Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

On 1/15/2024 at 4:24 PM, Texsox said:

I thought the Angels would have him signed by now. The Rays seem like a good fit but maybe the off the field stuff will cause them to pass. 

He's only 30, I can't believe he hasn't signed yet. 

Basically this is the off season to low ball the downtrodden because almost every year recently baseball has faced financial crisis ;COVID, labor problems and the RSN stuff.

The top guys keep getting the big bucks and your last season means more than anything right now. But even a guy like Snell who had a pretty good last season has enough red flags to warrant caution.

You'd think Cease would be a top guy but he's closer to what Snell is without the great last season. Cease does have the durability factor over Snell .

TA has to decide on a lower AAV but multi-year deal or a 1 year prove it deal.

If he's financially sound still with millions in the bank and sound investments he can probably afford to take a 1 years prove it deal to maximize future value by putting together a good season but his time is running out. Can he get his head out of his ass and still hit without being a bad fielder and bad teammate ? Lots of baggage with TA. He's going to need one guy somewhere out there to believe in him.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:32 AM, Dick Allen said:

Weird this thread came back as I was just thinking last night how a lot of players have to be freaking out right now, including TA. If he doesn't get anything soon, he may be lucky to get Nicky Lopez money.

I know this wasn't a deep FA class with difference makers, but there are still a lot of guys unsigned that should be with a team.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I know this wasn't a deep FA class with difference makers, but there are still a lot of guys unsigned that should be with a team.

I was watching MLBN a couple of years ago and Kevin Millar was talking about free agency for non elite free agents. He said they start getting worried at Christmas if they don't have a deal, and the longer it drags out, their chances of getting anything near what they hoped are decreasing.

I just can't see TA getting an 8 figure guarantee. Maybe he hits some incentives he gets there, but he's really cost himself some money. It's really a shame. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Anderson seems to perform at his best only when he has absolute confidence in himself and his abilities, while also simultaneously receiving praise/validation both from everyone in his bubble (friends, family, teammates, other teams' players) and also outside the bubble (fans, media). There's a certain duality of narcissism and self-doubt, where it's either one extreme or the other. He's either:
- performing to the utmost of ability, or
- things are all crashing down; his confidence wavers and he no longer thinks he's the best, and he performs terribly

I don't even intend for any of the above to be critical or derisive; I do think he'd greatly benefit from a top-notch sports psychologist, and beyond that also a personal one.

• Like 3

Perhaps lost in this is SS was going to be a rock solid position for us.  If they had given him a Wander Franco type deal a year ago or two ago hardly anyone (other than the usual nay sayers) would have been happy. 

It sucks for him, his family, the team, and with just a hint of hyperbole, baseball. 

The left side of the infield looked so damn good just a couple years ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching MLBN a couple of years ago and Kevin Millar was talking about free agency for non elite free agents. He said they start getting worried at Christmas if they don't have a deal, and the longer it drags out, their chances of getting anything near what they hoped are decreasing.

I just can't see TA getting an 8 figure guarantee. Maybe he hits some incentives he gets there, but he's really cost himself some money. It's really a shame. 

That's my take as well. Plus I'm guessing there is getting released, and then there is getting released by one of the worst teams in baseball who desperately could use a marque everyday player.

Perhaps GMs are understanding the team is rebuilding, etc. or they are suspicious. That difference could be worth millions. 

He may be desperate, but not looking to Japan desperate. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That's my take as well. Plus I'm guessing there is getting released, and then there is getting released by one of the worst teams in baseball who desperately could use a marque everyday player.

Perhaps GMs are understanding the team is rebuilding, etc. or they are suspicious. That difference could be worth millions. 

He may be desperate, but not looking to Japan desperate. 

He didn't really get "released".  It was a $14M option.  

I feel for TA.  I'd personally welcome him back to try to rebuild some value.  I think he could be useful utility player if he was open to it playing all over the diamond and getting that edge back.  But I don't pretend to know what TA did (or didn't do) in that clubhouse the last few years. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Apparently Tim’s wife Bria is pregnant per her Instagram. What a weird and odd situation.

Why is it weird? I thought a big lesson of the TA controversies was his apparent pro-procreation stance.

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Had an affair/fling with Miguel Cabrera’s wife while coming up through Tigers’ system.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

He supposedly slept with Miguel Cabrera's wife while in Detroit.

I thought it was Prince Fielder’s wife.

Edit: quick Google search says yes, Prince Fielder’s wife.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I thought it was Prince Fielder’s wife.

Edit: quick Google search says yes, Prince Fielder’s wife.

Caulfield and I just had intense Mandela Effect

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Quin locked this topic