After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Speaking of environments, Charlotte seems like a real wasteland.

Does anyone learn anything there?  Can anyone tell whether or not they do?

I guess the only thing nice I'd say about Charlotte is can't remember the last time a decent prospect arrived and stalled in AAA. Not fair - but like a matt davidson or erik johnson. Guys that seemed like they were supposed to be parts of the team that just were withering away.

That hasn't happened in a while, so I think the real problem I'd put on Charlotte is that we don't have enough talent in the org to make it competitive. 

I don't think Charlotte will ever have the sexiest prospect roster, it should have older MILB FAs and guys that know what they are doing and can fill in. We dont' want guys there multiple years. But it shouldn't be the absolute horse s%*# it was for the last 2 years. Never seen worse pitching.

21 minutes ago, almagest said:

Super interested to hear Getz's philosophy and how he's going to run the org. If it's all Royals retread based and "culture" and "'14/'15 Royals" as I expect I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

Na, he’ll say the right stuff just like Grifol, and it’ll even win over some posters here. You’ll see a decent amount of posts telling you to give him some time and opportunity to prove he’s incapable.

• TLR 1

9 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Na, he’ll say the right stuff just like Grifol, and it’ll even win over some posters here. You’ll see a decent amount of posts telling you to give him some time and opportunity to prove he’s incapable.

Never thought the Chicago White Sox would force me to become a tOSU fan...but they're actually managing the feat quite well.

It would come to be known as the "Selig Rule," and it required every club to consider minority candidates "for all general manager, assistant general manager, field manager, director of player development and director of scouting positions."

In addition, Selig asked clubs to provide him a list of their openings and to include a list of candidates, including minority candidates, to be interviewed.

"I'd tell the clubs, 'You're hurting yourself when you're just recycling these guys; you're limiting yourself,'" Selig said. "I believed we have such a great opportunity to do good and constructive work. I'm just asking people to be fair."

"It makes you feel that baseball has been more than just a game, more than just a recreation," White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf said. "We had a great impact on the country."

"Now it's time to undo this sh** and put those (insert vulgar term of your choice for minority staff) back in their places" White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf said about his decision to conduct a sham interview process for another position in 2023.

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Now it's time to undo this sh** and put those (insert vulgar term of your choice for minority staff) back in their places" White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf said about his decision to conduct a sham interview process for another position in 2023.

There's a lot to rip JR about... but this is unfair.  How many teams have had a minority as the #1 baseball person for 20 years?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

There's a lot to rip JR about... but this is unfair.  How many teams have had a minority as the #1 baseball person for 20 years?

Balta is dying on a hill that no one is joining him on, because like most hills, it's a stupid one to die on. 

Jerry didn't conduct a "sham" interview process because of race. He's a lazy, uninterested 87 year old that has zero interest in doing even an ounce of "extra" work needed to create a winning or competitive environment for his sports teams, but instead insulate himself with people that will work cheap and he enjoys smoking cigars with. He's done it many times before, and this is just the latest instance. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m dangerously close to sitting out White Sox baseball until Jerry dies.  Starting to question what is the point in supporting a franchise that is held hostage by an incredibly stubborn, out-of-touch owner.  Jerry has always wanted to win “his way”, but you’d think he’d finally wake the f*** up given a possible sale / exit might be coming.  But nope, still going to promote an insular, unqualified employee to be his head baseball decision maker without even attempting a legit interview process, despite it potentially costing him hundreds of millions of dollars down the road.  Unfortunately, our only hope at this moment is Father Time and that’s a terrible predicament to be in as a fan.

the orioles are so fun to watch right now, I've never seen a Sox team play baseball like that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m dangerously close to sitting out White Sox baseball until Jerry dies.  Starting to question what is the point in supporting a franchise that is held hostage by an incredibly stubborn, out-of-touch owner.  Jerry has always wanted to win “his way”, but you’d think he’d finally wake the f*** up given a possible sale / exit might be coming.  But nope, still going to promote an insular, unqualified employee to be his head baseball decision maker without even attempting a legit interview process, despite it potentially costing him hundreds of millions of dollars down the road.  Unfortunately, our only hope at this moment is Father Time and that’s a terrible predicament to be in as a fan.

I’m fairly comfortable with the approach I’ve taken. 

I haven’t watched 2 full innings of White Sox Baseball literally in literally 4 months. Just better uses of my time. Additionally, I haven’t been to the park since 2019. I won’t give them my money.

However, the Sox are bigger than Jerry. He isn’t the White Sox. He owns them now, and someone else will once he dies. I root for the Sox, not the owner. So I won’t completely abandon them, but I won’t root for them. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m fairly comfortable with the approach I’ve taken. 

I haven’t watched 2 full innings of White Sox Baseball literally in literally 4 months. Just better uses of my time. Additionally, I haven’t been to the park since 2019. I won’t give them my money.

However, the Sox are bigger than Jerry. He isn’t the White Sox. He owns them now, and someone else will once he dies. I root for the Sox, not the owner. So I won’t completely abandon them, but I won’t root for them. 

that's about where I'm at. Last time I bothered to go to a game was 2019 and I haven't put a game on since June. Why bother? It's a dead end club.  I'm not going to magically fall in love with another team, that's just not how it works, but for now I'm not really a Sox fan either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

that's about where I'm at. Last time I bothered to go to a game was 2019 and I haven't put a game on since June. Why bother? It's a dead end club.  I'm not going to magically fall in love with another team, that's just not how it works, but for now I'm not really a Sox fan either.

Right. It’s unrealistic to think I’m just going to have the same connection to Baltimore or Atlanta. Great to watch, but the personal history isn’t there, like it is with the Sox since birth. You can’t just recreate that. It’s why sports can be unfair to fans…these teams know they have their hooks in with the hardcores and we’re never truly leaving. BUT, I’m doing nothing right now to benefit the White Sox. They are getting nothing from me, and it sounds like many others 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't expect the media to ask Getz something like "Why was the farm system so impotent under your watch?" or "What are your qualifications for this job"; and if he's bringing in Dayton Moore, "Dayton Moore had 3 winning seasons out of 16 with the Royals; is that something that the Sox really should emulate?" or "Do you stand with  Dayton Moore  on Luke Heimlich?"

But could they at least ask him some positive questions such as:

1)What are your plans to improve the productivity of the farm system?; specifics please
2) The Sox are at or near the bottom in terms of investment in analytics; teams like the Cubs have an analytics department 3x the size of the Sox.  What are your specific plans to vitalize our analytics department?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you think KW was white this whole time? Also, it seems like Jerry did a lot for Kim Ng, a Chinese woman. What are you even talking about here?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

the orioles are so fun to watch right now, I've never seen a Sox team play baseball like that

I've been watching the Orioles on and off for some time . I still watch every White Sox game, along with the Marlins sometimes, but Baltimore is just more fun.

• Like 1

The White Sox will always be my team. The team I fell in love with in the early 1990s.  The team I followed through thick and thin, the highest highs and lowest lows.  But life is short, and if the franchise just doesn’t give a s%*# about trying anymore, I don’t give a s%*# about them anymore, or whatever they do. It’s a two way street. If the rumoured Getz move does come to fruition, I’m not spending any emotional energy or money on them until JR no longer has his miserly hands on my favourite team.  MLB.tv is a wonderful outlet and I will watch good out of town baseball and free myself from the dumpster fire local team. 30+ years of fandom is hard to quit, but they might as well be dead to me until JR is dead and gone. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Did you think KW was white this whole time? Also, it seems like Jerry did a lot for Kim Ng, a Chinese woman. What are you even talking about here?

Kimberly J. Ng is an American executive in Major League Baseball.

Chinese-American, ABCD or East Asian American.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Kimberly J. Ng is an American executive in Major League Baseball.

Chinese-American, ABCD or East Asian American.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about, bozo

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

So hope this is the case, as well as Dayton Moore so that media unload on this farce to the point that casual fans take notice.

The Sun Times and Tribune should join the Atlantic and pull their coverage as this team needs to be ignored until their is new ownership and competent leadership.

24 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I've been watching the Orioles on and off for some time . I still watch every White Sox game, along with the Marlins sometimes, but Baltimore is just more fun.

Yeah, we just don't have the horses or the injury records to play that Guardians/Orioles style of baseball.

2014-15 Royals.

Vince Coleman, McGee, Herr, Jack Clark 1980's Cardinals' aggressive style as well as the Wilson/Brett/Frank White Royals.  

Of course playing on AstroTurf or domed stadiums made a huge difference, thinking back to the 00's Twins and early 90's Blue Jays team.

Now it's the Rays as well.

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP