9/20 vs. WSH: “There’s No Gamethread” Gamethread

Eminor3rd

Really glad the Sox came through. Hope Boston is playing for contracts and pride as they will need a series win to tie the Sox for the season and a sweep to win the season series.

Chris Sale lines up for revenge Friday against Touki. Cease faces Pivetta on Saturday and have to hope Clevinger is bad Sunday against Kutter Crawford, who I never heard of before this post.

So which position player will take the mound today?

Some rookie like Sosa?

Grizzled vet who grew up dreaming of being a pitcher (like an Andrus type)?

Someone you wouldn't expect to want to pitch and would have no expectation of being able to throw 75 (like Vaughn)?

...or some boneheaded move that's just going to risk long-term injury to a legit star (Robert is the only one who qualifies, I think)?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I was thinking the other day, Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall would have ate TA alive this season.

Was Kopech injured, or just "the opener" today?

Harry was so popular in Chicago he might have been the spark some of the Sox needed to wake up and play to their potential. He would have been relentlessly bashing them and those players would have heard it from the fans too. Harry would have destroyed Moncada and TA and would have wondered aloud many times about all the injuries from running,

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

Everyone should get a good look at the game today, this is what you're in store for next season.

Unless of course by some miracle JR opens his checkbook up to sign four starting pitchers, were going to be running these bums out there everyday with the exception of Cease and even that has been looking questionable lately.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Harry was so popular in Chicago he might have been the spark some of the Sox needed to wake up and play to their potential. He would have been relentlessly bashing them and those players would have heard it from the fans too. Harry would have destroyed Moncada and TA and would have wondered aloud many times about all the injuries from running,

Jerry Reinsdorf called Harry Caray scum.

Chicago went from a 50-50 Sox Cubs split to 67 Cubs - 33 Sox over the next four decades. Harry has a statue at Wrigley Field whereas if the White Sox had DeBartolo that statue would be at 35th and Shields after decades of service. 

Pretty sure Harry Caray wasn’t scum, but there were two Brooklyn Dodger carpetbaggers who fit the bill.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Rick and Kenny really put together a championship roster, with top notch managing and coaching. Hard to believe they aren't at the top of the list for any current and future openings.

It’s amazing how awful everything is.  They botched the deadline badly.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Really glad the Sox came through. Hope Boston is playing for contracts and pride as they will need a series win to tie the Sox for the season and a sweep to win the season series.

Chris Sale lines up for revenge Friday against Touki. Cease faces Pivetta on Saturday and have to hope Clevinger is bad Sunday against Kutter Crawford, who I never heard of before this post.

Sounds to me like a guy who will look like Cy Chen against us on Sunday.

I believe this is the 18th time the Sox have given up runs in double digits. When was the last time they won a series? Glad I decided not to watch this game today.  This season can't end fast enough. I can't see how they can avoid 100 losses. Maybe Clevinger will be arrogant enough to point to the scoreboard again.

23 minutes ago, T R U said:

Everyone should get a good look at the game today, this is what you're in store for next season.

Unless of course by some miracle JR opens his checkbook up to sign four starting pitchers, were going to be running these bums out there everyday with the exception of Cease and even that has been looking questionable lately.

Don't worry. They have prospects. Everything will be fine.

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry Reinsdorf called Harry Caray scum.

Chicago went from a 50-50 Sox Cubs split to 67 Cubs - 33 Sox over the next four decades. Harry has a statue at Wrigley Field whereas if the White Sox had DeBartolo that statue would be at 35th and Shields after decades of service. 

Pretty sure Harry Caray wasn’t scum, but there were two Brooklyn Dodger carpetbaggers who fit the bill.

Not to derail the conversation and stir up the masses, but I think Harry changed a bit and became even more of a jerk toward the tail end of his Sox tenure.

I realize he was huge when he got to Chicago being the famous voice of the Cards and had a name and ego before he got to the south side but me thinks he got worse in the ego department in Chitown where he was the mayor of Rush Street.

My dad's partner at the Board of Trade was one of many of the Sox ownership group until he died and my dad had occasion to be around Harry a lot postgame in the Bard's Room.

Back in the day for worse more than better people drank their butts off after games even if they had to drive. There was little concern about repercussions of driving while bombed.

I guess Harry was hard to tolerate after a certain amount of drinks/beers/whatever. Not trying to disparage Harry. I loved the guy. I remember my friends and I would send a note up to Harry during games (remember he'd read on the air you were at the game if u sent up a note) and he'd announce we were there.

People actually would notice if Harry read your name and tell me they heard I was at the game and it was neat of him to read fans notes on the air.

We did it like clockwork. My dad had season tix in the fifth row and would give me four tickets as he sat somewhere else with his partner and I'd go with 3 friends. Before getting seated we'd always have the guard send our note up to Harry with a little line or joke on there. "Falstaff forever" or "We love Zisk" on there or something. He'd read those messages on the air. That was Harry. The fan broadcaster.

Any how my dad ultimately followed the lead of JR and the minority owners who despised Harry at the end. My dad would simply say 'what a jerk' when I'd quiz him on Harry. As a fan though I never wavered. I loved him. I remember one rain delay he and Jimmy tore the Sox apart while killing time. It was brutal. Harry would have attacked this team big time.

Rest in peace Harry you shoulda been a Sox announcer forever like Hawk.

• Like 2