Kim Ng walks away from Marlins

Buehrle>Wood

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dejon Watson was also mentioned. He has history with Tony La Russa and Dave Stewart so that wouldn’t be a surprise 

He seems fine. I'd be happy if we raided all the Nats FO that was lopped off, not sure they'd want to join. 

But mainly DiPuglia, but it seems like Paddy is staying.

• Like 2

This would be a nice Opening Day 2025 scenario, would mirror 2019 in terms of having a good solid young core, with payroll flexibility in terms of putting together a solid 2026-2029 run.

Other option is to pass on both the 2024 / 2025 classes beyond 1-2 solid long term pieces and target 2026 (Gives Ramos and Quero and extra year, call up Montgomery for 2025) as the first contention year if Jerry lives beyond the 2024 season. Perhaps pair Benintendi with Cease in a 2024 deal for maximum payroll flexibility, have one or two rookie pitchers drafted or acquired to slot in 2026. Let Eloy walk after next year if you're postponing contention until 2026.

Possible 2025 Scenario

Front Office:

• Owner: Melody Hobson
  • President of Baseball Operations: Kim Ng
  • GM/Manager: TBD

Lineup:

1. SS Colson Montgomery (23 L) Pre Arb 1
  2. 2B Gleyber Torres (28 R) 2025 Free Agent
  3. CF Luis Robert Jr. (27 R) $15.0M
  4. DH Eloy Jimenez (28 R) $16.5M
  5. 1B Andrew Vaughn (27 R) Arb 2
  6. C Edgar Quero (22 S) Pre Arb 1
  7. 3B Bryan Ramos (23 R) Pre Arb 1
  8. LF Andrew Benintendi (30 L) $17.1M
  9. RF Oscar Colas (26 R) Pre Arb 3

Bench:

1. C Victor Caratini (31 R) Free Agent
  2. INF Romy Gonzalez (28 R) Pre Arb 3
  3. INF / OF TBD
  4. OF Yoelqui Cespedes (28 R) Pre Arb 1/2

Rotation:

1. Shane Bieber (30 R) 2025 Free Agent
  2. Tyler Glasnow (31 R) 2025 Free Agent
  3. Dylan Cease (29 R) Arb 3
  4. Michael Kopech (29 R) Arb 3
  5. Garrett Crochet (26 L) Arb 2

Bullpen:

1. L. Hendriks (36 R) - 2 Year Contract Adjustment (2024-2025 + 2026 Team Option)
  2. G. Santos (25 R) Pre Arb 3
  3. L. Patino (25 R) Arb 1
  4. T. Banks (33 L) Pre Arb 3
  5. M. Foster (30 R) Arb 2
  6. TBD
  7. TBD
  8. TBD

Buyouts: $6.25M

1. Yoan Moncada $5.0M
  2. Aaron Bummer $1.25M
Edited by South Side Hit Men

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This would be a nice Opening Day 2025 scenario, would mirror 2019 in terms of having a good solid young core, with payroll flexibility in terms of putting together a solid 2026-2029 run.

Other option is to pass on both the 2024 / 2025 classes beyond 1-2 solid long term pieces and target 2026 (Gives Ramos and Quero and extra year, call up Montgomery for 2025) as the first contention year if Jerry lives beyond the 2024 season. Perhaps pair Benintendi with Cease in a 2024 deal for maximum payroll flexibility, have one or two rookie pitchers drafted or acquired to slot in 2026. Let Eloy walk after next year if you're postponing contention until 2026.

Possible 2025 Scenario

Front Office:

• Owner: Melody Hobson
  • President of Baseball Operations: Kim Ng
  • GM/Manager: TBD

Lineup:

1. SS Colson Montgomery (23 L) Pre Arb 1
  2. 2B Gleyber Torres (28 R) 2025 Free Agent
  3. CF Luis Robert Jr. (27 R) $15.0M
  4. DH Eloy Jimenez (28 R) $16.5M
  5. 1B Andrew Vaughn (27 R) Arb 2
  6. C Edgar Quero (22 S) Pre Arb 1
  7. 3B Bryan Ramos (23 R) Pre Arb 1
  8. LF Andrew Benintendi (30 L) $17.1M
  9. RF Oscar Colas (26 R) Pre Arb 3

Bench:

1. C Victor Caratini (31 R) Free Agent
  2. INF Romy Gonzalez (28 R) Pre Arb 3
  3. INF / OF TBD
  4. OF Yoelqui Cespedes (28 R) Pre Arb 1/2

Rotation:

1. Shane Bieber (30 R) 2025 Free Agent
  2. Tyler Glasnow (31 R) 2025 Free Agent
  3. Dylan Cease (29 R) Arb 3
  4. Michael Kopech (29 R) Arb 3
  5. Garrett Crochet (26 L) Arb 2

Bullpen:

1. L. Hendriks (36 R) - 2 Year Contract Adjustment (2024-2025 + 2026 Team Option)
  2. G. Santos (25 R) Pre Arb 3
  3. L. Patino (25 R) Arb 1
  4. T. Banks (33 L) Pre Arb 3
  5. M. Foster (30 R) Arb 2
  6. TBD
  7. TBD
  8. TBD

Buyouts: $6.25M

1. Yoan Moncada $5.0M
  2. Aaron Bummer $1.25M

And how on earth are you getting Bieber and Glasnow without trading Montgomery, Quero or Ramos?

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

And how on earth are you getting Bieber and Glasnow without trading Montgomery, Quero or Ramos?

They are 2025 Free Agents. I agree would be nice to bring in better 4-5 and shift both to the bullpen, but don’t see the Sox being able to sign five solid FA pitchers, will be lucky to get two. With Jerry, they will likely get zero.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They are 2025 Free Agents. I agree would be nice to bring in better 4-5 and shift both to the bullpen, but don’t see the Sox being able to sign five solid FA pitchers, will be lucky to get two. With Jerry, they will likely get zero.

Again, you aren't getting those two pitchers without trading serious assets.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

53 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Again, you aren't getting those two pitchers without trading serious assets.

Wasn't it stated that they would be FA signings?

Bieber's best days are behind him and Glasnow is so injury prone that both feel like classic "buy higher then recede" and hamstring the payroll Sox moves...not far off from the impact of Keuchel and Lynn in the Sox collapse.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Call me crazy, but I don’t get the Kim Ng infatuation.  More qualified than Getz to be our head baseball decision maker?  Sure, but I wouldn’t be rushing out to scoop her up right now if the GM job was open.

She may not be the best option, may not be good enough for many teams, but she is 10 times more qualified than anyone the Sox have hired in the 21st century. Our bar is set a little lower, and she clears it easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

She may not be the best option, may not be good enough for many teams, but she is 10 times more qualified than anyone the Sox have hired in the 21st century. Our bar is set a little lower, and she clears it easily.

An owner is willing to disrespect their GM by publicly announcing personnel decisions and goals without consulting the GM,  is generally a bad thing in every way possible. Chris Getz proved he was ok with this on the day he was hired. Kim Ng just resigned from a job because the owner decided to undercut her. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

An owner is willing to disrespect their GM by publicly announcing personnel decisions and goals without consulting the GM,  is generally a bad thing in every way possible. Chris Getz proved he was ok with this on the day he was hired. Kim Ng just resigned from a job because the owner decided to undercut her. 

What did Jerry announce then?

Kim Ng seems like a nice person. I wouldn’t wish employment under Jerry on her or any other human being.

Its the place to go for FO and players with no other viable options with few exceptions (Jason B. being one who has to deal with Boyer bullshit each year, and Jerry’s cheap ass when he made them announce road games in a Chicago bunker).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The "We need to win soon" and "Here is a CBA violation I am definitely not interested in Ohtani and the White Sox will not be bidding on him" statements in his press conference. 

He didn't comment about the amount Ohtani is asking, or hint that there was any collusion between owners preventing the team from bidding. It also would be difficult to prove the union's gold standard that it harmed Ohtani's value. So I'm not certain that's a violation. 

I'm more curious than anything. The Mets and Yankees had a much more serious issue last year that didn't result in anything, this seems like nothing in comparison. 

I enjoy criticizing JR as much as anybody but I can't get too worked up over this with all the other stupid, self destructive, idiocy he's done. 

57 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He didn't comment about the amount Ohtani is asking, or hint that there was any collusion between owners preventing the team from bidding. It also would be difficult to prove the union's gold standard that it harmed Ohtani's value. So I'm not certain that's a violation. 

I'm more curious than anything. The Mets and Yankees had a much more serious issue last year that didn't result in anything, this seems like nothing in comparison. 

I enjoy criticizing JR as much as anybody but I can't get too worked up over this with all the other stupid, self destructive, idiocy he's done. 

Stating that you are not interested in a free agent definitely affects the market for a free agent because it makes it fewer teams who might be bidding that we don’t know about. It is absolutely a market distortion, the most famous agent in the sport is legendary for his leverage of unknown mystery teams in the bidding process, that isn’t credible when people like Reinsdorf are allowed to flaunt the rules.

Hete is a very similar example from Aaron Judge that if it happened was absolutely tampering, just as Reinsdorf’s was.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/17/aaron-judge-free-agency-mets-yankees-tampering

In this context, it is absolutely undercutting his newly hired GM, who should absolutely have the authority to make player personnel decisions himself. With their cleared payroll, Getz could have had an option where he comes in with a plan to offer Ohtani $400 million and aim for 2025 when his elbow is healed and it could be a real strategy. But this owner doesn’t respect his GM enough to allow him to work, and Ng is smart enough to see that- she just quit when an owner tried to pull that crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Balta1701 

And nothing happened in the Mets/Yankees case. One of the keys is 

The CBA does not allow clubs to share information about players’ contracts or free-agent negotiations, specifically stating, “Players shall not act in concert with other Players and Clubs shall not act in concert with other Clubs.”

JR was not in negotiations and was not in concert with any other clubs. For it to affect the market other teams would have to believe the Sox were serious bidders. Which we both know wasn't going to happen. If we know it, and the vast majority of the world knows it, then any GM seriously negotiating for Ohtani will know it. The only GM possibly dumb enough to believe the Sox were serious bidders is Getz. And obviously he wouldn't be in serious negotiations. I'm not saying it was a good thing, I agree it's making a public statement that should be private both for internal moral and for public relations. It just isn't anything MLB or the Player's Union has previously pursued. 

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Stating that you are not interested in a free agent definitely affects the market for a free agent because it makes it fewer teams who might be bidding that we don’t know about. It is absolutely a market distortion, the most famous agent in the sport is legendary for his leverage of unknown mystery teams in the bidding process, that isn’t credible when people like Reinsdorf are allowed to flaunt the rules.

Hete is a very similar example from Aaron Judge that if it happened was absolutely tampering, just as Reinsdorf’s was.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/17/aaron-judge-free-agency-mets-yankees-tampering

In this context, it is absolutely undercutting his newly hired GM, who should absolutely have the authority to make player personnel decisions himself. With their cleared payroll, Getz could have had an option where he comes in with a plan to offer Ohtani $400 million and aim for 2025 when his elbow is healed and it could be a real strategy. But this owner doesn’t respect his GM enough to allow him to work, and Ng is smart enough to see that- she just quit when an owner tried to pull that crap.

JR was just stating the obvious. Besides, Ohtani would never consider the White Sox anyway. He’s already ruled out the Cubs because it’s too cold.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:38 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

Kim Ng seems like a nice person. I wouldn’t wish employment under Jerry on her or any other human being.

JR can't be around too much longer. Maybe that makes the job a bit more appealing. I can't see any way in which having her isn't better than not having her.