Giolito's Decline

coldwatersox

Giolito was absolutely rocked by Cincinnati last night. He has nothing in the tank. Basically, he has morphed into nothingmore than a pitcher (thrower) serving up beach balls to the hitters in a home run derby contest. It is remarkable how far he has fallen this season. He may only get a spring training invite next year without any guarantees. He can forget any possibility of a lucrative long term free agency contract. Who is the "real" Lucas Giolito? Maybe Donaldson was correct about the sticky stuff. His fastball velocity has dropped to the 91 range which eliminates the past effectiveness of his changeup. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

Giolito was absolutely rocked by Cincinnati last night. He has nothing in the tank. Basically, he has morphed into nothingmore than a pitcher (thrower) serving up beach balls to the hitters in a home run derby contest. It is remarkable how far he has fallen this season. He may only get a spring training invite next year without any guarantees. He can forget any possibility of a lucrative long term free agency contract. Who is the "real" Lucas Giolito? Maybe Donaldson was correct about the sticky stuff. His fastball velocity has dropped to the 91 range which eliminates the past effectiveness of his changeup. 

I imagine someone would give him a 1/10.  But that is looking like best case scenario at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I imagine someone would give him a 1/10.  But that is looking like best case scenario at this point.

At this point the Sox need 1/10 guys to fill out the rotation.

If the coaching staff is back, might as well bring back a guy who Katz has had success with + let Bannister get his hands on him.

• Like 4

Cause guys, let's remember that this is the current 2024 rotation under contract:

Cease-Kopech-Schlotens-Patino.

Touki is almost a lock to re-sign. Then you've got the elite battle of Honeywell, Martin's reconstructed arm and Burke (if he exists) in the mix. 

Mena and Nastrini are gonna get a few starts in AAA. Who knows what the plan is for Crochet.

Also, Cease could be traded, creating a true Murdered Row of a rotation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coldwatersox said:

It was a good trade for the Sox after all.

• Like 1

Stereotype of Jerry Reinsdorf today: totally unwilling to change things or take outside feedback. Reinsdorf fires his GM, finds the only mediocre white guy in his organization who won't give him independent and outside feedback or demand for him to change anything about how he's running the organization, hires him for GM without competition. Completely living up to the stereotype, to the letter.

Stereotype of Jerry Reinsdorf: so anti-union that basic things like "being a spokesperson for the Union during the 2021 lockout would be totally infuriating for him and a complete breaking point with that player". A few months later, the team breaks off negotiations and takes that player to an arbitration hearing over a difference in salary of $50,000 -  a stunningly petty move that counts as completely living up to the stereotype, to the letter. 

You can do more of these, the LaRussa hiring, draft picks, international signings, front office staffing, low pay for his part time employees, he is basically living up to every stereotype we have for him.

And now that the player who was a public union spokesperson was traded away, and Reinsdorf has spent the last several years totally and utterly living up to every single bad stereotype about him to the letter in every single way we can think of, we expect him to do the exact opposite and bring that player back? If we get a thread about Giolito coming back, you may call me on this one and I will say that Reinsdorf shocked me because I sure don't see this as Reinsdorf behavior.

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If I'm Giolito, I probably don't want to come back here lol watch him sign a one-year deal in LA (Dodgers) back home and become a stud.

Nope. They might have made an offer. 

The Sox non signings of pitchers seem like they know what they are doing.