Mike Clevinger declines player option.

WestEddy

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not a a surprise, but damn does Getz have his work cut out for him to build a solid rotation.

It's not just the pitching staff. I think the Sox have got like 10 legit big leaguers on their entire roster, and not all of them are good. (Bummer, Cease, Kopech?, Crochet?, Santos?, TA, Moncada, Vaughn, Benintendi, Eloy.) The other 26 guys are a mix of prospects and roster fillers. Mostly the latter.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

It's not just the pitching staff. I think the Sox have got like 10 legit big leaguers on their entire roster, and not all of them are good. (Bummer, Cease, Kopech?, Crochet?, Santos?, TA, Moncada, Vaughn, Benintendi, Eloy.) The other 26 guys are a mix of prospects and roster fillers. Mostly the latter.

From my perspective, we need three starters, at least three relievers, a starting catcher, a RF, and a 2B to have any chance of competing.  If they decline Tim’s option or decide to trade him (which we’ll know by Monday) then there are at least 10 holes to fill.  And that doesn’t even count the bench or general pitching depth.  It’s literally going to take a miracle to compete next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Sox have 1 starting pitcher now. Is this "good luck" for Getz?

I'd say this is more good luck to a guy who no one wanted at either the trade deadline and who cleared waivers completely despite being healthy and on a good roll of pitching thinking he will get more than $8 million on the open market. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd say this is more good luck to a guy who no one wanted at either the trade deadline and who cleared waivers completely despite being healthy and on a good roll of pitching thinking he will get more than $8 million on the open market. 

Or playing for the Sox sucks that much he'd take a pay cut to go somewhere else. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Think it’s more no one wanted to pay him that much money plus the $4M buyout for a handful of starts honestly.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is why you need to trade Cease.  Just a complete waste to waste him on a team with no hope.

The small market habitual losing fanbase syndrome strikes again.   Next up is the Sox/Royals rivalry in the battle for last place. 

Clevinger is basically looking for more money in an overpaid market.   It's business.  Some owner will risk giving him more money than Jerry. I'm sure media heads will throw around "culture".  

Edited by kitekrazy