The press conference thread

bmags

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Having seen him at Sox fest I actually thought he’d appear better in front of cameras, but when you know you don’t deserve to be there it’s hard to appear authentic without being a psychopath.

I wish someone asked about SoxFest when he said the fans were pissed off about the season.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I wish someone asked about SoxFest when he said the fans were pissed off about the season.

He didn’t take any questions. He’s at least aware enough to know it wouldn’t go well for him, even with as soft as Chicago media is.

I am at a loss of words.  I literally came in with the lowest of expectations and was still somehow disappointed.  I still can’t get over that half his answers were “I’m going to sit down with Pedro”.  Like holy f***, Pedro should be banned from MLB for gross misconduct as manager.  And yet this is Getz’s go to guy.

@fathom - It’s so clear the plan for next year is trade for Salvy, sign two C tier SPs, and hope that “improved culture” will somehow rejuvenate all the broken and flawed players on this roster.  “Let’s call out the elephant in the room, we play in the AL Central”.  Just throw some s%*# against the wall and hope it sticks long enough to sneak into the playoffs.

I don’t even know how to cheer for this franchise, when I actually want Jerry to never see a winning product again in his lifetime.  He simply doesn’t deserve to witness another playoff game, which means waiting 10 years or so for his reign of terror to end.  Sucks my oldest will be in college and won’t give a f*** about the Sox by then, but that’s the unfortunate reality with the near immortal Jerry Reinsdorf at helm.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not even exaggerating when I say this, but that is the worst press conference I have ever witnessed in my entire life.  Pedro at least said all the right things when he was introduced, even if it was a bunch of false promises.  Chris had no specifics on how he will improve the org.  His entire plan is “sitting down with Pedro” and that will somehow magically fix everything.  It is so fucking clear that this f*** whispered a bunch of sweet nothings into Jerry’s ears and was able to convince to hand the ship over to him without a legitimate plan on how to fix s%*#.

Also, I can’t believe we are stuck with Pedro for another year and it’s painfully obvious that Haber will be an integral member of the front office.  Throw in the fact that they plan to compete somehow next year by doing “things” and I have never been less confident in this org in my entire life.  Chris Getz is basically a poor man’s Rick Hahn but without the ability to lawyer speak.  What a complete fucking disaster.  At least a few media members took some shots.

Finally getting the chance to listen to the presser now, it's hearty with nothing-burgers. But I'm sure that future Dayton Moore announcement is gonna really rile the people up lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Finally getting the chance to listen to the presser now, it's hearty with nothing-burgers. But I'm sure that future Dayton Moore announcement is gonna really rile the people up lol. 

Let’s be honest.  Chris clearly has no ideas other than “Dayton Moore won a World Series and is willing to mentor me”.  It’s going to be amazing when that is finally announced alongside keeping Grifol & Haber.  Hard to believe that much “thought leadership” in one org was even possible.

For some reason, JR doesn't piss me off when I listen to him, even when he's telling real howlers .

Getz was better on the radio interview than he was in the press conference.  Those guys certainly asked much better questions; although Getz still gave puffed wheat answers, but he sounded better.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Hostetler is going to be more intimately evolved now with the centers of power shifting.

Why?  He's the second  guy Getz should fire (after Haber).   Even JR mentioned in his press conference (the one he answered questions) that the removed the guy because they wanted more out of draft. I thought he was still around just to be a Hahn fan-boy 

Man that was some pure trash. There were some good questions asked, but all were predictable. From what we know Getz has had at minimum for a week to prepare for this. His answers were terrible. “I understand why you are skeptical, but I’ll try to be different but I can’t tell you how. I dunno what the vision is - we will just look at stuff to try to make sure it gets better.”

Jerry : “Chris was the right choice because he knows the system and won’t have to do an evaluation of everyone”. Getz : “I can’t give any concrete answers as to how I’ll get better, I’ll just have to sit down and meet with everyone to understand how things are run and evaluate them”

also , they keep saying the clubhouse stuff got fixed with the moves. So who was the problem - Giolito? Lynn?

• Like 2

I dont understand the public commitment to Grifol. He and Pedro reportedly have a good relationship. That was apparent when Pedro greeted him after the conference. If that's the case why don't you privately tell Pedro he will be back in 2024. Then when asked publicly state something to the effect of "nobody's job is safe and everyone should be playing, coaching and managing like someone is pushing to take their job." An easy win with the fan base and maybe a kick in the butt to the players. I dunno. This whole organization just makes things so much harder than necessary. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hostetler is going to be more intimately evolved now with the centers of power shifting.

Katz is irrelevant unless he wants a pitcher demanding four or more years.

Cease and Kopech are as good as gone eventually....probably at their lowest possible values even compared to this past trade deadline.

I don't think Cease and Kopech are very good, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Spumoni said:

He didn’t take any questions. He’s at least aware enough to know it wouldn’t go well for him, even with as soft as Chicago media is.

That's just absurd to not take questions. That tells the world it's a negative day in Sox history. At least be proud of the hire and the GM should be a leader and answer questions. What does he have to lose? Answer some questions.

2 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

I bet they end up trading Quero for Salvy Perez

Would the Royals do that to poor Salvy? Geez, Royals. Trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox, not the putrid White Sox. Hopefully for Perez sake he has a say in where he goes.

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s going to take Montgomery.

It shouldn't, Salvy will be a 34 year old catcher with a big contract. I have no clue how his value could possibly be that high. 

I mean realistically, Salvy should be a pure salary dump. 

He's been below replacement level in 2023. 

Edited by baseballgalaly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s be honest.  Chris clearly has no ideas other than “Dayton Moore won a World Series and is willing to mentor me”.  It’s going to be amazing when that is finally announced alongside keeping Grifol & Haber.  Hard to believe that much “thought leadership” in one org was even possible.

I found his presser boring and filled with a lot of nothing outside of him mentioning outside influence a few times. It wasn't a great performance, but listening to JR meet with the media made me significantly more mad. 

• Like 2