox said:

It just feels so absolutely dreadful that the one chance we had at meaningful change to the organization finally happens, and they are promoting from within. I'm tired of rooting for failure so change is made at the top. Because here we are with an open window to do something differently, and the organization trips all over itself in order to do it the same damn way it's always been done.

Jerry was never, ever going to hire a person that would tell him how messed up the organization is

Two requests:

1. Sell me the snake oil. Who's got the most positive sales pitch on why Chris Getz should be the GM? What would Chris be saying about himself to Jerry to get this job?

2. What's the reason Jerry would have any particular attachment to Chris Getz? He was a White Sox player, but not for long. And he was such a minor figure on our team I wouldn't have expected Jerry to have any kind of relationship with Getz in his playing days. So if not that, what makes Getz stand out relative to other guys in the front office from a relationship standpoint?

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP